Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who/where to go for help? (Beginners Guide Volume III)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who/where to go for help? (Beginners Guide Volume III)

Reference the following link, post number 39 for background on the origination of this thread. http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...ead.php?t=5725

You have found this site so you are headed in the right direction. Sites like this; books, magazines and dvds are all great outlets to help you along in traditional archery. However, I personally believe that nothing beats one on one contact with experienced individuals.

Look up your local 3-d shoot and find someone who is shooting trad gear. Follow them around and ask questions, most are more than willing to help out.

I know that several guys on here have are more than willing to help another shooter out, all you have to do is ask. If you notice that someone on here is from your area (most list location below their avatar), shoot them a person message and see if you can set up a time to meet somewhere. Most of us generally shoot several days a week and don’t mind having an additional shooter tag along occasionally.

I am generally at Viking archery (I do realize that is a four letter word on here), in Southwest Houston a couple nights a week. If you are in the area shoot me a message and we can schedule a time to meet up.

Also keep in mind that shooting is like lifting weights. The biggest guy in the gym doesn’t necessarily have the most knowledge about lifting weights. The same goes for archery, the guy with the highest score doesn’t necessarily have the best form or know all there is to know. Talk to as many people as you can and try and gain a little from each person, you may be surprise what you learn from the least likely sources.

Excellent advice, except for picking on the biggest guys

If you are in the North Houston area, you are welcome to shoot with me.

Comment

Yeah, but I still want to be like Chunky

Comment

I read alot as I have a lot of free time as I travel for work. This is by far the best book I have read on learning to shoot traidtional equipment. I still go back and read it when I have a problem I can't sort out. And I'm with Chunky....... whats wrong with going with the biggest guy?

Comment

Here is another great book THE TRADITIONAL BOWHUNTER'S HANDBOOK by T.J. CONRADS it has history, how-to, and practical information for the traditional bowhunter.

Comment

Great advice. I am trying to learn, I have had a few problems at the local shop( the guy thinks his bow is the best in the world and if you dont have one like him you will never be good and it made him a gold medalst an all that. I have spend hours asking questions about bows and differnt types of wood keeps going back to his bow he wants to sell me for 900 bucks). I find the web is a great help. I like this site better thank archery talk But one thing I have found with all the wonders of the web, yea cant beat havin a shop where you can hold, drool, shoot and shoot again and again, and ask and ask. Tomorrow Im goin to Durnago to go to a shop over there to ask some more questions, ( kinda sucks you have to drive for an hour to get to another bow shop). Thanks for all the help guys.
            Ronnie

Comment

The Beginners Guide Volume threads are a great idea guys.

This forum and other traditional sites have been invaluable for getting me started with recurves.

Comment

Well I came on this thread to post about The Traditional Bowhunter's Handbook by T.J. Conrads but mitch beat me to it. The book really helped me in aspects such as tuning, shooting, terminology, etc. You are right in that one on one shooting with someone knowledgeable is the best. Second to that, I think this book and the Traditional Bowhunting magazine (T.J. Conrads) are great resources. Unlike Buff, I am finding less time to read these days so I try to prioritize what I read. As far as magazines, I have let just about all of them lapse except Trad Bowhunter.

Comment

Agree with the rest Traditional Bowhunter's Hanbook is awesome but there is tons of valuable info in the experiences of all the archers on this site, being new to this site as well I am pouring over all the info and soaking it in! Thank you all who take the time to help those who ask.

Comment

Could ya'll do a beginner's guide to aiming (instinctive, gap, SWAG )

Comment

great post.

great post. Thank you. here is some of my thought. batbcl11

Comment

Good Post

Comment

I am in the Keller area. Anybody know of a shop that deals in traditional equip. nearby?

Comment

All great post's above,
                            but i noticed that nobody has mentioned some of the older books. by TOMSON. POPE. HILL. PEARSON. BEAR, ST'CHARLES. AND alot of others. thay are still some of the greatest archer's of our time.'
                            me personaly, I RECOMEND THEM TO EVERYONE...

Comment

Originally posted by Buff View Post
                              I read alot as I have a lot of free time as I travel for work. This is by far the best book I have read on learning to shoot traidtional equipment. I still go back and read it when I have a problem I can't sort out. And I'm with Chunky....... whats wrong with going with the biggest guy?

http://www.amazon.com/Become-Arrow-T...e=UTF8&s=books
                              Ditto on this.

Comment

Working...
                              X