Raising Garage floor question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Raising Garage floor question

Due to Harvey we are doing a complete make over on our house. One project is to raise the level of the garage to the same level
    As the rest of the house. Right now there is a 10” difference leaving the house and entering the garage which hasn’t been used to park cars in years and we’ve decided to enclose it in. What would
    Be the best option to raise it to make it level with the rest of the slab? I’ve heard I could bring in dirt/sand and raise it 6”
    Then pour a 4” slab, or pour a 4” slab then make a wood floor to bring it up. I think pouring a 24’x24’x10” thick slab will be way to costly.need opinions green screen! And I’m open to other suggestions as well.

Contact Mapei's technical department. They are very helpful. http://www.mapei.com/US-EN/

Comment

2x and lumber is the lowest cost. Negatives are the potential for more sound and bounce depending on how you install (spans and adhesives).

Concrete is simple and not expensive. No more than 3-5 yds or $300-500. Any 2000 mix will work. Lay down poly so the next owner has options with your garage.

Comment

They have a product called "form fill" that they use at the chemical plants. Basically if they need to pour a slab and the grade is not sufficient they will pour this. It is portland, sand and no gravel. It is self leveling which will allow you to pour a slab on top. They also use this product to fill up holes, washed out pipes, etc..... I am not sure on the cost but it is an option.

I guess you could bring in select fill and compact it then pour. Make sure you put down a poly barrier.

Comment

6" of foam, then pour a 4" slab on top. Foam is used to take up space on things like concrete steps inside of buildings, like stage stairs etc.

Comment

Treated lumber and 5/4 decking.
            Easy to remove if next buyer wants a garage

Comment

My sub usually pours the front wall as a barrier, then comes back and packs dirt to fill most the void like mentioned. Then pours the 4" slab on top, which is tied onto the wall.

-in my case this is usally industrial settinga, 60"+ docks that are 30-60' square.
              Last edited by calfroper_06; 02-07-2018, 05:20 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X