Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heavy Arrow Penetration #3

Ranch Fairy here!
    Yeah, we know about all the glitter and fun, gender confusion, etc. Take you shots boys. Anyway, I've been working a project to test "Heavy Loads" i.e. arrows over 550 - up to 750, just for the heck of it!
    Big Mike Tanaka in Louisiana beat me to the punch on the third installment of this project, with the following goal: Whack a pretty good sized pig (he broke 7 vertebrae on this one - autopsy included), then shoot a bunch of different set ups, at the pig, a al' Ashby kind of testing on Texas Buffalo.

It's pretty interesting. Especially if you're a big pig addict. The Fairy has pretty much quit hunting deer, but the magnum boar hogs, hook nosed, mud covered and truly smart, nope. They are just a different class of animal.
    if you're a "fairy" and can't handle blood and "organs". Uh, don't hit play.

RF OUT!
    Questions or Hate Mail, please send to troy@ranchfairy.com. I'm probably hunting

I just try to put it in behind sheild angleing forward to heart/lung never had problem

Comment

Heavy Arrow Penetration #3

What I’d like to see is the pig propped up and from the same bow, a light, a medium and a heavy arrow with the identical broad head shot into the ribs and compare penetration. 3 shots each weight.

First round 45 pound recurve, second 70 pound compound.

Then you can have data on penetration.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

You'll enjoy hunting with the heavy arrows. Most guys that preach you don't need a heavy arrow haven't killed very many animals

Comment

That’s why I build arrows the way I do. I break legs. Haha.

Comment

Thanks for all the info RF. Always enjoy your insight. Sometimes I think killing a really big stinky old boar is a greater accomplishment than shooting a decent buck. Perhaps an even greater challenge is shooting a big old smart lead sow with piglets. I swear they can smell better than any other animal in the woods and they just seem to know when you are in the area.

Comment

Tagged

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Comment

Always enjoy the videos.......

Comment

Great stuff, Ranch Fairy! Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Entertaining vids. Thanks for sharing.
                    I have always went heavy when trad shooting and lighter when using the Mathews. Nothing like a Port Orford shaft and a Zwickey being launched out of a stick and string.
                    Seems so much more primitive to me.

Comment

Yea, I sort of get a kick out of seeing a 595 grain arrow with 19%+ FOC usually tipped with a 125 grain Ramcat blow thru whatever I shoot at!

Comment

Good info Troy! A lot o guys are all caught up in the speed thing, and won’t even give it a try! I’m shooting 570gr from my 50# longbow at 160-something fps, ang real good penetration on most everything!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Troy, didn't know you were on TBH. Follow you on the utube thing, but don't get on that very often. I will say, that you have me convinced to play with my arrow weight this year.

Comment

I have always been a heavy arrow and a big delta broadhead

Comment

Momentum from a heavy arrow is incredible. I will let folks keep their KE hypothesis as that was blown out of the water years ago. #650 #FOC #Ashby

Originally posted by Aggiehunter08 View Post
                              You'll enjoy hunting with the heavy arrows. Most guys that preach you don't need a heavy arrow haven't killed very many animals
                              Originally posted by Mudslinger View Post
                              Yea, I sort of get a kick out of seeing a 595 grain arrow with 19%+ FOC usually tipped with a 125 grain Ramcat blow thru whatever I shoot at!

Comment

Working...
                              X