No announcement yet.

THE Official Twin Buttes Reservoir Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks Anthony. That's what I wanted to know.

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony Wilson View Post
      Yes, the SAPD will close and lock the gates when it rains (and it will rain again) to prevent the roads from being torn up.

And, yes again -- you will be able to access TBR via four-wheeler by going through the process of obtaining a key to the gates.

Does that help?
      I am wondering if the gates are locked while the rain is happening then how are the teenagers that i know getting in to the araes and mudding in there vehicles i know 2 of them were stuck out there this wkend. and also if it rains during the hunting season are u not going to be able to get in there to hunt if they are closed. i own and atv and are able to get in during wet weather without messing up roads somewhat

Comment

Originally posted by rbertman View Post
        I am wondering if the gates are locked while the rain is happening then how are the teenagers that i know getting in to the araes and mudding in there vehicles i know 2 of them were stuck out there this wkend. and also if it rains during the hunting season are u not going to be able to get in there to hunt if they are closed. i own and atv and are able to get in during wet weather without messing up roads somewhat
        Not all gates are up right now so depends on where and WHEN then went cause they werent closed yet when I went on Saturday, OR they went around the closed gates.......but kids dont do that right?

BTW them being stuck (tearing up the area) is EXACTLY WHY the gates are going to be closed.

If all else fails, God gave us these 2 things call FEET
        Last edited by SanAngeloBowman; 08-19-2011, 05:26 AM.

Comment

rbertman, If everyone were as responsible about the resources at Twin Buttes as our hunters are, we wouldn't have to be taking these actions. So, unfortunately, to keep the bad apples out after a rain, we have to close the gates to all. We do not want to do that permanently, which is why we're working on a process to allow access to law-abiding citizens once the fence and gate project is complete.

Comment

All, here is the text to a press release we issued to the media this morning to help quell some of the rumors regarding the gates at Twin Buttes and to set the record straight on some of the misinformation that's being spread:

Vehicle access to Twin Buttes Reservoir will not be restricted during this year’s hunting season, which begins Sept. 1 with dove season.

The San Angelo City Council earlier this year approved fencing and gating access points around Twin Buttes in an effort to curtail illegal behavior, including dumping and the firing of rifles and pistols, around the lake. The threat of wildfires, however, has prevented much of the welding work necessary to complete the project.

The Council also approved in concept a plan to issue gate access to citizens who complete an application and pay a fee. Details of that process are not yet finalized. At a later date, Council members are expected to consider a proposed revision of lake ordinances, which were originally drafted in 1959. Until that occurs, likely in early 2012, access to Twin Buttes will remain open.

San Angelo police officers closed the gates at Twin Buttes following rainfall on Aug. 13-14 to prevent four-wheel vehicles from damaging the dirt roads around the lake. That approach will be followed after each rainstorm at the lake and for other security issues that may arise.

For more information, call 653-5328.

Comment

Originally posted by SanAngeloBowman View Post
              Not all gates are up right now so depends on where and WHEN then went cause they werent closed yet when I went on Saturday, OR they went around the closed gates.......but kids dont do that right?

BTW them being stuck (tearing up the area) is EXACTLY WHY the gates are going to be closed.

Hey do not get me wrong folks i think it is great that they cannot get in and tear up the roads out there the 1 thing i hate out there are the 3 foot ruts in the roads i was just curious about being out there during duck season the roads are wet out there alot normally and hopefully will be the same this winter. Will really blow if u cannot get in to hunt there on wkends because of weather. Getting hard to access lake by boat

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony Wilson View Post
                rbertman, If everyone were as responsible about the resources at Twin Buttes as our hunters are, we wouldn't have to be taking these actions. So, unfortunately, to keep the bad apples out after a rain, we have to close the gates to all. We do not want to do that permanently, which is why we're working on a process to allow access to law-abiding citizens once the fence and gate project is complete.
                Thanks Anthony was just curious but hell i know people that would pay 25.00 to go out there to go mudding or four wheeling will there be a seperate area for these people or will they still access same areas to do as they will tear up roads

Comment

There maybe a few hunters in the area that really enjoy the hunt out at TBR. But some my not be as blessed with being a spring chicken like you and your two feet BOWMAN.

Comment

Originally posted by TXHORNZ View Post
                    There maybe a few hunters in the area that really enjoy the hunt out at TBR. But some my not be as blessed with being a spring chicken like you and your two feet BOWMAN.
                    Yes i so have feet that look like chickens . But i was mostly pointing at kids 4 wheeling tearing roads. Rest wS light banter boys Didnt mean to ruffle .any chicken feathers

Comment

Bowman, will you send me the current/updated regulations that are in place for this season. Not the regulations that will go into place til next season since they are behind because of the drought.

TXHORNZ@suddenlink.net
                      Last edited by TXHORNZ; 08-21-2011, 02:11 PM. Reason: email added

Comment

Bowman, will you send me the current/updated regulations that are in place for this season. Not the regulations that will go into place til next season since they are behind because of the drought.

TXHORNZ@suddenlink.net
                        I can in a couple days Clinton. Im stuck at work for next 48hrs still and they wont let us access yahoo email here. BTW this Spring chicken is 45 yrs old

Comment

Thanks

I can in a couple days Clinton. Im stuck at work for next 48hrs still and they wont let us access yahoo email here. BTW this Spring chicken is 45 yrs old
                          What station do you work at Rob?
                          45 - I am almost there. Not quite a spring chicken then are we.
                          The comment you made sounded like you were pretty much talken about everybody and not just the people abusing the lands that we love.
                          I felt that some hunters might need a reminder that we are not all blessed with the ablility that others might have. I am fortunate that I have the ability to go where I need to.
                          Thanks again.

Comment

What station do you work at Rob?
                            45 - I am almost there. Not quite a spring chicken then are we.
                            The comment you made sounded like you were pretty much talken about everybody and not just the people abusing the lands that we love.
                            I felt that some hunters might need a reminder that we are not all blessed with the ablility that others might have. I am fortunate that I have the ability to go where I need to.
                            Thanks again.
                            Station 3 and at Brady FD on my days off here.

Comment

My meaning about walking is this.......when it rains its nearly impossible to drive into most all areas of TBR anyways. Especially without getting stuck and messing up roads . They gates are going to be closed after the rains to protect our roads so we have better access to get to our hunting areas on a day to day basis. The city is putting alot of work and funds into this project to make a better place for us to enjoy. Why would anyone wants to mess it all up? If its raining people shouldnt be lazy and tear up the roads. Get out , wwalk into a new area and go tracking. Thats THE. Best time to do it! Use your hunting SKILLS and go stalk a nice deer. Thats hunting. I have never driven into deep TBR on .muddy rain days but I have had some of my best hunting experiences at TBR hunting / tracking on rain days and snow days by foot. You will get to hunt areas close to the entrances you normally dont hunt because of traffic and when you see the tracks you will be surprised at how many deer will be there.

Hint: Best time to go is within an hour after rains end. Get out the rubber boots. Go hunt. Enjoy what w have guys.

Comment

Thanks Anthony was just curious but hell i know people that would pay 25.00 to go out there to go mudding or four wheeling will there be a seperate area for these people or will they still access same areas to do as they will tear up roads

We are working on a recreation plan with the U.S. Bureau of Reclamation, which is the owner of the land, that would carve out places for four-wheelers and dirt bikes. I can't foresee, though, that either the Bureau or the City Council will designate a place for mudding, given that that would likely damage the property. The Council a year or so ago increased the penalties for that sort of activity in hopes of preventing it on the far end of Spillway Road.

Comment

Working...
                                X