Rem 700 build suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rem 700 build suggestions

So I decided to pick up a magnum long action from the classifieds here. Purely for the reason I've just had the itch for a couple of years to put together a one off hunting rifle for myself. Not going to be a 1000 yard gun or anything like that. Generally our furthest shots may reach 300-400 yards at most. Wasn't a need thing, just a want.

Right now I'm in the air between doing a 264 win mag or just keep it tried and true 7mm Remmy Mag. Still deciding what twist rate would be my best bet also.

I'm currently not reloading but it's a work in progress. Mainly because I have a 280 also and want to work up some simple solid loads for that.

I'm not going to do the work myself, from everything I've read there's no since in going Custom just to leave the action untrued or cut and I want it done right. So still figuring out who to send it in to (obvious choices seem to be APR, hill country or PAC-Nor)

Also, not going the aftermarket stock route. I want to use a stock Remington Lss stock (grey/black laminate) and somewhat match the custom to the look of my 280.
    Will pillars and a bedding job be enough?

Really just looking for any advice for a first timer. All the custom rifle stuff is pretty new to me. I don't want to call up a gunsmith and sound like a complete idiot.

7mm is a good round (I have a custom built), but from what you are describing another great option would be a 6.5x284. This caliber is becoming commonly available in factory loads and is a great all purpose hunting round. If you stick with the 7mm the 1:10 twist works well for factory 140-160g pills, I have a 1:9 twist but I shoot 180g Bergers out of mine. The 6.5 I would be looking at a 1:8. APR makes some fine rifles and I would be happy to send mine to them to have work done. There are alot more informed folks on here, but this information is what I would suggest.

Comment

6.5X284 is a great caliber and if you reload soon it will be easier to produce quality ammo as well. The 6.5 caliber has a large array of projectiles to suit your needs as well. What it really comes down to is your preference. Im a 6.5 caliber fan personally, just my 0.02

Another builder that you might look at is Long Rifles Inc in South Dakota. I have had a couple rifles built by them and they are absolute hammers. Chad Dixon runs a great ship and is extremely knowledgeable. They have a super fast turn around as well.

Comment

I went with a custom 7mm STW from JW Hart and sons, What a great rifle ! there is a whole of options in the 7 mm

Comment

Magnum bolt face guys

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Joe H View Post
            Magnum bolt face guys

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
            Derp!! You sho right

300 WM gets my vote!! you can load down for deer or up for elk/bigger game.

Comment

Originally posted by kcmarullo View Post
              I went with a custom 7mm STW from JW Hart and sons, What a great rifle ! there is a whole of options in the 7 mm
              My cousin recently acquired a rifle in this chamber and holy crap what a barrel burner. I shoot WAY to much to even consider that caliber. But man those ballistics are impressive!

Comment

The 7mm STW was also suggested to me by a friend. Only reason I was thinking of a 6.5 round was because I already have a 7mm rifle. But, then again having two would make things a little more stream lined with reloading. (Using same bullet and so forth)

Comment

Look at 7mmAPR and 7mmLRM. The LRM is based on the 375 Ruger IIRC, developed by Gunwerks (Best of the West guys). They liked the 6.5-284 so much they decided to develop a scaled up magnum version of it.

The APR is based on 300WM brass, necked down to 7mm, then "improved" similar to an ackley improved case, shoulder blown out to a steeper angle and less body taper.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by txfireguy2003 View Post
                    Look at 7mmAPR and 7mmLRM. The LRM is based on the 375 Ruger IIRC, developed by Gunwerks (Best of the West guys). They liked the 6.5-284 so much they decided to develop a scaled up magnum version of it.

The APR is based on 300WM brass, necked down to 7mm, then "improved" similar to an ackley improved case, shoulder blown out to a steeper angle and less body taper.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
                    Those may be a little out of the ordinary for me being pretty new to it all but ill look them up

Comment

28 Nosler gets my vote.

Comment

6.5-257 Weatherby. Obviously a wildcat and reload only but is a good compromise between the 6.5-284 and 6.5 super magnums. Don’t know if you’d gain anything over the 264 Win Mag though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

This may be a stupid question but if researched a little and never saw an exact answer.
                          If I have a magnum long action can I swap the bolt out to a standard long action?
                          Or is there more gunsmith work involved?

Comment

You can swap the bolt out but you need to then ask about the feed rails. They may be to wide for a standard chambering.

I'd suggest a 7RM for what you're looking for in an 8 or 9 twist for heavies then load the 280 with 120-140's.

I'd also consider the good ole 264wm. You could go with a 6.5-300 WBY and be laser flat out to your 3-400 yard mark and even try the new 155 Berger which would be like the hammer of Thor from a magnum.

If you wanted to go with any of the Nosler magnums it would require you to widen the feed rails.

As stated above, the new 7APR would make a great round but is way more power then you need.

I must say if it's a "want" I'd go with the 264wm or 6.5-300 WBY and have some fun.

Comment

Originally posted by SwampBuck View Post
                              This may be a stupid question but if researched a little and never saw an exact answer.
                              If I have a magnum long action can I swap the bolt out to a standard long action?
                              Or is there more gunsmith work involved?
                              it will be cheaper in the long run to trade, swap, (or sell) the Magnum action for a non-magnum long action

magnum actions are very desirable as it should be hard to trade/sell

Comment

Working...
                              X