"Traditional State Of Mind"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Traditional State Of Mind"

Now days we read, and hear a lot of questions, and statements concerning our weapons, and other tools of choice in archery, and bow hunting. Questions about our hunting styles, and practices. Questions about whether we qualify, or not to call ourselves "Traditional". It is mind boggling that many of these questions would even be of concern to us as archers/bow hunters, yet we seem bombarded with them on a daily basis, and some of the answers given borderline on complete (for lack of a better description) insanity.

I've thought about this for a while now, and decided I would set down, take as many of those questions as I could remember, and answer them in complete honesty as they apply to me.

As always in discussions of this type there will be those who agree, those who disagree, and those who will get totally bent out of shape over my views. My intentions are not to point fingers, or step on toes. These are simply a portrayal of my views, my thinking, my "Traditional State Of Mind", so if you get upset with me you need to know going in, that I won't lose any sleep over it.

What is "Traditional Archery"?

I used to think I didn't like the word "Traditional" as it applies to my sport of archery, and my joy in bow hunting, but lately I have come to grips with it, and find myself at peace with the description.

When shooting with any variation of a finger hold on the string, traditional archery encompasses many types of bows - Longbows, Recurve Bows, the Hybrid mix of the two afore mentioned, Flat Bows, Primitive Self Bows, Horse Bows, etc, etc, etc. There are many makes, models, and variations of each, but they all have three things in common.

(A) - They are all simply a bow with a string on them with no added mechanics to aid in drawing, and holding draw. I'll refer to them as "The Stick and String" from this point on.

(B) - They all have basic characteristics, and requirements of arrow selection, and tuning to achieve good arrow flight.

(C) - They all require considerable dedication to learning how to shoot them accurately, and proficiently.

Over many years I've owned, and have extensively shot all of the above mentioned except the horse bow, and can tell you from my experience, that with exception to performance variations they all shoot pretty much the same, with the only real differences coming in the tuning specifications, but then in retrospect you can have two bows of identical proportions in appearance, draw weights, and lengths, etc, etc, and they may (very likely will) have some differences in how they tune for optimal performance, especially when passed from one shooters hand to another. The bottom line is, you need a good working knowledge of how the bow works, and know how to recognize it's quirks to be able to set it up, and shoot it with any proficiency, and that includes those who choose to shoot them with sights, stabilizers, and elevated rests. Anyone who thinks using sights is a piece of cake needs to give it a serious try out. Without good form (dare I say great form) sights will do you no real good.

Although I love all forms of "The Stick and String" my preference is the recurve, non sighted, and shot from the shelf where applicable.

Foot note about arrows: It makes no difference what material they are, what type of fletching you use, or how pretty they are. Arrows is arrows is arrows, and all that matters is that you know how to build them to function their best.

So here goes - Who do I consider "Traditional Archers"?

Answer:

Regardless of your level of ability, and given my above interpretations of views - If you are one who dedicates him/herself to the learning of how to shoot "The Stick and String" in any one, or all of it's many variations, and you have the ability to keep an open mind to the reality that the learning never stops, and one style does not fit, or compliment all, then, and only then are you considered by me to be a "Traditional Archer".

Kindest Regards

Rick Barbee

Amen brother Rick

Comment

Amen

Comment

Good write up.

Comment

I like that Rick! I have been shooting for quite a while now, put a lot of effort into being as proficient as I can, and am still learning as I go. I hope I can do this my entire lifetime.

Bisch

Comment

!!!!

Comment

Rick,

As always you come forward and voice not only your opinion but, the opinions that so many of us share but, are unable to put to pen!

I have been a longbow shooter - not a traditional, stick and string or anything other than this for well over 30 years. I shoot my preferred weapon (of choice - my personal choice no others) and use the best arrow materials I can find for me!!! My broadheads are my choice as well as not choosing to use camo, as my normal hunting attire!

I feel that you and so many others are now experiencing the same feelings for our sport as I am at the present.

I love shooting a longbow and watching my arrows sometimes hitting my mark and when I miss I still feel good cause I am in full charge of what happens..no one or nothing else controls the outcome.

The traditional archer is also one who strives to base action and word on values that they themselves deem worthy of their talents and chosen weaponry!

Comment

Originally posted by Ol Man View Post
                The traditional archer is also one who strives to base action and word on values that they themselves deem worthy of their talents and chosen weaponry!
                Thanks folks.

Doug, I was going to say something similar to what you said here, but I didn't want to lay it on to thick all at once. You are dead on in how I feel about it. Thank you so much for your input Brother.

I strive to shoot straight, with both my arrows, and my life.
                The two are intertwined, and I notice when I struggle with one, I am so often struggling with the other.

When I apply what little discipline I have learned in my Traditional Archery to the toils of my everyday life, I find I am better at both, and a much happier, and content person.

Rick

Comment

good read, I would love to hear a little bit more about the differences between recurve and longbow. I have only shot a recurve but am considering trying out a longbow.

Comment

I used to hate the title (Traditional Bowhunter)
                    So many of the folks I knew that wrapped themselves in that name were embarrassing. They would stand around the range before a 3-D shoot beating their chest and making fun of the compound guys. Then go out and shoot a 160 score. I have never been into the history part of the whole deal. I just love shooting critters with my recurve or longbow. I have never cried after killing a deer or burned grass in its mouth. I'm not fascinated by Indians. 80% of the ones I know shoot their deer out of a truck window at night. I don't feel like hunting with Trad gear makes me special, it is just what trips my trigger. Most everyone I hunt with is shooting a compound or a rifle and their deer seem to be just as tasty as mine.

Comment

Originally posted by Buff View Post
                      I used to hate the title (Traditional Bowhunter)
                      So many of the folks I knew that wrapped themselves in that name were embarrassing. They would stand around the range before a 3-D shoot beating their chest and making fun of the compound guys. Then go out and shoot a 160 score. I have never been into the history part of the whole deal. I just love shooting critters with my recurve or longbow. I have never cried after killing a deer or burned grass in its mouth. I'm not fascinated by Indians. 80% of the ones I know shoot their deer out of a truck window at night. I don't feel like hunting with Trad gear makes me special, it is just what trips my trigger. Most everyone I hunt with is shooting a compound or a rifle and their deer seem to be just as tasty as mine.
                      DITTO!

Enough with the labeling.

GILBERT

Comment

I shoot my recurves 80% of the time, yes I still have a wheelie bow. But shooting my compound is like shooting a rifle to me it's a mechanical procedure and just never has felt "natural" to me. I love shooting my stick bows instinctively and watching the arrow hit exactly what I'm focusing on, its awesome. So I guess what I'm saying is that I don't consider myself a Traditional Bowhunter, I'm just a bow hunter plain and simple.

Comment

Marty, I agree with you. I believe in hunting, and promoting interest in hunting regardless of the choice of tools we use, but in this instance we aren't talking about hunting in general. We are talking archery, and bowhunting specifically.

I've never thought myself as better, nor worse for my choice of bowhunting equipment, and like I said in the original post - at first, and for a long time, I didn't like the title/label.

Like it or not we have been labeled with the Trad title, and it is here to stay.

Labels on such a large scale as this are something once handed down, that the recipients can do any one of four things with:

1 - you can deny, and complain about it, thus making it look bad to others regardless of whether it is or not, which leads to disrespect, and disinterest.

2 - You can stick your chest out, beat on it, and spew a lot of hot air claiming you're the best because of it, which again only makes it look bad to others regardless of whether it is or not, which also leads to disrespect, and disinterest.

3 - you can hide from, and ignore it, but the end result will usually wind up as #1 & #2

or

4 - You can stand up, wear the title with pride, and try your dangdest to set an example of the title that is becoming of you, and your genre, which will lead to it being respected, and interesting to others as long as you show the others that same respect, and interest.

Which would you prefer?

Comment

I. Spend a good deal of time promting bowhunting
                            if the trad part gets some exposure out of it as well that's just a bonus
                            stand around and bash a compound guy, and I will walk away
                            the only heartburn I had with the xbows is that I think it will make it alot less likely that teenagers will take up bowhunting

Comment

Originally posted by Buff View Post
                              I. Spend a good deal of time promting bowhunting
                              if the trad part gets some exposure out of it as well that's just a bonus
                              stand around and bash a compound guy, and I will walk away
                              the only heartburn I had with the xbows is that I think it will make it alot less likely that teenagers will take up bowhunting
                              Right there with ya - Again.

Well except the Xbow thing, and while agree with the statement you made about it, I feel it runs much deeper than just that. Water under the bridge though, and I doubt any discussion about it will change, or reverse the outcome.

Comment

Working...
                              X