Question for LEO or maybe lawyers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question for LEO or maybe lawyers

So I pondered the thought as I was watching an awesome police chase in Seattle from a year or so ago on YouTube dashcam. Side note: My dad was HPD and I did a few ride alongs, sirens going and engine cranking is a pretty awesome feeling. Now I result to being glued to some of these dashcam or bodycam videos. Moving on, so in a car chase, they are going on and on and the robber might clip other cars or mow over a stop sign or take out a streetlight. When the cops catch the robber and its all finalized, who pays for the bystandard cars hit and dented, street signs that got flattened etc...?

Should be the perp, but usually insurance on cars, city pays for signs, etc.

Comment

Better hope you have a policy that includes uninsured/underinsured coverage if you are one of the ones who got hit

Mostly taxpayers on all other damaged property I would guess

Comment

Originally posted by rosco11 View Post
        So I pondered the thought as I was watching an awesome police chase in Seattle from a year or so ago on YouTube dashcam. Side note: My dad was HPD and I did a few ride alongs, sirens going and engine cranking is a pretty awesome feeling. Now I result to being glued to some of these dashcam or bodycam videos. Moving on, so in a car chase, they are going on and on and the robber might clip other cars or mow over a stop sign or take out a streetlight. When the cops catch the robber and its all finalized, who pays for the bystandard cars hit and dented, street signs that got flattened etc...?
        The taxpayers. Every. Single. Time.

Comment

There was a street light laying across the road in the woodlands early this morning, I have no idea what happened to it but it was mangled. They probably cost way more than a solar garden light from home depot!

That sucks, so the city, county or TXdot has to eat it and just get it fixed because of a horrible driver or horrible person driving? The judge can't make some type of follow up ruling and pin it on the perp

Comment

There was a street light laying across the road in the woodlands early this morning, I have no idea what happened to it but it was mangled. They probably cost way more than a solar garden light from home depot!

That sucks, so the city, county or TXdot has to eat it and just get it fixed because of a horrible driver or horrible person driving? The judge can't make some type of follow up ruling and pin it on the perp
            Yep, tax payers end up eating cost of damaged public property. Citizens property that gets damaged ends up getting her paid by citizens' insurance. I know in Fort Worth, in events like you described here, citizens can reach put to the Loss Prevention Office (I think that's what it's called) and try to get some funds to recover some off the money due to stuff like this. However, I'm also told that it's no guarantee.

Comment

I've personally seen a bill for hitting a telephone pole. Not during a police chase or anything crazy but still they billed the owner of the car for damages

Comment

You can't bill the perp, if the perp had money then he wouldn't be the perp.

Comment

Yes, a judge or jury can make a ruling (assuming the city/state/county/private citizen files a lawsuit) against the responsible person.

Then the question becomes, can you squeeze blood from a turnip?

The criminal probably has nothing and very likely will be sitting in prison. He might have nothing to give but you can give him a nasty credit rating. That'll hit him where it hurts.....

It isn't that you can't prove that a person caused damages and should be responsible. There is no crime in not paying money owed from a lawsuit and there is likely nothing of value that can be seized from the criminal that will pay off the damages.

So the victim or victim's insurance ends up paying. Can't get blood from a turnip.......

Comment

The tax payers and people who purchase insurance are the ones paying for these azz*****

Comment

Another reason why insurance rates are high!!

Comment

Originally posted by 35remington View Post
                        The taxpayers. Every. Single. Time.
                        Not. Every. Time.

The very first pursuit I started ended when the crook hit a flag pole at the entrance to a neighborhood. Judge made the kid pay for the pole and he did. I know this cause a very close friend was the HOA president when it happened and they used the money to upgrade the playground.

The vehicles insurance (his grandmaws) paid to fix fences in the hood across the highway

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
                          Not. Every. Time.
                          <snip>
                          The vehicles insurance (his grandmaws) paid to fix fences in the hood across the highway
                          And then they raised the rates for the rest of us.

So. yeah. we. did. pay.

Comment

I've seen Insurance refuse to pay because it was not considered an accident, it's a criminal act

Comment

Your own insurance pays and you pay the deductible. The Leo's dont pay and the bad guys insurance doesn't pay

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X