This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Deb View Post
    Hey, Dusty. If you look at the 2008 TBot newsletters you will see that Martha was just a few points ahead or behind me. Check 2009, too. I know she can shoot just as well as I can. And I REALLY MISS HER BEING HERE!!!
    Yes Deb, that was true in'08. We practiced at the range nearly every weekend that year and both shot much better than we do now.

I have chalked up this year's showing to a lack of practice, but we learned recently that Martha has cataracts in her left (dominant) eye. She'll be having surgery to remove them shortly after the first of the year (the cataracts not the eyes).

The progressing cataracts probably had an effect on her shooting ability also (her eye sight has been getting worse after all). I myself don't have an excuse.

Comment

As a first thought, Gtsticker, I would say yes on gapping with one eye closed. I have a friend that is a retired game warden that is right handed but left eyed. I showed him how to gap shoot and he loves it. He shoots way better than he ever has before and says he will never change.

On another note though, if you target shoot, it will be no problem at all. In hunting I can see where it wouldn't be as good. If all you do is sit in a stand and shoot deer with their head down in the corn, then it shouldn't be a problem. If you walk and hunt as in hunting the western states or walk hunting hogs or if you take a walking or trotting shot I would think having both eyes open would be paramount to success. You need the other eye for depth of field as well as gauging things that matter around the animal such as other animal action at the time you are about to shoot. With one eye closed it might be hard to do. That said, it hasn't bothered my friend Gary at all to shoot one eye closed and he says he wouldn't shoot any other way.

So it will work but might need to be practiced with to determine if it will work for you. Try it and see and good luck with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Draco View Post
        He is a great guy though.
        Man Have I got you fooled!!! Heck I even tricked you into buying lunch and you were happy about it.

There is no way Im out shooting you, matter a fact I need to come by and get a tune up. I seem to have picked up a habit or two but dont know quite what im doing wrong. What would be great of you would be to have a small get together some where to help others lean your tricks as well. ( see, there I go again. Im tricking you into a shooting party now )

Comment

We can have a shootin' party here.

Comment

Sounds good to me! Perhaps we can figure out a way to get Bob out of Gtown to go shoot.

Comment

Thanks Draco for the great write up and explanation. Hopefully, we will get a chance to try it this weekend. This is something I should have tried when I first made the switch. I used to be really good at judging distances. I haven't even thought about distances in a few years.

Comment

Originally posted by one2bowhunt View Post
                Sounds good to me! Perhaps we can figure out a way to get Bob out of Gtown to go shoot.
                If you are talking about Draco I have it figured out.

Comment

Originally posted by Draco View Post
                  As a first thought, Gtsticker, I would say yes on gapping with one eye closed. I have a friend that is a retired game warden that is right handed but left eyed. I showed him how to gap shoot and he loves it. He shoots way better than he ever has before and says he will never change.

On another note though, if you target shoot, it will be no problem at all. In hunting I can see where it wouldn't be as good. If all you do is sit in a stand and shoot deer with their head down in the corn, then it shouldn't be a problem. If you walk and hunt as in hunting the western states or walk hunting hogs or if you take a walking or trotting shot I would think having both eyes open would be paramount to success. You need the other eye for depth of field as well as gauging things that matter around the animal such as other animal action at the time you are about to shoot. With one eye closed it might be hard to do. That said, it hasn't bothered my friend Gary at all to shoot one eye closed and he says he wouldn't shoot any other way.

So it will work but might need to be practiced with to determine if it will work for you. Try it and see and good luck with it.
                  Thanks for the info I have an older bow at my dads I am going to try it over the holidays. When I shot instictive I would have to "aim" a foot low and a foot to 18 to the right to hit anything because of my eyes. Never knew why just knew that is where I needed to shoot. Can not wait to try this.

Comment

Thanks for the lesson

Comment

gtsticker, if you ever want to come out and shoot here, you are more than welcome to come. I have lots of bows and lots of arrows you can try and we will see if the gap works for you. If it doesn't I have several friends around who shoot instinctive that can help you as well. Just PM me and let me know.

Comment

I just spent an hour trying this out.........grrrrrrrrr.

At long yardage it seems to work pretty well for me. 25 and in I think I am concentrating to much on "aiming".

It did get me out in the yard with a stick and string again, and for that thanks a bunch!

Comment

I gave this a shot today and with time working on an anchor point I'm comfortable with I can see this being a good way to shoot for me. But why does the bow sound so much louder when shooting 3 under than split finger? I adjusted my knock point up all the way to 1" and worked my way down with no effect on the noise. Is there something else Im missing? Maybe my release?

Matt

Comment

There is nothing you can do about it, 3 under is just louder. I could be wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Deb View Post
                              There is nothing you can do about it, 3 under is just louder. I could be wrong.
                              Deb is not wrong. 3-under release is noticably louder than split fingered release.

Bisch

Comment

That sucks. I guess I'll need to weigh the benefits out versus the increase of noise. Shooting split finger and instictive has been working ok for me, but I tend to have a wild flier now and again. Usually high or low. This system would eliminate that. What to do, what to do. Thanks for the replies.

Matt

Comment

Working...
                                X