Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 11-13-2018, 10:48 PM   #451
Patton
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Edwards, Hays, Caldwell
Default Edwards/Real Counties Hunting Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.C. View Post
Made a trip to western Rocksprings this past weekend. Whitetail movement was very good, coming to corn like they have nothing to eat. I did not witness any sign of the rut getting started. All the boys and girls were playing nice. Something that was different was the amount of axis I saw. This is my second year and I can count on one hand how many I've seen on the hoof. I saw 5 groups in just this weekend!! Could this be from the flood?? Has any high fence people lost animals due to damaged fences? I'm not complaining by any means, just curious of why they show up all of a sudden in such numbers. Good luck folks!!

The axis seem to really move around and Ďmigrateí. Sometimes weíll be loaded with axis crawling all over the place and other times they seem to have vanished. The floods definitely knocked some fence down though.

Good luck to all this weekend, Iím headed to Laguna Atascosa on a draw hunt to hopefully stick a Nilgai. Unfortunately Iím not sure when Iíll make it out the hill country next.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Patton is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-13-2018, 11:41 PM   #452
afishinman14
Ten Point

Hunt In: Edwards, DeWitt County

Headed out Friday morning thru Monday with the wife. Gonna get her to bag 2-3 deer hopefully. And any hogs that walk out. Crossing my fingers for an axis, but we donít have very many out there.

afishinman14 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-14-2018, 09:11 AM   #453
theblakester03
Nubbin' Buck

Two big bodied 8 pointers, 1 heavy horned outside the ears, the other at the ears were chasing doe with their necks down at 7am just outside camp wood. .

theblakester03 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-14-2018, 11:18 AM   #454
DeepDownSouth
Eight Point

Hunt In: Leakey TX
Default Edwards/real

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblakester03 View Post
Two big bodied 8 pointers, 1 heavy horned outside the ears, the other at the ears were chasing doe with their necks down at 7am just outside camp wood. .

Thatís good news !! Canít wait..
DeepDownSouth is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-14-2018, 06:54 PM   #455
Fordnandez
Ten Point

Hunt In: Rocksprings, TX

Headed down this weekend. Looking forward to seeing if the deer are moving or not. Going to try to hammer the hogs for sure. Weather looks like it is going to be pretty dang nice!
Fordnandez is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-15-2018, 11:56 PM   #456
Longue Carabine
Six Point

Hunt In: Medina County

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblakester03 View Post
I forwarded this question to my dad who runs the water corp for his neighborhood. That has give or take 30 meters on it.

"Drilled down to 600 ft and hit water... Drilled further and installed pump at 750 ft into the water. Drilled 50 ft further so we could extend deeper into the aquifer if we should ever start sucking air or aquifer got too low... Well is drilled to 800 ft
Cost is 40 dollars a ft to drill .. expect to hit water at 500 ft... Estimated total.. $ 20,000.
Trinity aquifer.... There are 3 levels ... First level, not good quality... Crown mountain water system in the second level. A little cleaner.... Less metals... Third level is at 1200 ft crystal clean."

Thank you for asking and sharing that detailed information. Also, 1200 ft is pretty **** far
Longue Carabine is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-18-2018, 08:39 AM   #457
DeepDownSouth
Eight Point

Well.. it’s actually been a weird weekend.. there really haven’t been much movement at all. Maybe the Bucks are on lock down some where with a doe.. we are seeing fewer and fewer does. We did get a dang good buck fight on video though. These dudes where getting after it. Wish I knew how to load it up.
Old 11-19-2018, 02:45 PM   #458
Fordnandez
Ten Point

I had a good weekend at our lease. Deer were moving pretty good. Couldn't have asked for better hunting weather although the wind was blowing kind of hard Sunday morning. Good news is we have seen some new bucks on our game cams and have not lost any of our better bucks.
Old 11-22-2018, 10:43 PM   #459
afishinman14
Ten Point

Hunt In: Edwards, DeWitt County

Made a trip down there this past weekend. Between 4 of us we shot 6 does, a cull buck, and 7 hogs. Saw many bucks showing strong interest in does. Even mature bucks 5.5 years old. I would guess theyíre about ready to breed if not already. Peak rut is upon us in Edwards County.

afishinman14 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-23-2018, 04:27 PM   #460
deep n the heat
Ten Point

Hunt In: Barksdale

My daughters and I had a pretty good hunt.

Her axis was definitely an old timer
deep n the heat is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-23-2018, 05:06 PM   #461
sierracharlie338
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Anywhere I can.... seems to be pretty limited these days

Wow Ryan Iíd say he was an old fart for sure! Looks like a good time!

Sierracharlie outÖ
sierracharlie338 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-23-2018, 05:28 PM   #462
Bh_liberty
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep n the heat View Post
My daughters and I had a pretty good hunt.

Her axis was definitely an old timer

Awesome

Bh_liberty is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-26-2018, 11:51 AM   #463
Patton
Pope & Young

Some good animals hitting the ground! Iíve only got one Edwards county trip in this fall but am going to try to make it this weekend. Wish the temps werenít scheduled to rise back up though.

No Nilgai luck for me on the draw hunt but I did whack a big sow and passed on some small deer.
Old 11-26-2018, 06:09 PM   #464
2coolforschool
Banned!!!

Arrowed a decent buck Saturday evening with just enough light to make a good shot. Came in following a doe with twin fawns. Staged for a bit, sniffed a oak branch that many bucks have been using to leave their scent behind, and came into cottonseed basket at 20 yards from my tripod. Watched him run 60-70 yards. Didnít find my arrow, but he took off like a scalded dog. Started tracking an hour later. Buddy found first blood where I lost track of the deer. I found the buck seconds later 20 yards from where by buddy had found blood. Made a great shot on him very tight to shoulder and lower third of chest cavity. Found my arrow the following morning. It blew right though him ten yards beyond where he was standing in some tall grass. I need to invest in lighted nocks going forward. Tracking deer in the dark sucks too. Much prefer killing in daylight. Taped out at 116 and field dressed 102 pounds. Estimated at 4.5 with no previous history. I imagine he came off the overgrazed sheep pasture next door to us. The deer will kill that are on our feed regularly are much heavier.

2coolforschool is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-26-2018, 06:13 PM   #465
DeepDownSouth
Eight Point

Default Edwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton View Post
Some good animals hitting the ground! Iíve only got one Edwards county trip in this fall but am going to try to make it this weekend. Wish the temps werenít scheduled to rise back up though.

No Nilgai luck for me on the draw hunt but I did whack a big sow and passed on some small deer.
Heck ya Patton !!! Big ol Nasty !!! I havent been to the ranch n 2 weeks and probably not for another few weeks. Guys at the lease are saying they are moving..maybe Iíll catch them coming back to feed and fueling up when i get back...
Old 11-26-2018, 06:47 PM   #466
Davoh
Ten Point

Hunt In: Rocksprings, Tx

Finally got my first trip to Rocksprings of the year, coming up next month. Was sweatin it thinking I might not get to go. Now I'm starting to get excited, and this thread isn't calming me down any!
Davoh is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-26-2018, 09:30 PM   #467
rosco11
Ten Point

Hunt In: Rocksprings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davoh View Post
Finally got my first trip to Rocksprings of the year, coming up next month. Was sweatin it thinking I might not get to go. Now I'm starting to get excited, and this thread isn't calming me down any!
Sweet brotha! Maybe these could help too!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
rosco11 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-26-2018, 10:05 PM   #468
sako
Six Point

Hunt In: Uvalde County

We rattled this buck in at 1pm last Tuesday (our 11th to rattle in so far this season). Great hunt on our lease in Real Co. Pics are always sideways!!!!!!!!!!
Attached Images

sako is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-26-2018, 11:24 PM   #469
rosco11
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by sako View Post
We rattled this buck in at 1pm last Tuesday (our 11th to rattle in so far this season). Great hunt on our lease in Real Co. Pics are always sideways!!!!!!!!!!
Nice!

Old 12-03-2018, 11:18 AM   #470
Patton
Pope & Young

Had a good trip to the hill country over the weekend. I checked my cams and got some of the best elk pictures Iíve ever gotten. All the same regular suspects but mostly daytime shots and my main target ĎPinchersí went from camera shy to having a photo shoot one day.

Thursday morning I had a buck I donít know from camera come in, and he shook me up enough that I shot him. Not the biggest by any means but I needed to get on the board with some antler and also really want to just go after the elk. 22 yard shot, he took a step as I fired and I thought I hit further back than I did. He ran off and laid down, after 30 seconds of him not death kicking I ranged him at 57 and sent another one. That finished him.

Called in two sika as well but never heard from the elk. Aoudad were all over this weekend as well.

Last edited by Patton; 12-03-2018 at 11:22 AM.
Old 12-03-2018, 11:24 AM   #471
hef187
Six Point

Hunt In: Del Rio, & Concan

Quote:
Had a good trip to the hill country over the weekend. I checked my cams and got some of the best elk pictures Iíve ever gotten. All the same regular suspects but mostly daytime shots and my main target ĎPinchersí went from camera shy to having a photo shoot one day.

Thursday morning I had a buck I donít know from camera come in, and he shook me up enough that I shot him. Not the biggest by any means but I needed to get on the board with some antler and also really want to just go after the elk. 22 yard shot, he took a step as I fired and I thought I hit further back than I did. He ran off and laid down, after 30 seconds of him not death kicking I ranged him at 57 and sent another one. That finished him.

Called in two sika as well but never heard from the elk. Aoudad were all over this weekend as well.
Congrats!! Good luck on that Elk!!

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
hef187 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-03-2018, 11:24 AM   #472
TildenHunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tilden & Utopia

Nice buck Patton and "Pinchers" is off the charts! I hope you can get him. Will you pick up the rifle for him or just go straight archery for him? He is a heck of a Texas elk. Good luck!
TildenHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-03-2018, 11:31 AM   #473
Patton
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by TildenHunter View Post
Nice buck Patton and "Pinchers" is off the charts! I hope you can get him. Will you pick up the rifle for him or just go straight archery for him? He is a heck of a Texas elk. Good luck!
Thanks Hunter! Later today Iíll post up pics of him going back to 2016. Iíve Ďmade the roundsí on the exotics out there and am limiting myself to just archery for any sika, axis, or aoudad. Pinchers is a little bit more special and I would be fine breaking out the rifle. On Saturday I was actually carrying my bow and had my rifle strapped to my pack. I have a little over 2 months before he drops antlers, but wonít be able to hunt out there until (possibly) New Years. If he sheds, Iíll b after him with a bow in early September.
Old 12-03-2018, 11:54 AM   #474
TildenHunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tilden & Utopia

Quote:
Thanks Hunter! Later today Iíll post up pics of him going back to 2016. Iíve Ďmade the roundsí on the exotics out there and am limiting myself to just archery for any sika, axis, or aoudad. Pinchers is a little bit more special and I would be fine breaking out the rifle. On Saturday I was actually carrying my bow and had my rifle strapped to my pack. I have a little over 2 months before he drops antlers, but wonít be able to hunt out there until (possibly) New Years. If he sheds, Iíll b after him with a bow in early September.
No shame either way
TildenHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-03-2018, 12:05 PM   #475
rosco11
Ten Point

Quote:

Man.. thats a crazy huge elk.. weve never seen more than a young spike on our place. Granted, I'm pumped to have any at all. We do have some massive cow elk though.

That audad got tore up by something on that one side!

Old 12-03-2018, 12:26 PM   #476
Fordnandez
Ten Point

Great pictures Patton. I bet that elk will empty that protein feeder in a hurry. We have a bunch of white tail on our place that has the exact same characteristics of the deer you shot.
Old 12-03-2018, 01:05 PM   #477
Txdeerhunter243
Ten Point

Hunt In: Edwards and Lavaca co.

Patton, that's an awesome bull!
I've only ever gotten a single pic of one that size at my place.
Txdeerhunter243 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-05-2018, 11:18 AM   #478
ballgame
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hill Country

that is a STUD Texas elk.

We have a pic of one this year that I thought was huge...... until I saw your picture!!!!!
ballgame is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-05-2018, 01:11 PM   #479
Txdeerhunter243
Ten Point

I'm heading out to my ranch this weekend and next. Hoping for some decent activity. December is typically the best month to hunt out there. Rut should be in early phase, as they usually breed late December through early January at my place. But I'm more interested in the exotics these days any ways.
Old 12-05-2018, 01:45 PM   #480
rosco11
Ten Point

Nice guys!

My dad is going out Early tomorrow and I'm headed out after work in Friday!

Big rain in the forecast but i hope the brunt of it stays north of us

Old 12-05-2018, 01:53 PM   #481
Patton
Pope & Young

Thanks y’all.

Rosco- The aoudad scratch themselves with their horns and I also think they get rashes of some sort. I don’t know if it’s a ‘heat rash’, over scratching, flies/bugs, falling, etc but not too uncommon on the older rams.

(Ram from Post #470 is the guy in the back right).

Fordandez- The protein feeders are timed so they can’t empty them at their own will. Surprisingly every time I check the tubes, they are holding feed in them.

Pinchers... Named for his short 5s. I didn’t start running cams until 2016 and it didn’t take long to start getting elk pics. In the past I had seen tracks/scat and heard them a few times, and see a few different cow groups. However that summer I got my first big bull pic- who I believe to be Pinchers. Not 100% positive but fairly certain. I would get bull elk pics often but this is the only one of him from that year.

In 2017 he became a little better known.

This pic of him in Feb 2018 bugling has been my phone background all year..

Better believe I had him on my mind each time I checked cams this summer. Plenty of bulls around, but no sign of Pinchers until he showed up for a night in July and a foggy morning in early August.

November he showed up for several days at 2 different feeders, one of those times was for a long afternoon in the daylight.

I've never wanted to get an animal so bad. It took me 2 years to hunt down a Sika, and another 2 years to get a trophy Aoudad. All the while I passed incredible animals because they weren't my target. I can already see that the hunt for Pinchers is going to be long and difficult, and like other hunts I've been passing up other species trophies in pursuit of him. I've seen 4 bull elk in person in the past year or so(one shot opportunity), and now realizing how big Pinchers is- none of the other ones matter to me.

If y'all enjoy that post, maybe in a few day's I'll post up the history with one of the other bulls, Whale's Tail, that I called in earlier this year w/ a broken beam. He's now broken both of his beams..

Last edited by Patton; 12-05-2018 at 02:11 PM.
Old 12-05-2018, 02:15 PM   #482
Txdeerhunter243
Ten Point

Great pics Patton!
I also use timed protein feeders.The elk and aoudad wipe them out too quickly when it's freely "on-demand". If undisturbed, packs of aoudad and cow elk will just hang around the protein feeders for hours gorging themselves lol.
Old 12-06-2018, 06:56 PM   #483
Southernhunters
Four Point

Guys we are on 41 between Mountain Home and The Garven Store and have been having trouble pinpointing exactly when our Whitetail rut is......any of you guys around there and have been for a while have any info for me?? Weíve only been there a few years and it still completely puzzles us.....sometimes weíd swear it was late October by what we see and then other tines it seems like later November early December??

Southernhunters is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-10-2018, 03:40 PM   #484
axisbowhunter
Four Point

Hunt In: newton, rocksprings, TX

Look who I had a chance at on a hunt north of Patton's place. He came in right at dark. Lucky for him I was in another blind...lol.
Attached Images

axisbowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-10-2018, 03:48 PM   #485
Txhuntr2
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kinney County

Quote:
Originally Posted by axisbowhunter View Post
Look who I had a chance at on a hunt north of Patton's place. He came in right at dark. Lucky for him I was in another blind...lol.

That elk gets around! Why don't yall send him my way next.
Txhuntr2 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-10-2018, 05:06 PM   #486
Patton
Pope & Young

Wow! Mind sending me a PM of where exactly you were at?

Edit- now how am I supposed to get anything done this week.

Last edited by Patton; 12-10-2018 at 05:18 PM.
Old 12-10-2018, 05:27 PM   #487
TheHammer
Ten Point

Hunt In: Coke Co, Panola Co

Wow! That’s awesome that y’all get to hunt that caliber of elk here in Texas! I hope one of y’all knock him down! Keep us updated.
TheHammer is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-10-2018, 05:31 PM   #488
axisbowhunter
Four Point

Hunt In: newton, rocksprings, TX

PM sent Patton
axisbowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-10-2018, 06:16 PM   #489
bloodtrailer28
Pope & Young

You better get up to the ranch and get after him Patton! Stud of a bull!!
bloodtrailer28 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-10-2018, 06:19 PM   #490
Puncher51
Ten Point

Hunt In: Mason, Callahan, and Stonewall Counties

And now Patton is scheduling a trip to the ranch I bet haha. Good luck guys!
Puncher51 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-10-2018, 07:14 PM   #491
Puncher51
Ten Point

Hunt In: Mason, Callahan, and Stonewall Counties

Puncher51 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-12-2018, 01:58 PM   #492
Fordnandez
Ten Point

3 guys on my lease are headed down to our place to spend the rest of the week and the weekend there. I am less than thrilled that previous obligations keep me from going. Weather looks like it is going to be nice also.
Old 12-12-2018, 02:01 PM   #493
Txhuntr2
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kinney County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordnandez View Post
3 guys on my lease are headed down to our place to spend the rest of the week and the weekend there. I am less than thrilled that previous obligations keep me from going. Weather looks like it is going to be nice also.
Weather looks great after Thursday. . Iím headed out Friday morning for a long weekend.
Txhuntr2 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-13-2018, 04:00 PM   #494
Patton
Pope & Young

I might head down on Monday to help with some paid-hunters but I won't be able to hunt for myself until late this month. Good luck to anybody going this weekend.
Old 12-13-2018, 04:21 PM   #495
Txdeerhunter243
Ten Point

Headed west tomorrow for a four day weekend. Weather looks to be pretty nice.

Saw good activity last weekend. Still haven't seen a whitetail that I was interested in yet. Killed 3 hogs and my dad killed a decent sika.
Old 12-13-2018, 06:43 PM   #496
rosco11
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txdeerhunter243 View Post
Headed west tomorrow for a four day weekend. Weather looks to be pretty nice.

Saw good activity last weekend. Still haven't seen a whitetail that I was interested in yet. Killed 3 hogs and my dad killed a decent sika.
Sweet man! Good luck

Old 12-16-2018, 09:01 PM   #497
2coolforschool
Banned!!!

Buck I filmed this past Thursday. Iím just not mad enough at them any more to blast a 120+/- inch whitetail with a rifle. I suppose it would have been different with a bow in hand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYWg...ature=youtu.be

Last edited by 2coolforschool; 12-16-2018 at 09:03 PM.
2coolforschool is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-16-2018, 11:01 PM   #498
rosco11
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2coolforschool View Post
Buck I filmed this past Thursday. Iím just not mad enough at them any more to blast a 120+/- inch whitetail with a rifle. I suppose it would have been different with a bow in hand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYWg...ature=youtu.be
Good looking buck there!

Old 12-17-2018, 08:35 AM   #499
Reel cajun
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txdeerhunter243 View Post
Great pics Patton!
I also use timed protein feeders.The elk and aoudad wipe them out too quickly when it's freely "on-demand". If undisturbed, packs of aoudad and cow elk will just hang around the protein feeders for hours gorging themselves lol.
When you say timed protein feeders, are you talking about feeding protein from a regular feeder and spinner plate?
Reel cajun is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-17-2018, 09:20 AM   #500
texaswoods5
Eight Point

Hunt In: hays, or where ever i can

Are these exotics free range out there or is this high fence? Just curious.
texaswoods5 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top