Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buff - Waterbuffalo advice

Buff,
    Just signed up with Mick for this June and scrambling to get setup.

Will be taking my 64# @ 31" Recurve (throws a 915gr arrow @ 150 - which gives me good momentum values and not too much slower than what I'm shooting now). The arrow is a full length CX 350 (.324 deflection) w/ weight tubes and a 250 gr head.

am also working to get my hands on a mid 70's longbow (pronghorn 3piece knockoff-different bowyer). I can't reasonably shoot much above that, but get a little added performance from my longer draw.

I get good flight on the recurve setup, but need to totally redo the arrows to get more FOC. Weight is pretty good.

Question for you -
    a) do you put an internal or external footing on your DG arrows?
    b) have you used the grizzly stick elephant inserts + long weights - do these act like an internal footing?
    C) what shafts are you using in your setups? And do you have any idea on how stiff I am going to have to go if I try to use those heavy inserts and weights - end up with about 750 gr up front assuming a 200gr broadhead
    D) what broadheads do you use? I am looking at the abowyer, vpas, or ashbys

You do know that Buff is going to tell you that it can't be done without a Black Widow

Good luck on your hunt, BE CAREFUL!!!!

Comment

I know he will, I can't shoot the darn things with that high wrist grip.

Comment

A... I put a Beamon flash shaft inside of a heritage 350 shaft to get the arrow stiff enough to fly well out of my 85 pound bow. Out of my 74 I just put a weight tube in it as the 350 shaft was stiff enough. I added the aluminum footing on the elephant arrow as we were worried about the point bending if I hit a rib. If I was going after a buffalo again, I would use the elephant arrow as it was noticeably tuffet than what I used before.

B... Even with 425 grain head and a full length shaft, they were too stiff for my 85 pound bow. They are spined for 100 pound compounds

C ... I would use the heaviest bow you can manage. The carbon heritage 350 is a good arrow to start with. With that much weight up front you may need to insert a beman inside. Start with the beman full length the cut it down a half inch at a time until you get a arrow that flys without feathers. Add weight tube behind it to hold it in place.

D... I used 220 grain German kinetic dangerous game heads with a 100 grain brass insert. Total arrow weight was 980 grains.
        If I had it to do over, I would use the 300 grain Tuff Head with a 75 grain titanium adaptor.

I'm not saying you can't kill your buffalo with a 64# bow but I was using 83 and Mark was using 70. There was a notable difference in the amount of penetration. So much so that we started taking turns with my setup.
        To me the arrow is the biggest thing you can control. Spend however much time as it takes to build something that is up around 900 grains or better and flys perfectly straight. You will hit the ribs going in. No way around it. The arrow needs to be straight when it hits or it will want to glance and you will loose all your forward moment
        It is easy to get a set up in your mind, that you really want to use, that just won't work. I paid $75.00 a piece for 6 grizzly sticks. I wanted them to work and tried everything but they just could do it so I had to back up and start over.

Good luck on your hunt it is a great adventure. Getting ready is half the fun

Comment

I've got a 70# Martin Long Bow I really need to sell

Comment

Thanks for the advice. I definately have some tinkering to do. I am shopping around a bit for bows for the hunt as I am increasingly concerned about the #64. May try to get my hands on an A&H acs if I can find a set of limbs that are heavy enough.

Comment

The first waterbuff I shot, I got about zero penetration. I was using a 70 lb bow and about a 650 grain arrow. It may have hit a rib just wrong, I don't know, but it did not go in. I am talking like half a Zwickey. That was a cow too by the way.

I used Marty's heavier bow and arrow and got about a half an arrow in the next one I shot. I can't say the weight made the difference or just the luck of arrow placement, but that is what happened.

Best of luck.

Comment

Working...
              X