Shower pan replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shower pan replacement

Is this a do-it-yourself thing or is it better to have a plumber do it? On ours we gotta remove about 12" of tile around the wall on the bottom then pull the pan, replace, and re-tile. Never done anything like this and don't have a feel for how much of a PITA it will be.

I wouldn't make this a do it yourself. Have a plumber set the sucker. Are you re tiling after or having someone else do it?

Comment

Safe ur self the trouble and let a professional do it. It will be well worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by Tarleton Jake View Post
        I wouldn't make this a do it yourself. Have a plumber set the sucker. Are you re tiling after or having someone else do it?
        I agree with this ^^^^^^

Comment

If you've done a tiling job before, you could proceed carefully with a little research on the correct application for a wet area. If this would be your first tiling project, it may not be a good idea to learn in a wet area.

Slab or pier & beam? I presume there has been leakage since you're replacing the pan. If pier & beam, you'll probably have some carpentry work to do first. Could be as simple as replacing some subfloor, but could require some joist work also. If slab, you're job is much easier, obviously.

Depending on your pan type, you may need to float a slope on the floor, so there could be a little mud work involved.

In short, it's really just a series of tasks that can be executed on a professional level if you take a methodical approach. But a wet-area project may not be the place to figure it out as you go if don't have at least a little experience in each of the above mentioned areas...

It's not a complex job really, but expect it to take a while longer if you're DIY. Mine always do

Comment

Ok y'all're (holy crap I think I might have just made up a new word!) probably right. Only reason I was asking is that it's $800 plus tile work to replace the pan or $1800 to just replace the entire shower surround

Comment

Forget the plumber, call a reputable tile layer they do them all the time.. There really isn't to much to it...

Comment

Have two friends that do fiberglass shower pans. Only way to go never have to replace it again. Wouldn't do anything else, tile guys prob use fiberglass also.

Comment

If you're redoing your shower most tile guys can do the mud pan. New drain and vinyl liner under hardy is better than fiberglass. We just replaced our 4x4 fiberglass pan with white tile to this and a few more we did for some friends. It's not hard to do.

Comment

Something doesn't sound right. Why are you just doing the 12" around the drain? Did the drain break? If you have a leak it can be anywhere in the shower floor area. I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure you need to remove all the floor and 12" up from the floor. Then the best thing to do would be install a fiberglass pan, leak test it for at least 24 hrs then retile.

Comment

I'm not talking about a pre made shower insert. A wet fiberglass pan on the slab or wood floor 18" up the wall, then the tile guys come in and float it out with mortar for slope and then tile on top of that.

Comment

Originally posted by one2bowhunt View Post
                        Something doesn't sound right. Why are you just doing the 12" around the drain? Did the drain break? If you have a leak it can be anywhere in the shower floor area. I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure you need to remove all the floor and 12" up from the floor. Then the best thing to do would be install a fiberglass pan, leak test it for at least 24 hrs then retile.
                        Exactly

Comment

Unless I missed something, the OP said he was replacing 12" at the bottom of the wall, not 12" around the drain. The laid in fiberglass is far superior to a vinyl shower pan. It is laid in just like a boat hull, not a prefabricated fiberglass drop in pan. Not trying to stir the pot I'm anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by one2bowhunt View Post

He's not. He's doing the entire pan plus 12" up all the way around on the walls.

Comment

Originally posted by MeanGreen1 View Post
                              Unless I missed something, the OP said he was replacing 12" at the bottom of the wall, not 12" around the drain. The laid in fiberglass is far superior to a vinyl shower pan. It is laid in just like a boat hull, not a prefabricated fiberglass drop in pan. Not trying to stir the pot I'm anyway.

Today most people I deal with on showers want a tile floor not fiberglass. As far as leaks go they are better imo.

Comment

Working...
                              X