Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What you need to get started (Beginners guide Volume II)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What you need to get started (Beginners guide Volume II)

it doesn't cost a lot to get started. You can pick up a good used bow for $100.00 and remember that once you progress to the point that you what to move up in poundage, you should have no problem recooping your investment as used bows keep their value very well. Start with a low poundage bow. 40 to 45 is plenty to get you started. You will need arrows that are spined to fit your bow. Get help with the tuning. A lot of folks try Traditional equipment and give up quickly because they just can seem to get it, when the truth of the matter is they have arrows that are not the correct spine or their bows are poorly tuned. the best of us can't shoot a poorly tuned bow with any consistency. Next you will need a glove or tab. I would recommend a glove as your fingers will tend to get tender starting out with a soft tab.

Great point.

Comment

What bows are best in the $100 range?

Comment

There are bear recurves on ebay all the time at 100-200 bills. I hear they are hard to shoot, but I dont know have not shot one and have a hard time payin that much to find out.
        Ronnie

Comment

"Wing recurve" will also yield some decent search results on e-bay.

Comment

For the beginner, I highly recommend a back quiver that will hold lots of arrows. When you're shooting, hang the quiver on a limb or nail close at hand. The more arrows, the better. Erect a bale target, preferrably one at the least 2'X2'. The bigger the better. A bale with no target markings is preferred, maybe just a dot in the middle if any at all. Step off 8 - 10 paces and that's your starting point.

I also recommend starting with aluminum arrows. They'll take a beating, in my opinion, better than any of the other materials and come in a wide variety. So in line with Buff's post:

light poundage bow
            properly spined (aluminum) arrows
            bale target
            back quiver or 5 gallon bucket.
            glove/tab
            armguard
            and BOWSTRINGER

Comment

Take down recurves give you a lot of draw weight options.
              In the $100 - 200 range, check-out Quinn bows.
              I love couple I have.

Also, shooting with some one is a great way to jump start correct form and gear.

Comment

There is a Quinn Longhorn TD recurve on tradgang.com right now for $150...FYI.

Comment

Buff, I got a WonderBow 40#.Ive been told i can kill hogs deer up to about 20 yards.Whats your take?

Comment

Start up is always a little steep for anyone no matter who you are because it is an inital investment, but it will be minimal and you can get great deals on archery equipment in all parts of the year. This is agreat place to find what you need or help to get what you need!

Comment

I am new to barebows.I have a old Hoyt Pro Hunter recurve 58" and 41lbs (at my draw length).I am not new to a finger release so I am getting the hang of it.I want to upgrade to maybe 50lbs.I see alot of Bear bows on ebay,and other websites,and some Martins too.I have seen recurves from 48" to 62".I like my 58" bow.How much more forgiving would a 60" or a 62" bow be? Would it be worth it to go longer? I,sooner or later,will hunt with it.What would be the way to go (make and model) in a newer bow.I see a brand new Martin X-200 on ebay which is 60" 30 to 55lbs available $279.00.Anyone familiar with this one or any suggestions will be appreciated,thanks.

Comment

Welcome to shooting barebow, SD.

I notice very little difference (string pinch/release/forgiveness...is that a word???) between my 58" BW-SA bow and my 62" BW-SA. My draw length is around 27"...any shorter NTN and I might start feeling a bigger difference.

If you're ready to spend $300 on a tradbow, I'd suggest looking at the classifieds here, on Tradgang, and over at Stickbow (even look at E-Bay) to try and find you a good deal on a used custom rather than a "production" type of bow.

Nothing against the Martins...they probably build a good bow. But I've bought some very nice used customs (Stalker, Bob Lee & Black Widow) for the same or just a little more than you're looking at spending there.

Good luck!

Comment

Just started using a bow with a Jennings Buck master compound. Going on my first hunt this weekend and after telling a friend he brought a longbow called " The Stick" for me to try ( as a joke ). I loved it so much I bought it and am now considering taking my first hog with it!
                          Been reading posts here on TBH and really enjoy the camaraderie and how helpful everyone is. Thanks for the advise.

Comment

...a friend (he) brought a longbow called " The Stick" for me to try ( as a joke ).
                            "The Stick" is that a Bob Lee Stick?

If so, I wish I had a friend that funny.

Comment

Getting your bow to shoot it's best.

Comment

Working...
                              X