Peep Replacement DIY?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Peep Replacement DIY?

Is it possible to swap out peeps without a press? I was thinking I could just slide in the new peep above the existing one, cut loose the old peep and then slide the new peep into position, and tie it in?

Or should I take it to a pro shop?

Thanks Jason Slocum

Easy...
    Get your self a string separator.
    Costs about 6 bucks

Comment

Or use a large flat head screwdriver... That's what I've used in the past

Comment

Originally posted by Fubar View Post
        Or use a large flat head screwdriver... That's what I've used in the past
        For 6 bucks I wouldn't do it..
        I have seen countless strings cut by a screw driver...

Bass pro sells em btw

Comment

In the past I have came to full draw and had my wife put a screw driver in the cam and let down that takes all the tension off the string BUT that's just me not saying its safe but it worked for me. It would probably be best to go to a pro shop.

Comment

Dont stick a screw driver in it...
            Use the butt end of a sharpie to hold your place while you pull the old peep out and replace with the new...
            Ive done it like this....taught by my old service shop...its a field job but works if your in a bind..

Comment

I actually do this with my fingers. I wedge my finger in the gap and slip out the old peep and basically put one of the groves of the new peep in the gap and the roll it in. I know...I know this sounds impossible but I do this on a daily basis when I'm fitting a peep for a customer and it rotates to much in the string and inverts. I can do this to about 80% of the bows that I work on, some are just too tight and I need to press it. Not saying to try my technique. I'm with the other guys, I would just buy a 6 dollar string spliter...way better than putting a screw driver in your strings or cam...

Comment

Yepp, I've used flat heads before, slide it in and twist it sideways to separate the strings.

Comment

Originally posted by BOWtechnicianTX View Post
                  I actually do this with my fingers. I wedge my finger in the gap and slip out the old peep and basically put one of the groves of the new peep in the gap and the roll it in. I know...I know this sounds impossible but I do this on a daily basis when I'm fitting a peep for a customer and it rotates to much in the string and inverts. I can do this to about 80% of the bows that I work on, some are just too tight and I need to press it. Not saying to try my technique. I'm with the other guys, I would just buy a 6 dollar string spliter...way better than putting a screw driver in your strings or cam...
                  This is a much safer method though

Comment

Not preferred but possible. If you do this then relax the limbs as much as you can. I would personally take the bow in and have them press it. Cheers!
                    Fred

Comment

yet another reason to own a portable press imho

Comment

Got the new peep installed! I started with a screwdriver, but used a pair of needle nose pliers in the end. I just wedged them in, pulled the old peep out, and slipped the new one in.

Thanks for all the replies and ideas.

Jason Slocum

Comment

I have used a string splitter and never had a problem with it.

Comment

Bowmaster portable press. Its all i use. Does everthing i need it to for about 40 buck.

Comment

Working...
                            X