Homemade suppressor??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Homemade suppressor??

Was talking to a guy the other day that has quit a few that he made. He got them all legal and stamped. He said it only cost him around $300 to make some of his better ones. Have any of you tried or did this? Seems like a great way to only spend $500 and have everything you need. What are the laws behind it? Or was he pulling my leg and it was all just crap?

look up solvent traps or mag light suppresor. yes they can be made however I would rather just buy a commercially available one

Comment

Originally posted by Statton48 View Post
      Was talking to a guy the other day that has quit a few that he made. He got them all legal and stamped. He said it only cost him around $300 to make some of his better ones. Have any of you tried or did this? Seems like a great way to only spend $500 and have everything you need. What are the laws behind it? Or was he pulling my leg and it was all just crap?

I’ve heard of people using oil filters so long as the barrel is threaded. It’s not legal and I do not recommend it but I’ve been told by unnamed sources that it works very well hence why it is not legal nor do I advise it especially after I lost all of my rifles in a boating accident in the gulf.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

You need to submit a Form 1 instead of a Form 4 like you do when you purchase a suppressor. Once you get your stamp back you can build it. I have not done it myself though.

Comment

I may have seen one built from pvc pipe that works great.

Comment

so you buy it do the paper work and now its legal . With that said I have commercial cans as well . I can tell you that the one I use on the 6.5 250 dollar version vs a yankee hill and a gemtech I cannot tell the difference .

now its not a full auto rated item but how may need a full auto, as well a few companys are offering titanium traps as well for the guys that want ultra light weight over aluminum some has QD others are thread on .

The one I bought is 100% CNC machined aircraft quality aluminum fits machined to very exact tolerances.

Now you can get them in colors as well This one I have is not a mag light Deal you need a large area to handle the high pressure gas on a 6.5 etc if you want to truly reduce the noise level .

I can shoot it without hearing protection on , I have never used it with sub sonic ammo yet as well that was not the main game plan .

wit that said I can see where I may load up some sub for it Hornady has release some ammo for it as well for pigs it would be a nice set up .

Once you start shooting sup[pressed its very hard to go back .. GF was shooting here new 243 and all I can think about is threading that barrel for a can .
            Last edited by HDWRENCH; 10-15-2018, 07:44 AM.

Comment

SD Tactical sells kits that you build and submit a form 1. I built one of all titanium for 30 cal with a QD muzzle device and sent it back for “repair” and they installed a monocore. Ended up being more like $400 not including stamp. Quality is very good and for an all titanium can it’s a good value.

Comment

Biggest concern i have with Home made is that for the most part, you will have no data on pressure. Yeah flashlight tubes have been used, and they worked, but I just dont trust it for me. Maybe for a 22 but that would be about it. If you are talking about actually machining it yourself, then I would say go for it. At least in that case you would know for sure exactly what you are putting into it.

Comment

Originally posted by HighwayHunter View Post
                  I’ve heard of people using oil filters so long as the barrel is threaded. It’s not legal and I do not recommend it but I’ve been told by unnamed sources that it works very well hence why it is not legal nor do I advise it especially after I lost all of my rifles in a boating accident in the gulf.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  It appears we know the same source

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Have made several on form 1's and still have a few approved stamps that I havent started on. Machined different alloys in aluminum, titanium and stainless for tubes and baffles, endcaps. They can have threaded endcaps or welded up depending on the use.
                    Materials are about $15 for aluminum, $100 for stainless and $200 for titanium. I don't figure machining time for personal use. Have them laser engraved by a local guy.

Comment

I've done it. My .22 can is as quiet as any on the market but it quite a bit bigger. My 30 cal cans work great but I have never shot a commercial can so I can't compare it. I did it because at the time you could e-file them with a trust and it was WAAAAYYYY faster. I think of the 3 the longest wait was 45 days. That is right, barely over a month. I did my SBR the same way and it took 90 days. I would trust mine on my 300 RUM if it were threaded. They are stout, but heavy also. Tubes are SS, 2 SS baffles then titanium baffles after that.

.300blk subs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdkf_C8b4wk

Not imbedding for some reason.
                      Last edited by adam_p; 10-15-2018, 04:46 PM.

Comment

I'm willing to bet best groups at 100yds with anyone using an oilcan 'can'...can't wait to see the brilliant mounting system to clear that eyesore on the end of the muzzle.

To me it would be a fun project if I was a machinist.

Comment

Look on the Silencer Talk forum for info on building your own suppressor. Step 1 in to file a form 1 and get the stamp.

Comment

To really get the sound suppressed you need to use sub-sonic ammunition in tandem with the suppressor. If you don't you will still have the crack from the projectile as it breaks the sound barrier. Think of it as a mini sonic boom because that's what it is. However, subsonic ammo has a draw back. There is less velocity. A 5.56mm(.223) subsonic has about a 10th of the velocity as a standard 55 grain round.

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
                              I may have seen one built from pvc pipe that works great.
                              I may have seen one of these that went horrible wrong.

Comment

Working...
                              X