Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 01-30-2018, 10:31 PM   #1
Chef
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hamilton County
Default (Texans Against) High Speed Rail

After attending our community forum tonight I was curious how many of us on the GS will be affected by this.

I will personally be affected. Our property is just about 400 yards outside of the "proposed" travel route which puts us in the 2 mile swath of possible destruction.
Chef is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-30-2018, 10:35 PM   #2
Playa
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Coleman

Is this a private endeavor between DFW & Austin, or publicly funded?
Playa is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-30-2018, 10:41 PM   #3
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young

I thought it was gonna be high fences. I was headed for the popcorn popper !
Drycreek3189 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-30-2018, 10:48 PM   #4
trophyhunter01
Eight Point

Hunt In: Walker County on the river

Someone will get rich off this mess. Is there really a need for such a transport method.
trophyhunter01 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-30-2018, 11:13 PM   #5
Big pig
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Goliad and Leon Co.

I might. we have owned property in Leon co for 33 years and a proposed route was within rifle distance. Our property value might will be affected as well as the solitude & stress reduction I crave when I spend time there. Some azzhat offered me 1/5 of the $ value of our much improved property. Private business should not be allowed to steal private property for their profits. Not to mention ruin great habitat that holds great quantities of wildlife. “Come and take it” comes to mind.

Big pig
Big pig is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-30-2018, 11:15 PM   #6
Ironman
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Anywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playa View Post
If it's the rail I'm thinking of, it runs between Dallas and Houston.
Ironman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-30-2018, 11:15 PM   #7
bloodstick
Ten Point

Hunt In: All over Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef View Post
After attending our community forum tonight I was curious how many of us on the GS will be affected by this.

I will personally be affected. Our property is just about 400 yards outside of the "proposed" travel route which puts us in the 2 mile swath of possible destruction.

Last i heard, there was supposed to be a single stop (shiro texas).
I dont know how accurate that is, but Shiro is about 9-10 miles as the crow flies from my house. Will bring excess traffic to hwy 30 and no telling what will happen with property values.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bloodstick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-30-2018, 11:17 PM   #8
pure lefty
Ten Point

Hunt In: Leon County and wherever

Part of my place in Leon county is within a mile of the proposed route, gonna mess up my neighbors real bad. I have not received any offers. Last year I saw a helicopter unmarked flying low across the corner of my place. If you look at traffic from Dallas to Houston during the week, most of it is 18 wheelers.
pure lefty is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-30-2018, 11:18 PM   #9
Playa
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Coleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironman View Post
If it's the rail I'm thinking of, it runs between Dallas and Houston.
That what I was thinking too and at one time it was proposed as a publicly funded project in which Iím am totally against it and it has no impact on my daily life or property. But I am against mine and 70% of the populous tax dollars funding a project that only benefits DFW, Austin & Houston.
Playa is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-30-2018, 11:24 PM   #10
Philip-TX
Ten Point

Think DART......mostly empty trains, and muggings on the platforms.
Philip-TX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-30-2018, 11:25 PM   #11
Ironman
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Anywhere

Quote:
That what I was thinking too and at one time it was proposed as a publicly funded project in which Iím am totally against it and it has no impact on my daily life or property. But I am against mine and 70% of the populous tax dollars funding a project that only benefits DFW, Austin & Houston.
Not sure where you keep getting Austin from. The rail proposed doesn't come near Austin.
Ironman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-30-2018, 11:29 PM   #12
Charles
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by trophyhunter01 View Post
Someone will get rich off this mess. Is there really a need for such a transport method.
No... some asshat wants to build something and say look what I accomplished.

They're building one in Cali that is way over budget and way behind schedule.
Charles is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-30-2018, 11:36 PM   #13
Abcdj
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wilbarger county U.S.A.

Dallas to Houston one stop in Bryan. So everyone it effects land wise along the route is #$%@ų# like chuck trying to get on it. It will pass by me around Corsicana going 3000 mph. I haven't read much about it but if there is a 2 mile cone of safety around it I hope never gets on track.
Abcdj is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-31-2018, 12:03 AM   #14
Native Texan
Ten Point

Hunt In: Polk County

Proposed route cuts across my family's farmland and passes about 200 yards from the house we just built for my elderly parents. I personally know a lot of other folks that would be displaced or have their lives drastically disrupted by it.
This boondoggle is a big scam to pad the wallets of a few crooks with taxpayer funds while trampling the rights of property owners and destroying a beautiful part of Texas.
Letting this happen would be a BIG mistake!!

https://www.facebook.com/TexansAgainstHSR/
Native Texan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-31-2018, 12:13 AM   #15
Briar Friar
Ten Point

Hunt In: San Gabriel, Colorado and Rio Grande watersheds

Old Texas law allows railroad surveyors to survey any property anywhere because its railroad. Remember priorities: Football, God, Oil, Railroad. Word on the beat is Houston Aggies wanted a stop near Huntsville to get off and go to BCS. Sensible choice of I45 corridor affects several affluent peoples properties and it got pushed away from that corridor.

I hope Trump sees clear to make an Intra/Interstate public transportation rail system on already owned Interstate highway land. Probably not gonna be popular in the short term with the red crowd. Many will see things two dimensionally when we live in three dimensions physically but actually four if not more...ie...go up or down not left or right.

Good luck to all those GSers affected.

Last edited by Briar Friar; 01-31-2018 at 12:16 AM.
Briar Friar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-31-2018, 12:48 AM   #16
Native Texan
Ten Point

Hunt In: Polk County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briar Friar View Post
Old Texas law allows railroad surveyors to survey any property anywhere because its railroad. Remember priorities: Football, God, Oil, Railroad. Word on the beat is Houston Aggies wanted a stop near Huntsville to get off and go to BCS. Sensible choice of I45 corridor affects several affluent peoples properties and it got pushed away from that corridor.

I hope Trump sees clear to make an Intra/Interstate public transportation rail system on already owned Interstate highway land. Probably not gonna be popular in the short term with the red crowd. Many will see things two dimensionally when we live in three dimensions physically but actually four if not more...ie...go up or down not left or right.

Good luck to all those GSers affected.
Texas Central Rail was threatening landowners with lawsuits and the use of imminent domain to acquire properties at less than market value before they had even finalized a route for the rail. That way they could sell the land at a profit even if the project went a different route or never got off the ground. They don't want the rail to run on current highway or utility corridors...they want the land and have the Japanese investors to fund it's purchase.

If this is allowed to happen, ALL GSers WILL be affected by the taxes to support it.

http://thehill.com/blogs/congress-bl...exans-and-jobs
Native Texan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-31-2018, 01:04 AM   #17
Buck Shot
Eight Point

Hunt In: Freestone County

Last nights forum was just a formality. It's happening and there's not a thing we can do to stop it. It's sickening.
Buck Shot is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-31-2018, 01:14 AM   #18
LWolken
Ten Point

Hunt In: Montgomery & Grimes

Its been a done deal for along time. Look at the environmental study they just did. You don't pay millions for a study unless your trying to win over the public. They announced about two weeks ago there will be a stop near Roans Prairie. They already purchased land to begin building the station. We are down the road in Shiro. Property values are sky high with investors buying up small ranches everywhere so they can flip to rich buisnessmen that may want to build and use the rail.
LWolken is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-31-2018, 06:18 AM   #19
WItoTX
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wisconsin, New Mexico, Colorado, Montana

Quote:
Originally Posted by LWolken View Post
Its been a done deal for along time. Look at the environmental study they just did. You don't pay millions for a study unless your trying to win over the public.
Lol, and if they didn't spend millions the issue would be they didn't spend enough to do a proper study.
WItoTX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-31-2018, 06:29 AM   #20
hunterburch42
Four Point

Hunt In: Ozona

Its going to run right through the middle of my friends property that has been in his family for 4 generations. Such a **** shame.
hunterburch42 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-31-2018, 06:57 AM   #21
JakeGraves
Ten Point

Hunt In: Bronte, TX

I’m a railroad contractor and I object to the dumb idea. There are several key obstacles that have prevented it this far but apparently there have been a lot of people that have already passed the pipe in it.
The whole thing will have to be built on elevated platforms as you cannot have road crossings on high speed rail.
JakeGraves is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-31-2018, 07:02 AM   #22
ColinR
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Roosevelt/Sonora

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abcdj View Post
Dallas to Houston one stop in Bryan. So everyone it effects land wise along the route is #$%@ų# like chuck trying to get on it. It will pass by me around Corsicana going 3000 mph. I haven't read much about it but if there is a 2 mile cone of safety around it I hope never gets on track.
Is that a typo? Or is everyone also going to be dealing with a sonic boom every time it gets going faster than the speed of sound?
ColinR is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-31-2018, 07:09 AM   #23
Capt.Brown
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas

The liberals want us to be more like Europe, I have an idea how about they move to Europe.
Capt.Brown is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-31-2018, 07:09 AM   #24
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Votaw, Hardin/Polk Co., TX. Bon Weir, Newton Co., El Dorado, Schleicher Co., TX.

Runs from Houston to Dallas. Stops in Bryan, and goes 3000 mph?
AntlerCollector is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-31-2018, 07:35 AM   #25
.243 WSSM
Ten Point

Hunt In: Fannin Co

[QUOTE=Briar Friar;13146094]Old Texas law allows railroad surveyors to survey any property anywhere because its railroad. Remember priorities: Football, God, Oil, Railroad. Word on the beat is Houston Aggies wanted a stop near Huntsville to get off and go to BCS. Sensible choice of I45 corridor affects several affluent peoples properties and it got pushed away from that corridor.

Good luck to all those GSers affected

You left off WATER
.243 WSSM is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-31-2018, 07:39 AM   #26
WItoTX
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeGraves View Post
The whole thing will have to be built on elevated platforms as you cannot have road crossings on high speed rail.
How do they cross roads in Europe and Japan?
Old 01-31-2018, 07:42 AM   #27
150class
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Uvalde, Boerne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abcdj View Post
Itís cutting through my inlaws place outside of Corsicana and they arenít happy about it whatsoever.

City people want more convenience...
150class is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-31-2018, 07:44 AM   #28
FVR JR
Six Point

Hunt In: San Saba County, Colorado County

I'm sick of private money making endeavors that use the government for leverage, and eventually leave us paying. If you want to go to Dallas or Houston, get in your car. If you're too lazy for that, get on a plane. Good luck to everyone affected by this mess.
FVR JR is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-31-2018, 07:46 AM   #29
afishinman14
Ten Point

Hunt In: Edwards, DeWitt County

The master plan is to eventually connect Dallas down to San Antonio, thru Austin. And then from San Antonio back to Houston. Making a big commuters' loop. City businessman want to be able to commute to other major cities easily. Supposed to be able to go from Houston to Dallas in under an hour. The stops along the way seem pointless to me. Especially in Bryan or Huntsville. Those are only an hour's drive...

I hate the idea of government over stepping their bounds and ruining land that's been in a family for generations. I bet the interstates and highways got a similar reaction way back in the day. But those aren't privately owned...

afishinman14 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-31-2018, 07:54 AM   #30
WItoTX
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by afishinman14 View Post
The master plan is to eventually connect Dallas down to San Antonio, thru Austin. And then from San Antonio back to Houston. Making a big commuters' loop. City businessman want to be able to commute to other major cities easily. Supposed to be able to go from Houston to Dallas in under an hour. The stops along the way seem pointless to me. Especially in Bryan or Huntsville. Those are only an hour's drive...

I hate the idea of government over stepping their bounds and ruining land that's been in a family for generations. I bet the interstates and highways got a similar reaction way back in the day. But those aren't privately owned...

Self driving cars will defeat mass transit. You are right, it's businesses that need it, but their need is to be able to work the entire time they are travelling. So driving is out of the picture, and this is the next best thing.

In 100 years, folks will look back and be blown away that people actually drove their own cars. Kind of like now, when people look back on horse & buggy days, pre refrigerator days, etc...
Old 01-31-2018, 08:02 AM   #31
Chef
Ten Point

Based on the information provided last night it looks like a total farce. We haven't been surveyed and are in the travel path. How can you complete an environmental survey without stepping foot on every piece of property??
Old 01-31-2018, 08:39 AM   #32
RiverRat1
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by trophyhunter01 View Post
I don't know but I'd wager a ton of taxpayer money is going to it. And I'd wager anything it goes way over budget.
RiverRat1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-31-2018, 08:46 AM   #33
chehunt
Ten Point

Hunt In: Colorado County/ NM

maybe 300 mph
chehunt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-31-2018, 08:49 AM   #34
WItoTX
Ten Point

Quote:
Based on the information provided last night it looks like a total farce. We haven't been surveyed and are in the travel path. How can you complete an environmental survey without stepping foot on every piece of property??
Environmental survey is different than a property survey. they probably flew over, reviewed GIS data, etc...only place they will step foot is places of interest, like indian burial sites, places of known artifacts, fossils, known endangered animal habitat, wetlands, migratory animal routes, stuff like that.
Old 01-31-2018, 08:52 AM   #35
boh347
Pope & Young

Hunt In: coke county, tx Nolan county, tx

Think this is he proposed map.

boh347 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-31-2018, 09:13 AM   #36
denimdeerslayer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Waller

Its not coming too close to me but I honestly cant see a need for this. I dont see how the tickets will be cheaper than airfare between the two cities. Plus just like flying then you got to rent a car so it just makes sense to me to drive.
denimdeerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-31-2018, 09:16 AM   #37
Tryton
Ten Point

Hunt In: Polk and Leon counties

Go to this website. You can zoom in to each county to see it's path.

https://www.texascentral.com/alignment-maps/

Last edited by Tryton; 01-31-2018 at 09:46 AM.
Tryton is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-31-2018, 09:22 AM   #38
DRT
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jones and San Saba Counties and Missouri

Imminent domain has a place. Water reservoirs, running water pipe lines and infrastructure needed for basic human needs sometimes has to be forced. I've seen land owners absolutely refuse to allow water conduit to be run across properties regardless of monies offered. The reality being that within two years of installation the cattle grazing on it had better grazing on the right of way than any other place on the property. However imminent domain has been over used and abused and is too often a tool used to benefit the few instead of the many.

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk
DRT is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-31-2018, 09:45 AM   #39
SpringCreek
Eight Point

Hunt In: Leon Co

We have been to a few meetings about it. Supposed to come through our place. Obviously no one is happy about it. Hoping it doesn't happen!
SpringCreek is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-31-2018, 09:50 AM   #40
scott.str
Ten Point

Hunt In: Mitchell, County

I may be one of the few but I think the US is lacking public transportation. I'd take the rail to make it to my parents house in half or less time it would take me to drive. Heck I could have a lease with friends down there hop the train and ride with them to it. Cut 4-5 hours off the trip for way less then it would cost to drive.
scott.str is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-31-2018, 09:53 AM   #41
Chef
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tryton View Post
Go to this website. You can zoom in to each county to see it's path.

https://www.texascentral.com/alignment-maps/
The information on this site is outdated and incorrect. This original path created in 2014 was west of our property. The current route is approx. 1.5 miles east of its original path.
Old 01-31-2018, 09:56 AM   #42
stinkbelly
Pope & Young

I am against public transportation. It destroys all areas.
stinkbelly is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-31-2018, 09:59 AM   #43
scott.str
Ten Point

Hunt In: Mitchell, County

Any explanation on this? I think it could help alot of familys

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinkbelly View Post
I am against public transportation. It destroys all areas.
scott.str is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-31-2018, 10:05 AM   #44
batmaninja
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hill Country

They have raised something like 2% of the over all cost. It is a scheme in my opinion, and it will be replaced by self driving cars before it is even complete.

Dont see how it will help with the flooding we have seen either.

Southwest airlines by itself will squash it.

The Asian money behind this deal is going to learn what property rights in TX mean, real quick.
batmaninja is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-31-2018, 10:07 AM   #45
150class
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Uvalde, Boerne

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott.str View Post
Any explanation on this? I think it could help alot of familys
Feel free to chip in on the land that will be lost to many familyís also!
150class is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-31-2018, 10:15 AM   #46
Pkripper
Ten Point

Hunt In: East Texas Colorado

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott.str View Post
I may be one of the few but I think the US is lacking public transportation. I'd take the rail to make it to my parents house in half or less time it would take me to drive. Heck I could have a lease with friends down there hop the train and ride with them to it. Cut 4-5 hours off the trip for way less then it would cost to drive.
Clearly in the minority with you but I like the idea. The trains in Europe are incredible and easy. This stuff should have been done decades ago. I hate it for people who own land and would be adversely effected but as a whole I think it is great. Especially for the slow nervous drivers clogging up the passing lane.
Pkripper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-31-2018, 10:22 AM   #47
Chef
Ten Point

Think of it this way.... We fuss and complain all day on here about land owners and how they treat people on their hunting leases. Think of all the leases and property owners on this site and how it will affect their hunting lands. A 4 mile wide swath will be generated constructing this thing. Roads re-routed, bridges built, roads removed from service..... They are going to build an overpass on our property. So all of the dirt needed to build this thing is going to destroy our crop that year(s). Our Private mile long driveway will have to be re-routed because of the overpass so... we have to loose more cropland for them to build us a new road. Who is going to replace the income that is generated from our crops and cattle. Who is going to replace the funds spent on now buying hay for our cattle since they have destroyed current grazing land.

Couple of other points:
1. You cannot discharge a weapon within 1 mile of this thing. So, now I cant hunt my own private property???
2. I am an officer of a privately funded volunteer fire department. We collect $0 dollars from tax monies. How is this going to affect our departments response times, additional call volume during construction, access to the construction sites, mass casualty events?? Who is going to pay for this?? Our current donating families and farmers who are going to loose their incomes as well??
Old 01-31-2018, 10:32 AM   #48
eradicator
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pkripper View Post
Clearly in the minority with you but I like the idea. The trains in Europe are incredible and easy. This stuff should have been done decades ago. I hate it for people who own land and would be adversely effected but as a whole I think it is great. Especially for the slow nervous drivers clogging up the passing lane.
Gotta be somewhere for the pickpockets to work too....
eradicator is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-31-2018, 10:35 AM   #49
Abcdj
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wilbarger county U.S.A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinR View Post
Is that a typo? Or is everyone also going to be dealing with a sonic boom every time it gets going faster than the speed of sound?
Just being a wise arse!
Abcdj is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-31-2018, 10:37 AM   #50
Choppa311
Eight Point

Hunt In: Crockett and Leon County

Quote:
The information on this site is outdated and incorrect. This original path created in 2014 was west of our property. The current route is approx. 1.5 miles east of its original path.
Where is the latest route posted?
Choppa311 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top