Welder questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Welder questions

I have an old suzuki motorcycle tank that needs help. Has several pinhead size holes rusted through. In the past, I've been able to address those with quicksteel and a POR-15 tank liner. This tank is much worse though. I have not acid washed the inside yet so no telling how many more holes will show up.
    Questions:
    a. Is this even a candidate for welding up?

b. Anybody with skills in the Houston area that might want to help me out for a case of (insert your beverage of choice) or a slow-smoked brisket?

c. If no takers to b., is this something I would even have a prayer of fixing with my 90amp flux wire welder?

It would have to be TIG welded, and I would think it would need a patch over it...

Comment

Why TIG? Certainly not questioning your answer, just trying to learn the reasoning.

Comment

I blew a tank and nearly myself up trying to weld up a tank.filling it with water doesn't work by all means be careful

Comment

It's just a more precise, controlled process. And I don't know that someone couldn't mig weld it, but I doubt it would be ideal in any case, and I sure couldn't.

Comment

Originally posted by paintman View Post
            I blew a tank and nearly myself up trying to weld up a tank.filling it with water doesn't work by all means be careful
            Well this one is so bone dry and rusty that it does not even smell like gas. Once I acid wash it and rinse multiple times, there should not be any gas fumes left - I hope.

Comment

There are tank repair kits that come with what amounts to a fiberglass patch. I may end up trying that but I'm really in no hurry. Could be that I can find a tank on ebay one day that does not need repair but these are a little rare so I'm just exploring options. The tank currently on the bike has a liner in it and is functioning well, but its just ugly. This spare tank was free so it would be really nice to fix it up and replace the current one.

Comment

My $.02, I don't weld any tanks that had a flamable in it!

Comment

It wouldn't be too bad to fix if you braze it but you would still have to know what you are doing to keep from making the holes bigger. If you could stick a little piece of sheet against the biggest hole from the inside (you can hold it in place with a magnet), you can just wash in molten brazing rod over it and seal it right up. Buy the kind of brazing rod with the flux coating on it. I don't normally like it but for this it will really help.

Where there are other little holes you can just heat the metal up and wash in the brazing rod over it and seal them fine. It's a little tricky at first but is really easy when you get it down. You will probably just get it down about the time you fill the last hole. But hey, you will know how next time.

Comment

It shouldn't flame up or anything. You can do it with mig or tig just what ever you think is easiest.

Comment

That tank is in pretty bad shape. It is possible to weld it, but you are going to need an above average welder to do it right. TIG is really about the only option. You could get away with MIG if you are just putting a plate on top, but filling those holes would take so much time with a MIG that I doubt it would be worth it. The other issue is the rest of the tank is probably in bad shape too, you are probably going to have sediment issues in the near future on top of recurring leaks. I would really look at just finding a new tank if I were you.

Comment

Originally posted by TheGasMan View Post
                        That tank is in pretty bad shape. It is possible to weld it, but you are going to need an above average welder to do it right. TIG is really about the only option. You could get away with MIG if you are just putting a plate on top, but filling those holes would take so much time with a MIG that I doubt it would be worth it. The other issue is the rest of the tank is probably in bad shape too, you are probably going to have sediment issues in the near future on top of recurring leaks. I would really look at just finding a new tank if I were you.
                        Yeah, I actually just gave up on it after gettin "inside" with an inspection mirror and flashlight. Have a feeling that my usual acid wash would just reveal dozens of smaller holes.

Comment

EDIT: Just read your above post....

Comment

Working...
                          X