"Lessons Learned"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Lessons Learned"

Well, I started this project a couple years ago when I got this crazy idea that I would build a bow. I didn't work on it the whole time of course, but I'd work on it a little here, hit a snag, take 4 months off and so on and so forth. I built it all with hand tools, so it was very time consuming. Well finally finished it just recently. It all started when I sent Chunky a PM on a different board, and he gave me a few websites to go to and a couple pointers. (Chunky you probably don't remember this). I checked out the sites and studied up on bow building till I built up enough courage to jump in. This bow is built out of a red oak board from Home Depot. The grain runs off a little on the limbs which in turned cause a bit of twist, and a splinter started to pop up on the bottom limb, so I wrapped it with silk and sealed it with titebond II. It's 68" NTN and pulls 55lbs@28in. It's backed with brown paper bag and snake skins. I've put about 200 arrows through it and so far it's shooting fine. It's got some hand shock, but nothing too unbearable. My whole goal was to build a bow that didn't break, so I'm happy with it. Thanks to Chunky for all your help and advice. Here's some pics, so check it out and let me know what ya'll think. thanks

None to shabby!!!!
    Great looking bow with the snake-skin

Comment

I saw this bow this past weekend and these pictures don't do it justice. For the first bow you have ever made Kris, I say it is jam up!!

I bet the next one is even better!

Comment

Thanks!

Comment

Cool! Congrats on your accomplishment.

Bisch

Comment

Congrats that looks sweet!

Comment

you did a fine job...when I started making self bows, that was my goal too, making one that didnt break.

Comment

Nice bow.. love the skins! How is it that the second picture shows a left handed bow?

Comment

Nice work

Comment

You know I just noticed that Ol man. When I was resizing the pic, I also flipped it cause the picture was upside down. It's a RH bow though. Oh I forgot to say that on the front of the handle that is leather with several coats of CA glue. I was trying something that I saw a guy do with leather, and his looked like black glass. Unfortunately mine wasn't looking like that, and I started to like the way it had turned out. Kind of a rustic look. It also acts as some padding for the fingers up front. -Kris-

Comment

After I read Ol Man's post I looked at the pics again and ended up scratching my head trying to figure it out. It was definitely the same bow but one was RH and the other LH. You almost pulled one off on us (HAHA). Those computers can do weird things when they want to.

Bisch

Comment

LOL. I tried pullin the ole' switcharoo with the same bow.

Comment

Great looking job!

Comment

Great looking bow. The snake skins look awesome.

Comment

great snake skin, nice build

Comment

Working...
                              X