Sharpening two-blade bh...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sharpening two-blade bh...

Need some ideas on how to sharpen some two blade heads. I have a lansky sharpening kit, but I can't get the angle where I need it. Any ideas on using a wet stone and a guide to keep the angle consistent?

I have a couple of files that I keep with me all the time. Nothing special, one is the triangle shaped small one, the other a larger flat file. I get a good edge, somedays I have to work a little harder than others, but it always works.

Comment

I use the cheap sharpeners you slide the blade through. Seams they have worked the best for me.

Comment

I don't mean to sound like a smart aleck, but I'd recommend learning to do it free hand. That's how I do it. The fewer things I have to carry with me the better. You can also use a Mill ******* file to get a quality edge.

I generally will get the edge started with my file then true it up with my stone and some oil. If it comes to it, I'll then use a strop: Shaving sharp.

I've never used a lansky, but I've heard they're pretty good tools. I tried a diamond honer once. Didn't like it at all.

Comment

Oh yeah, I usually "eye" the angle. If you keep your wrist locked and let your elbow do the work, the angle usually isn't a problem.

Comment

We all struggled with sharpening broadheads at one time, don't feel left out!
            After a lot of trial and error you can become very proficient with an Arkansas stone and ******* file. Here is a HOT tip, go to Academy and pick up two accusharp hand sharpeners. It is made in Marble falls and can be found at any Academy sports store. One is to grind the cutting angle and the other for final filing. I have never found a hand sharpener that will get a broadhead razor sharp until now!

The sharpening stone is reversible and when it’s worn out you can get another to replace it, I’m telling you it will be the last sharpener you will buy, it’s not a gimmick!

Kevin

Comment

Scary sharp knives are no problem with the Lansky, but ******* files and Arkansas stones were just to difficult for me (without a guide) to try and keep the angle consistent. I ended up with multi-beveled edges that just did not have the fine hone to them. Since I'm trying to do this with broadheads now, I want to get them as sharp as I possibly can.

Thanks for the feedback. The Accusharp sharpners sound like they may be worth a try.

Comment

Heard a lot of good on the Accusharps too. I still like the stones. lol Hope you get'er goin Tim. Let us know how ya do.

Comment

The accusharp is what I was talking about.

Comment

I have been using the accusharpener made under a different name for some time now. Wish I had one when I was guiding and trapping. Just run a knife through it a time or two during skinning and it really keeps it touched up. Once i get home I always touch them up with an old arkansas two stone system that I have had for years but that stupid gimmacky looking accusharpener is a Godsend at the lease

Comment

scary sharpe is one of the most important things I want my broadheads to be. DMT sharpener is what I've used for years along with ceramic sticks to finish them off.
                      I like to cut them deep and wide, long and continuos.
                      Just my 2 cents worth.
                      Last edited by Javelina; 10-18-2006, 03:21 PM.

Comment

I use a good 10" ******* file,and then finish off with crock sticks on my zwickey delta.I generally don't have a problem with the zwickey's,but the wensel woodsman have been a pain for me.

Comment

I bought an Accusharp and carry it with me. They are less than 10 bucks I think and only takes a couple of swipes to get a knife or broadhead shaving sharp.
                          Jeff Young

Comment

I don't like the lansky,never got a knife sharp with one. I use a file on my ww and then a dmt and a leather strop

Comment

Accusharpener has my vote if you need a quick fix.
                              Don't use a lot a presure with the Accusharpener...lighter works better.

I learned how and still sharpen my knives with a stone, often I will tune up a broadhead with a stone after running hitting them on the AccuSharpener.

Comment

Working...
                              X