"Trigger finger"??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Trigger finger"??

I've read a few posts here where you guys mention getting "trigger finger" while shooting and I'm curious what that means/entails. The reason I ask I that I had a minor issue about an hour ago while shooting. I stepped outside and was about halfway through my sequence and upon release had a "pop" at the last knuckle on the middle finger of my string had. Thought nothing of it until I drew again and there is this sharp pain right in that joint. I can bend it but it's painful to do so. I stopped shooting and took some Advil and have put some tape on the joint to hold it still but it's getting more painful. I'm wondering if it's a failure on my part in form as if I'm holding too much of the draw on that finger. (using a tab) When you folks draw do you use all three fingers equally or do you place more emphasis on one or two other fingers. I intentionally left my weekend wide open to shoot as much as possible since my wife and daughter are out in West Virginia with family, I didn't have enough leave saved up to join them for two weeks.

Help with the injury and how to fix it quickly? I'd considered using mole skin in my tab to cushion my middle finger but fear it will throw my release off and I'm just now, after almost 10 months of this, getting things set in my mind for consistency.

Richard.

Trigger finger is where it gets difficult to bend a joint and it locks into place. Then when you try to straighten the finger it pops back out straight.

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk

Comment

It is possible you may have pulled or tore a tendon so I would say ice it down and give it a definite rest. If the pain continues I would consider seeing a DR.

Comment

Drt is right. I had it in the same finger, surgical pin fixed it and now I've got it in my thumb. Ruptured tendon, google it.

Comment

Might have damaged your tendon or you might be shooting to much or over bowed!

Comment

DRT hit the nail on the head. Mine started when I jumped up ten pounds in draw weight. It was pretty bad for a couple of months. Now it is the most painful when I haven't been shooting for half a day or so. My middle finger locks up if I grip anything, like a pistol, for instance. Shooting about a dozen times loosens things up and it feels great all the time that I am shooting, then stiffens up and aches after the muscles rest.

I don't think what you are describing is trigger finger.

Comment

Steroid shots in the knuckle help with the pain and healing. Well, it hurts when they do the injection but later it feels better.

Comment

Thank you for the advice folks! I'll try and let it rest a bit and see how it feels. I'm still shooting the 45lb bow so I know I'm not over bowed.

Richard.

Comment

Working...
                X