Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 01-30-2018, 01:21 PM   #1
DapperDan
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Texas
Default Honeymoon help?

Ok, so I started a thread a while back and since then Iíve made about a foot of progress out a mile on where to go for our honeymoon in June. We donít exactly have a tight budget but we also donít want to spend a ton either just to get there and stay bc my fiancť and I are adventurous and like to actually do things besides sit on a resort.

Here is where we are at. Our options right now are Antigua, St. Lucia, and the Dominican. Activities that are a must for us are snorkeling and beach excursions. Maybe even scuba diving but that will depend when we get there. We definitely like hiking and would want to zip line. Also on the list is fishing, HOWEVER, Iíve been out a hand full of times deep sea fishing and all Iíve ever caught is a bonito. So maybe reef fishing would be a better option to just catch fish???

Weíve been to st Thomas and St. John. St. John was absolutely incredible.

If anyone has any insight on these places or something I may be overlooking in the same price range or havenít thought of that includes these activities then by all means, chime in. We have to get this booked ASAP! Also, are sandals resorts worth the hype and extra coin? Iíve read tons of reviews and it seems they are pretty even with a few other resorts that are less money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DapperDan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-30-2018, 01:24 PM   #2
Bigdaddy
Ten Point

You may want to change the title of your thread. You should be able to take care of the HONEYMOON on your own.
Bigdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-30-2018, 01:26 PM   #3
J-Carp
Ten Point

Going to Thailand in April for 10 days for 6k....good mix of adventure and relaxation. All 5 star hotels and resorts.
J-Carp is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-30-2018, 01:27 PM   #4
recar
Ten Point

I went on my honeymoon last June. Sandals in St, Lucia was amazing. Scuba diving is free at all Sandals resorts now.

Sandals was definitely worth the extra coin. I highly recommend the club level experience.
recar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-30-2018, 01:29 PM   #5
LiftAndShoot
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kaufman County

I stayed in the Ladera resort on St. Lucia for my 'weddingmoon.' It's a drive from the south of the island but - it's all inclusive and it's beautiful. Climb Gros Piton, zip line, hiking, sport fishing (other side of the island) and some other stuff. Private beach within a free taxi ride. Great restaurants pretty close. We really want to go back.
LiftAndShoot is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-30-2018, 01:34 PM   #6
Kenner97
Ten Point

Hunt In: Atascosa, Wilson, Karnes County

Sandal's St. Lucia was awesome. We went snorkling, zip lining, deep sea fishing (well more like riding around because we didn't catch anything) and skiing/wakeboarding.
The skiing/wakeboarding was included at the hotel.

Don't have to worry about taking too much cash because you can pay for everything in advance.
Kenner97 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-30-2018, 01:43 PM   #7
Azzy
Eight Point

Hunt In: Mountain Home, Tx

I went to Dominican and went "fishing". Boat took us out maybe an hour or two and than circled back. I mean they atleast threw lines out and pretended we were trolling. I was ****** and talked **** when we arrived. Still didn't get my money back. It was the first time on a fishing boat going "offshore" with the wife and she got stupid sick so I didn't mind heading back. It was 3 couples. I felt bad for the other 2, tradesman from England and got took for their money, was telling me how he had been saving for 10 years to come to the Dominican...

DR is nice but I would do some serious research about the fishing. We were there for a week, we also don't like staying in the resort. Like exploring the places we travel to. It's fairly inexpensive though, I think we spent maybe $2300 with flight and hotel. Everything included.

The Dominican has beautiful beaches and if you like exploring there are cenotes you can go to with a guide.

I know there are places to Zip Line and snorkel. I don't know how to swim so I didn't look into it much.

Last edited by Azzy; 01-30-2018 at 01:46 PM.
Azzy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-30-2018, 01:56 PM   #8
Mudslinger
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kent Co., Stonewall Co., CO, Limpopo RSA

Punta Cana in the Dominican!
Mudslinger is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-30-2018, 01:57 PM   #9
DapperDan
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by recar View Post
I went on my honeymoon last June. Sandals in St, Lucia was amazing. Scuba diving is free at all Sandals resorts now.

Sandals was definitely worth the extra coin. I highly recommend the club level experience.
Whatís the difference with club level?
Old 01-30-2018, 02:24 PM   #10
deerplanter
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Carp View Post
Going to Thailand in April for 10 days for 6k....good mix of adventure and relaxation. All 5 star hotels and resorts.
Is this per person and is it a tour or who is it with, I'm interested in going there.
deerplanter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-30-2018, 02:34 PM   #11
gingib
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NTX

You already spoiled her with 2 trips out of the country
gingib is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-30-2018, 02:38 PM   #12
afishinman14
Ten Point

Hunt In: Edwards, DeWitt County
Default Honeymoon help?

I've been to Punta Cana. And I've been to Costa Rica.

I'll probably never go back to the Dominican. And me and the wife are dying to go back to Costa Rica. So much more to see. They have more rain forest and volcanoes. Bill fishing is excellent compared to the Atlantic. We caught several sailfish, tons of Dorado, and plenty of bonito. Whole boat to ourselves for $700. Zip lining through the rain forest is awesome. Much better than from pole-to-pole.

I would look into the Pacific coast of Costa Rica. Flights are cheap now on Southwest. We flew into Liberia. Stayed at the RIU Palace Guanacaste. And would do it again.

The Dominican wasn't bad. Don't get me wrong. Fishing is to be desired. Felt much more touristy.

I will say this... snorkeling will be better in the Atlantic/Gulf. Warmer water. Scuba diving is fine either place.

I just enjoyed the jungle and rain forest better in Costa Rica. And we want to go back and do the overnight volcano excursion. Supposed to be awesome, can see the glow reflecting off of the lakes below.

View from the room

Looking back at the resorts from the boat

afishinman14 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-30-2018, 03:04 PM   #13
J-Carp
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerplanter View Post
Is this per person and is it a tour or who is it with, I'm interested in going there.

For both of us. 2 nights in Bangkok and the rest in ko samui. Iím sure It can be done cheaper but we are inexperienced travelers and went through an agent. We made our own schedule as far as excursions go.
J-Carp is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-30-2018, 03:10 PM   #14
DapperDan
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingib View Post
You already spoiled her with 2 trips out of the country
St Thomas and St. John were all in the same trip. And was mostly free through the company I worked for. Cheaper to stay at st Thomas and taxi to St. John. I could happily live on that island.
Old 01-30-2018, 03:13 PM   #15
Grayson
Pope & Young

Hunt In: North Texas

Going to St. Lucia in March. Remind me and I can give you a more or less current report.
Grayson is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-30-2018, 03:14 PM   #16
DapperDan
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by afishinman14 View Post
I've been to Punta Cana. And I've been to Costa Rica.

I'll probably never go back to the Dominican. And me and the wife are dying to go back to Costa Rica. So much more to see. They have more rain forest and volcanoes. Bill fishing is excellent compared to the Atlantic. We caught several sailfish, tons of Dorado, and plenty of bonito. Whole boat to ourselves for $700. Zip lining through the rain forest is awesome. Much better than from pole-to-pole.

I would look into the Pacific coast of Costa Rica. Flights are cheap now on Southwest. We flew into Liberia. Stayed at the RIU Palace Guanacaste. And would do it again.

The Dominican wasn't bad. Don't get me wrong. Fishing is to be desired. Felt much more touristy.

I will say this... snorkeling will be better in the Atlantic/Gulf. Warmer water. Scuba diving is fine either place.

I just enjoyed the jungle and rain forest better in Costa Rica. And we want to go back and do the overnight volcano excursion. Supposed to be awesome, can see the glow reflecting off of the lakes below.

View from the room

Looking back at the resorts from the boat

Iíll look into that. I stayed in a RIU in Cabo several years ago and was impressed with the resort. How long was your fishing trip. Yíall really got into some fish!
Old 01-30-2018, 03:24 PM   #17
afishinman14
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by DapperDan View Post
Iíll look into that. I stayed in a RIU in Cabo several years ago and was impressed with the resort. How long was your fishing trip. Yíall really got into some fish!

It was a 1-day trip. 6-8 hours. They picked us up in the boat, on the beach of our resort. Made it very easy and convenient.

We went for a week. Last few days of May and first few days of June. To give you an idea. Very hot. Bring plenty of sunscreen. Water is very cold.

We also had/saw bioluminescent plankton in the water along the beach at night which was awesome. Lights up with any turbulence in the water. So when we would swim around, it would glow all around us. Pretty cool.

Old 01-30-2018, 03:38 PM   #18
darralld
Eight Point

Are you set on these places? Couples Swept Away in Jamaica is awesome!
darralld is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-30-2018, 03:40 PM   #19
Azzy
Eight Point

Hunt In: Mountain Home, Tx

If you go to Punta Cana, I stayed at the Riu. Room service was nachos we get at the corner store. Buccees has better food than their room service.
Azzy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-30-2018, 03:48 PM   #20
ThePecosBilly
Four Point

Hunt In: West Texas and Backcountry

I've been to Acapulco, Belize, Turks and Caicos, Playa Del Carmen, St Lucia, and Cabo. If you are an all inclusive lover than look no further than Playa Del Carmen or Cabo. St Lucia was probably the worse vacation spot ever for me and what I like do which is have freedom to take off on foot and just be adventurous. With all that said I would go Belize or Turks. Turks has more beach and beautiful water with American luxuries nearby. Belize is my favorite though just cool cool atmosphere and lights out fishing!
ThePecosBilly is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-30-2018, 05:03 PM   #21
DapperDan
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePecosBilly View Post
I've been to Acapulco, Belize, Turks and Caicos, Playa Del Carmen, St Lucia, and Cabo. If you are an all inclusive lover than look no further than Playa Del Carmen or Cabo. St Lucia was probably the worse vacation spot ever for me and what I like do which is have freedom to take off on foot and just be adventurous. With all that said I would go Belize or Turks. Turks has more beach and beautiful water with American luxuries nearby. Belize is my favorite though just cool cool atmosphere and lights out fishing!
Belize was also on the list. Seems a bit more remote as far as no all inclusive. We would love to go and fish and not worry about anything as far as amenities but being itís a honeymoon, I have to give and take. Lol
Old 01-30-2018, 05:04 PM   #22
DapperDan
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by afishinman14 View Post
It was a 1-day trip. 6-8 hours. They picked us up in the boat, on the beach of our resort. Made it very easy and convenient.

We went for a week. Last few days of May and first few days of June. To give you an idea. Very hot. Bring plenty of sunscreen. Water is very cold.

We also had/saw bioluminescent plankton in the water along the beach at night which was awesome. Lights up with any turbulence in the water. So when we would swim around, it would glow all around us. Pretty cool.

Do you remember who you booked with for fishing and are you able to take any catch back to the resort?
Old 01-30-2018, 05:14 PM   #23
donpablo
Ten Point

Hunt In: Iraan, Culberson County & Public Land
Talking Wait, What?

For a second there I read the thread title and thought, "Well I guess if y'all swing that way..."
donpablo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-30-2018, 05:29 PM   #24
DapperDan
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by donpablo View Post
For a second there I read the thread title and thought, "Well I guess if y'all swing that way..."
Big nope there buddy! She canít handle what she gets from me.

The Bullchit that is! 😂
Old 01-30-2018, 05:34 PM   #25
ThePecosBilly
Four Point

Hunt In: West Texas and Backcountry

Quote:
Belize was also on the list. Seems a bit more remote as far as no all inclusive. We would love to go and fish and not worry about anything as far as amenities but being itís a honeymoon, I have to give and take. Lol
Haha Yeah don't get a divorce over your first trip together.
ThePecosBilly is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-30-2018, 05:47 PM   #26
HoustonHunter94
Pope & Young

We went to the Dominican on our Honeymoon and wasnít impressed. Had to go back 6 months later for a wedding, stayed at a different place and had a decent time but donít care to ever go back.

HoustonHunter94 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-30-2018, 05:49 PM   #27
LiftAndShoot
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kaufman County

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePecosBilly View Post
This is a good point that was left out of my St. Lucia post. There was nothing within walking distance. I didn't stay in the 'resort town' side of the island, though.
LiftAndShoot is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-30-2018, 09:49 PM   #28
afishinman14
Ten Point

Quote:
Do you remember who you booked with for fishing and are you able to take any catch back to the resort?

I believe we used Papagayo Fishing

www.papagayofishing.net

You look at their fleet online and pick which boat you want. You won't be going out of sight of the beach. So you don't need the $2000 luxury boat. We got the $750 boat for just us (you can split it with strangers if you want). And we loved that it was just use for every major hookup. They served lunch, snacks and beer/water for that price.

We could keep whatever we wanted and Riu cooked it up for us too. We elected to only keep 1 good sized Mahi for that. No great way to keep fish in the cooler or bring it back to the states. So we just ate that fish, that night. The deck hands and captain will ask you what you want to keep. And they'll keep the rest for themselves usually. Which is fine. You can't keep any sailfish or marlin. All catch and release. So if you want a replica mount, take good pictures and measurements.

Google "Costa Rica fishing Guanacaste" and you'll see all your choices for charters. They'll usually list which hotels they can pick you up from. And you'll notice several different websites all have the same boats..

We had a great time. Even got video of my wife catching reeling in her sailfish and it jumping a few times. Very cool.

Bring tons of your own sunscreen. I cannot stress this enough. If you forget it.. it's very expensive to purchase there. Like $50 for a 8oz tube.

Old 01-31-2018, 06:55 AM   #29
Snowflake Killa
Ten Point

Hunt In: East Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiftAndShoot View Post
I stayed in the Ladera resort on St. Lucia for my 'weddingmoon.' It's a drive from the south of the island but - it's all inclusive and it's beautiful. Climb Gros Piton, zip line, hiking, sport fishing (other side of the island) and some other stuff. Private beach within a free taxi ride. Great restaurants pretty close. We really want to go back.
This will be me and my wife's 4th year going here. I couldn't tell you much on things to do never left the room has its own pool and a Butler . Felt weird about having a Butler bring you everything but after about a hour I got over it
Snowflake Killa is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-31-2018, 07:59 AM   #30
hooligan
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sterling Co.

We stayed at the Sandals in Antigua for our honeymoon and it was amazing. I’d go back in a heartbeat. We looked at St Lucia and friends have said it’s great and a lot of outdoor stuff to do. We ended up going to Antigua because we just wanted to sit on the beach and relax
hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top