Third party lenses for Canon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Third party lenses for Canon

I've been Sigma user in the past but am considering a Tamron AF 17-50 2.8 XR Di II VC. What brands have y'all had good luck with? Thanks.

All my lenses are Nikkor, but I know several on here have been very pleased with the Tokina 11-16 f2.8. Is your new "cough" Canon a DX or Full frame body?

Comment

It's not full frame I know that. APS-C is what it's called. I know Casey and I talked about Tokina at Bownanza but offerings seem limited in my search. The Olympus lens I'm replacing (more in another thread later) is a 12-60 f2.8-4 that has been a great lens and I want to get close to that range.

Comment

Anyone else with recommendations?

I'm watching the one I mentioned above on ebay. Lens is made in Japan, not China or Taiwan.

Comment

Michael and Mary both have that lens, bill. Nothing wrong with it. I have the Tokina 11-16 and it's a fine lens.

Comment

Thanks Casey. It gets many good reviews and the price is nice being brand new. I remember you talking about the Tokina at Bownanza. I looked but didn't seem much available from them except wide angle.

Comment

I bought the Sigma 17-50 2.8 for my Nikon D7000 based on recomendations from Legdog, Cameron and Shane. I have no negative issues with it. It is a fairly well built lens and performs as advertised. The only Tokina I have is the 11-16 2.8 and it is a nice lens as well.

Comment

Thanks, I have that Sigma on my B&H wish list. Does it have a smooth finish?

Comment

Every Tamron lens I've ever owned was better than any Sigma lens I've ever owned. I've owned 4 Sigma lenses, and sent every one of them back for one reason or another. I know there are good copies out there, but I've never lucked into one.

The worst Tamron lens I've ever owned was still pretty darn good. I also like(d) the Tokina lenses when I shot film, but their selection is pretty limited. Their 400 5.6 prime AF lens was superb for the $.

Comment

Thanks for the input John. I'm really leaning toward the Tamron.

Comment

Never used the lens Bill but know the people over on the Canon site that have it like it a lot.

Comment

Thanks George, assume you're talking about the Tamron.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill M View Post
                          Thanks George, assume you're talking about the Tamron.
                          Yes

Comment

Had a Tamron 200-500mm and was a really good lens for the money and never ad any issues. I now have a Tokina 14-26mm and think it is by far a much sharper lens.

Dave

Comment

Ordered the Tamron today, should be here next week. I currently don't have a short lens since I shipped the Olympus out to it's new home yesterday.

Comment

Working...
                              X