Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 11-18-2019, 01:04 AM   #1
Turbo6
Four Point

Default Getting tired of the outdoor channel shows

So I stopped watching the televised hunting shows about two years ago and now I remember why.

I have had it on in the background to stay in the mood but cant stand the way they have to talk for sponsorship.

"So we threw on the Scentlock Mossy oak camo and headed to our favorite redneck blind for an afternoon sit. We been checking the brownings since we planted the trophy select and have seen deer all over it. Not 5 minutes looking through the nikons, we see our hit list buck and knew we were going to have an opportunity to let the CVA eat. Luckily, we trimmed some brush with the hooyman and laneshark prior to the season and were able to let the hornandy SST do it's thing. Walking up to the deer I thought OMG, this is the best buck I have shot since the 12 point I got last year with my Mathews bow and rage broadheads."

I almost want to make it a point to not buy crap they ridiculously plug

This is just another reason my favorite show is and always will be MeatEater

End Rant

Rant over
Turbo6 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-18-2019, 01:26 AM   #2
SmTx
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jim Wells

User uploaded content on youtube is leaps and bounds ahead of the TV stuff.
SmTx is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-18-2019, 02:07 AM   #3
Turbo6
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmTx View Post
agreed
Turbo6 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-18-2019, 06:35 AM   #4
Take Dead Aim
Ten Point

Nascar must really **** you off. Everything is commercialized today so there is not much way of avoiding it.
Take Dead Aim is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-18-2019, 07:03 AM   #5
Kingfisher
Six Point

Hunt In: Junction

Don't watch NASCAR anymore either.
Kingfisher is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-18-2019, 07:15 AM   #6
BeardedAg08
Four Point

Yeah I stopped watching those outdoor shows as well for that reason. I want to see real hunting anyway. I love the Hunting Public. Great guys
BeardedAg08 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-18-2019, 07:39 AM   #7
WItoTX
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wisconsin, New Mexico, Colorado, Montana

Quote:
This.

OP, what stopped me watching was when a guy has his kid shoot what was essentially a pet elk and act like it some big accomplishment. The look on the kids face very clearly said I just shot someones pet, why is everyone getting so excited?
WItoTX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-18-2019, 07:42 AM   #8
flywise
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Blanco, Nacadoches,NewMexico,Colorado

YouTube

The hunting public
Catman outdoors
DIY sportsman and many.others
flywise is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-18-2019, 07:44 AM   #9
deerplanter
Ten Point

Haven't watched them in years but people on here do it also in their write ups and videos.
deerplanter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-18-2019, 07:49 AM   #10
Rick
Ten Point

Hunt In: Junction

I just never have cared for hunting shows. I love to hunt but could care less about watching it on tv
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-18-2019, 08:43 AM   #11
FVR JR
Six Point

Hunt In: San Saba County, Colorado County

All right folks we're out here on ranch X. (5 min game ranch ad). Been chasing this monster buck. Looks like him about 100 yds. (5 minutes talking about gear) Takes the shot. (Cut to commercial). Replay shot. Center punches the guts. Wow great shot! (Skip ahead a few hours in time) Stand around deer congratulating each other. Couldn't have done it without product X. Did I miss anything?
FVR JR is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-18-2019, 08:43 AM   #12
rtjh
Six Point

I concur, haven't watched one in years and dont miss them at all. Meateater is my favorite, my boys love watching it with me.
rtjh is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-18-2019, 08:56 AM   #13
Muddy Bud
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Webb/Jim Hogg

YouTube is more better. Plus you can choose what region you want to watch. I'm a South Texas freak, or really anything Texas. Those Kansas, Ohio, Illinois and Midwest shows are so boring to me.
Muddy Bud is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-18-2019, 09:02 AM   #14
Silvey
Eight Point

Hunt In: Waelder TX, Crosby TX

Tim Wells, Relentless pursuit. Guy is a savage.
Silvey is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-18-2019, 09:06 AM   #15
MUZZYSLINGR
Eight Point

Default Getting tired of the outdoor channel shows

I watch them every now & then. I have to remind myself that any cheesy , canned hunting show is better than the view.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
MUZZYSLINGR is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-18-2019, 09:12 AM   #16
Etxbuckman
Pope & Young

I noticed this past weekend that the outdoor channel seems to be playing more movies and non-hunting and fishing related shows than actual hunting and fishing related content.

My thinking is that with the surge in content available through other media (i.e. youtube) These outdoor channels are probably headed for extinction.
Etxbuckman is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-18-2019, 09:15 AM   #17
SwampRabbit
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wherever

There are a few shows I'll watch. All of them have sponsors - so it really boils down to a few shows based on personal preference.

I like Meateater and have been watching Steve for years before he really started becoming more popular. I listen to his podcasts... but have to break it up into seasons because it has started getting redundant.

I like Primos Truth about Hunting during Turkey season... Sure they plug their gear... but pretty much just their own gear.... and it's the owner doing it... so... I give em a break.

But pretty much everything else is just rinse/repeat/rinse/repeat...
SwampRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-18-2019, 09:18 AM   #18
Jspradley
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wherever I can

Network Hunting TV is garbage, sad to say. Nothing but one big painfully obvious commercial

About the only shows worth watching are streaming now.

Meat Eater
Randy Newberg
Solo Huntr
The Hunting Public

They are all sponsored, they pretty much have to be, but the dont create an entire show around convincing you that you'll never kill a deer without a Savarugerby .375 DuperMag, Invisiflage camo, and DoePuzzy scent spray
Jspradley is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-18-2019, 09:19 AM   #19
Bigkuntryrick
Nubbin' Buck

Just Youtube!
Bigkuntryrick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-18-2019, 09:20 AM   #20
Jspradley
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wherever I can

Quote:
Originally Posted by FVR JR View Post
All right folks we're out here on ranch X. (5 min game ranch ad). Been chasing this monster buck. Looks like him about 100 yds. (5 minutes talking about gear) Takes the shot. (Cut to commercial). Replay shot. Center punches the guts. Wow great shot! (Skip ahead a few hours in time) Stand around deer congratulating each other. Couldn't have done it without product X. Did I miss anything?
Dont forget the carefully planned camera angles that never show the feeder or high fence and dont ask what that free range deer thats never seen a human or fence in its life is munching on in the middle of the dirt road or why it's got a notch cut out of its ear...
Jspradley is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-18-2019, 09:45 AM   #21
BassMaster13
Four Point

Hunt In: SETX, WTX

Network tv shows are "pay to play" meaning the networks sell the time slots instead paying for content to be on there channel and rely on just selling commercial time. They basically double dip, paid time slots and sell commercials.
From what I've heard it's between 75k-100k / hour depending on the time slot.
At that rate it is to expensive for hunting/fishing shows not to be an infomercial. You have to have some serious sponsorship dollars to pay for that time.

That being said they will have to change sooner than later or no one is going to watch their shows. Youtube, MOTV, Netflix (meateater), and Amazon Prime have to much good hunting shows with out the ad vomit.
BassMaster13 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-18-2019, 09:52 AM   #22
myway
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kent county

https://discussions.texasbowhunter.c...ight=Batteries
Remotes must be low.
I do not really remember many hunting shows 35+ years ago but I know Jimmy and Bill pushed the hell out of some fishing product. Doesn’t seem like much has changed.
myway is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-18-2019, 09:52 AM   #23
SETXbowhunter22
Four Point

Hunt In: Doss, TX & East Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvey View Post
Tim Wells, Relentless pursuit. Guy is a savage.
Tim Wells is cool, but he does the same stuff
SETXbowhunter22 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-18-2019, 09:54 AM   #24
chrigging
Eight Point

Hunt In: Edwards Co

I think the Red Arrow commercials are funny, that being said...I am a Meat Eater fan.
chrigging is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-18-2019, 09:57 AM   #25
Fmjag64
Ten Point

Hunt In: N.TX & W.TX

Seems like all the hunting channels are over the top non stop plugging pointless products and "discovering the deeper meaning of the outdoors". Lol I can't take anymore of it.
Fmjag64 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-18-2019, 10:37 AM   #26
CEO
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by FVR JR View Post
I enjoy when they claim a great shot when it clearly isn't. Cut to the recovery and the deer is so stiff they lift his head and the whole body starts coming with it.
CEO is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-18-2019, 11:58 AM   #27
muzzlebrake
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sterling County

Most hunting shows are nothing but infomercials. I quit watching them years ago. Why would I waste 25 minutes of my time to watch 5 minutes of actual hunting and 90% of it staged or faked somehow.
muzzlebrake is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-18-2019, 12:00 PM   #28
Bayouboy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: East Texas

Huntmercials
Bayouboy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-18-2019, 12:03 PM   #29
yotethumper
Ten Point

Hunt In: Colorado County

Quote:
Bingo. I no longer watch hunting shows, only user uploaded content on YT. Much better. Some of the folks on TBH have great content on YT.
yotethumper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-18-2019, 12:18 PM   #30
ghostgoblin22
Ten Point

Hunt In: Henderson/Wise County

problem is it costs these shows quite a bit of money to air there shows on the outdoor channel and sportsman channel, like a lot, so I don't hate on these shows for overloading on sponsors but that doesn't mean we have to watch them....their still is some great content on those channels, better than watching a lot of other crap on tv

for example, last time I looked at the stats it costed a tv show almost 250,000 to start a show on the outdoor channel and like 10 grand an episode, might be different now but I mean if you're paying that much in showrunning then Its only common sense to offset it with sponsors
ghostgoblin22 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-18-2019, 12:24 PM   #31
Antlers86
Associate Sponsor

Hunt In: Jack/Coleman/Henderson

I opened up my Apple IPhone and clicked on Texasbowhunter.com to read this while wearing a Wrangler shirt and jeans, Ariat boots sitting in my Ford F-150 while waiting for my food to be brought out from Whataburger.
Antlers86 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-18-2019, 12:25 PM   #32
meltingfeather
Ten Point

Hunt In: Gillespie, San Saba & Kerr primarily

when your hunting shows start to drive you nuts-- get outside!
meltingfeather is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-18-2019, 12:30 PM   #33
CEO
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostgoblin22 View Post
problem is it costs these shows quite a bit of money to air there shows on the outdoor channel and sportsman channel, like a lot, so I don't hate on these shows for overloading on sponsors but that doesn't mean we have to watch them....their still is some great content on those channels, better than watching a lot of other crap on tv

for example, last time I looked at the stats it costed a tv show almost 250,000 to start a show on the outdoor channel and like 10 grand an episode, might be different now but I mean if you're paying that much in showrunning then Its only common sense to offset it with sponsors
Randy Newberg discussed this on a show or podcast when he was asked about going to YouTube full time. Said he was paying to have a show on a tv channel, now he gets paid to have one on YouTube.
CEO is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-18-2019, 12:33 PM   #34
ghostgoblin22
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEO View Post
Randy Newberg discussed this on a show or podcast when he was asked about going to YouTube full time. Said he was paying to have a show on a tv channel, now he gets paid to have one on YouTube.
yeah if you have a good following and history like randy does it would be a no brainer....kinda set your own schedule, your own editing, own sponsors, and get paid for the ads because of the subscription's and so on...if the Outdoor and SPRTSMAN channel didn't charge so much I believe the content would be so much better because the showrunners would focus more on the actual content/editing/filming/hunting ect instead of trying to cram all the sponsors in there
Old 11-18-2019, 12:38 PM   #35
Huntingfool
Eight Point

I agree most of the shows now are pretty poor. I do like Shockey's stuff
Huntingfool is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-18-2019, 12:48 PM   #36
Big pig
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Goliad and Leon Co.

I tape a few and only watch the live hunting portions
Big pig is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-18-2019, 12:56 PM   #37
texan4ut
Ten Point

Hunt In: Where I can, Terrell County

I hadn't watched them in years. I had my surgery and was home bound a couple of weeks. Tried to watch them but like the OP said nothing but a commercial. I did record a bunch of Lone Star law shows than goodness.
texan4ut is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-18-2019, 01:01 PM   #38
Outback
Ten Point

Hunt In: Llano primarily

I ignore that stuff and watch because at least someone is outside hunting. Plus, if someone offered me free stuff and paid for my hunts, I would say what they told me to say! I wish APR would sponsor me!
Outback is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-18-2019, 01:07 PM   #39
billfromtx
Pope & Young

Agreed. I used to love hunting shows. Most have morphed into a 30 minute infomercial. I can only stomach a few and DVR then to fast forward thru their commercials. Shockey, Wells and the pig man ate about the only ones I can watch.
billfromtx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-18-2019, 01:08 PM   #40
No-Tox
Eight Point

Hunt In: Ellis County

What most don't know is that a lot of those shows are paid spots by the shows themselves. They have to plug thier sponsors throughout the shows and have you noticed the commercials within the shows are those of their sponsors. That's because they produce the whole thing and then pay a channel like Outdoors to run it on.
Unless it is something like the Duck Commander series, the channels don't buy shows, they sell spots.
No-Tox is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-18-2019, 01:14 PM   #41
ghostgoblin22
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by No-Tox View Post
What most don't know is that a lot of those shows are paid spots by the shows themselves. They have to plug thier sponsors throughout the shows and have you noticed the commercials within the shows are those of their sponsors. That's because they produce the whole thing and then pay a channel like Outdoors to run it on.
Unless it is something like the Duck Commander series, the channels don't buy shows, they sell spots.
exactly so im not going to bash the shows, its the networks having the shows behind in profit loss trying to make it up in sponsor in most of the time a 30 minuet window, that's why only certain shows last a certain amount of time because if you can't produce a quality show you're going to lose money
Old 11-18-2019, 01:23 PM   #42
coldgas
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hemphill Co

I used to like Jimmy Big Time. I only saw 1 season and it was gone.
coldgas is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-18-2019, 01:32 PM   #43
UrbanBuck
Eight Point

Hunt In: DCNF, SHNF, CROCKETT

yup trash.... Watch "The Hunting Public" on YOUTUBE. They're the best hunting show there is.
UrbanBuck is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-18-2019, 01:38 PM   #44
cj7zrcool
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Throckmorton County

The only one I go out of my way to record & watch anymore is Heartland Bowhunter
cj7zrcool is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-18-2019, 03:12 PM   #45
adam_p
Ten Point

Hunt In: Cooke, Denton, Oklahoma

Youtube is where it is at.

Born And Raised Outdoors
Bear Hunting Magazine
Clay Hayes
Elk101
Randy Newberg
Midwest Whitetail