3D Lube Tube

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3D Lube Tube

The 3D season is under way and I ran out of Woody's Arrow Lube! I was going to buy more but thought I would do something different. I'm kind of lazy and It was a hassle to find the little container of Woody's in my quiver pouch, unscrew the cap, apply the lube to the arrow, put the cap back on, put the container back in the quiver pouch, and zip the pouch up. So, I decided to make a lube tube to eliminate the hassle.

I have to tell you that my first attempt failed. I used 3/4" PVC tubing and lined the inside with 1/2" thick felt. After sliding an arrow in the tube a few times, the felt just got pushed down to the bottom of the tube. There was no structure to the felt and nothing to keep it from getting pushed down. After thinking about it for a while (and several beers ), this is what I came up with.

Picture 1: 1" PVC tube approximately 5" long with a cap cemented on the bottom end.

Picture 2: 1/2" PVC tube approximately 6" long with 1/4" holes drilled all the way through both sides so the holes are on opposite sides of the tube. I typically get 6-8" of penetration (talking 3D archery here ) on my shot, hence the reason for the 6" tube.

Picture 3: I cut a few strips of the felt approximately 1/2"W X 3/8"H X 12" L. I started in the middle of the tube and "pinched" the felt down until I could force it into one of the holes. I pushed it in so there was at least 1/4" of the felt protruding on the inside of the tube. I cut the felt with 1/4" exposed on the outside of the tube. Then did the same to the corresponding hole on the opposite side of the tube.

Picture 4: It was important to start in the middle of the tube so I could look down the tube and see how much felt was protruding inside.

Picture 5: I repeated until all the holes had felt.

Picture 6: I put the 1/2" tube with the felt "brushes" inside the 1" PVC tube. There is an inch of the inner PVC tube that is exposed.

Picture 7: The felt brushes keep the inner tube centered inside and the outer tube holds the brushes in place. The brushes will apply the lube and removing the excess.

Picture 8: I put a 1" male adapter securely on the end (I did not cement this piece in place just in case I ever need to pull out the inner tube). The inner tube is flush with the top of the adapter. I tested the function of the tube with an arrow and after I determined it worked, I added the lube (I used about an ounce of Black Magic Tire Wet Gel). I ran an arrow through the tube about 20 times to distribute the lube. I bought two screw on caps for the top and drilled a large hole in the top of one of them. The cap will keep the lube from drying out and prevent any of the lube from spilling out. I'll change the cap (to the one that has the hole drilled) when I get to the 3D range.

Picture 9: My hip quiver has four plastic tubes that are taped together that I can slide out of the cover. I removed the last tube, taped the lube tube to the top of the last tube and trimmed the excess tube, taped it all back together and slid it back into the cover.

Now I can remove an arrow from the quiver, lube it, and load it on to my bow in seconds!
    Attached Files

Pure genious!

Comment

Originally posted by scott123456789 View Post
      Pure genious!
      Thanks. It only took about an hour to put together and I think I spent $7.

Comment

Very cool bro

Comment

I like it

Comment

I am new to the 3-d target shooting, but if you put lube on the arrow, would that not make the arrow go in farther making it harder to get out, kinda beating the purpose ease of removal the arrow??

Comment

Originally posted by ChuckB View Post
              I am new to the 3-d target shooting, but if you put lube on the arrow, would that not make the arrow go in farther making it harder to get out, kinda beating the purpose ease of removal the arrow??
              The lube eliminates or decreases the friction which causes arrows to seize (or melt) to the foam of the 3D target.

Comment

nice...

Comment

very cool

Comment

Pretty slick

Comment

Cool idea - may steal this one

Comment

Originally posted by Mossback View Post
                        Pretty slick
                        Pun intended?

Comment

That is cool!

Comment

Your the coolest!!!!! That is perfect! Good job.

Comment

Great idea.

Comment

Working...
                              X