No announcement yet.

Menard 2018-2019 season thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trying to catch up on some missed hunting.
    Going this weekend, next weekend, skip a weekend, and then the last weekend of the season.

Comment

Wind is blowing 30-40, temps in the 40's and .3" yesterday and last night. Tomorrow morning should be good.
      Adios,
      Gary

Comment

Thanks for the update Gary. Do you know the dates when the hunters dumpsters are open? We send $$ every year and I misplaced the paper with the schedule on it. Thanks in advance.

Lee.

Comment

Saturday was a beautiful day! Saw 8 bucks at my feeder last night..... just not the “one”.
          I did take a buddy of mine and his son. His son shot his first deer at 16. This buck was aged at 3.5 to 4 years old and was on the list to go. Happy for his son and to get this buck out of the breeding pool.
          Attached Files

Comment

bump! any late season updates? headin out tomorrow!

Comment

Originally posted by DT50 View Post
              bump! any late season updates? headin out tomorrow!
              Headed out Thursday

Comment

Just got back yesterday. Hunted the 22 an the 23. Deer were moving and a lot of bucks. My wife and mom both took nice big studs! Still have shooters coming in. They are going to the feeders like clockwork. Good luck to ya.

Comment

Deer were moving good this morning. Bucks are starting to run together again but a few still won’t have it

Comment

Originally posted by wilcox1088 View Post
                    Deer were moving good this morning. Bucks are starting to run together again but a few still won’t have it
                    Good deal. Hopefully they cooperate for us this weekend

Comment

Originally posted by wilcox1088 View Post
                      When did they rut?? We are between Brady and Menard and at best we saw a slow trickle rut.. Nothing full blown..

Its funny all the old timers in the area say "wait until after Christmas. Thats when the "really big ones" start chasing does"..

In 20 years I have never really seen this activity take place..

Comment

The peak of the rut for us was Thanksgiving week (SE corner of the county). The second rut will be one month later when the does that didn't get bred then come back into cycle.

Comment

bucks were all in a line last night, killed 3 hogs

Comment

Originally posted by DT50 View Post
                            bucks were all in a line last night, killed 3 hogs
                            Make sure you’re turning those bad boys in

Comment

I don’t know about you guys, but this season was one of the slowest I have had in a very long time. Mature buck AND doe sightings were down. My thoughts are that it was the perfect storm in that we received 20 inches of rain before the season and the deer did not move much once it was time to hunt. We also had some wind turbines come up west of us, so don’t know how much that impacts things or not.

Comment

Originally posted by SV72 View Post
                                I don’t know about you guys, but this season was one of the slowest I have had in a very long time. Mature buck AND doe sightings were down. My thoughts are that it was the perfect storm in that we received 20 inches of rain before the season and the deer did not move much once it was time to hunt.
                                That mimics what we saw on our lease.
                                The only bucks I saw worth raising my bino's for were all 3.5-4.5 yo 8's. and they were few and far between. Very few deer worth zooming in on game camera either. In hind sight I wish I would have hunted the rut weeks harder as I didn't think the sightings were going to go down to squat towards the end of season.
                                I did finally see a lack of acorns this week, have been seeing them under the oaks up until now.

Comment

Working...
                                X