Savage axis 30 06

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Savage axis 30 06

Whats everyone's opinion on this gun? I'm looking for a cheaper rifle to hunt with so I can put my first gun in the safe. I will mostly be using this for deer and pigs with an off chance I might get o go back to Colorado elk hunting. What say you GS about it.

everything ive read about them say they are a great value priced rifle and are durable. to me to be honest i feel that any rifle now days will shoot better than i will maybe back in the day quality meant more and not saying it still dont but i just dont see nothing wrong with the cheaper rifles

Comment

Ttt

Comment

I have a couple Savage Axis rifles and I absolutely love them. They shoot great and I love the way they feel. I have one in 7mm/08 and one in .308. Planning on getting one in 22-250. Like any rifle a good set of optics are key. I have no issues with any part of the rifles.

Comment

John, there is no doubt that the axis series are great rifles but your main concern was to be able to shoot an elk at 400+ yards. If the axis series rifles are good enough for long range it will be just fine for the occasional pig and deer where we hunt.

Don't sacrifice what you really want out of a rifle for price.

Comment

Originally posted by Legacy Shooter View Post
            I have a couple Savage Axis rifles and I absolutely love them. They shoot great and I love the way they feel. I have one in 7mm/08 and one in .308. Planning on getting one in 22-250. Like any rifle a good set of optics are key. I have no issues with any part of the rifles.
            My plan is to put agood optics on it 3x9-50 Leopold or Nikon

Comment

A co-worker of mine has no clue about hunting and he ended up buying one in 270. His main objective was to keep his first rig cheap because he did not know when or where he will hunt and honestly didn't know if he would like to hunt. He topped his with Leupold bases and rings and with a 3-9x50 Nikon Buckmaster. I helped him with the sight/break in yesterday after work. His little 270 will flat stack em with Hornady 130 soft points. I was very very impressed and his gun shoots better than ALOT of upper end rifles I've seen!

Comment

I say stay away from the axis rifles. For not a lot more you can have a good dependable rifle that will last. I won't say just go with remington 700s, but look at the savage 110, 11, 10s there's a lot of other models. Plus with the other models your ability to change and confirm to your real likings are easy, and will hoe a better value if you ever decide to change calibers, or models, ect.

Comment

Anyone else got any opinions

Comment

From what I read online you can't do a trigger job safely on them. You cut the spring which is a no no. You can buy a replacement trigger for them at $100. Have you considered the tikka t3 (i think) rifles?

Comment

Dont go for the cheap end of the spectrum when you're shopping for a bolt gun. Go for a remington 700, a tikka, or a Thompson Center. Go for gold, don't settle.

Comment

You get what you pay for.

Comment

The tikka is what I have decided on and will be picking it up right after season

Comment

Good choice

Comment

Now I just have to figure out what scope to put on it

Comment

Working...
                              X