1 eye jack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1 eye jack

Well, tonight I tried shooting with 1 eye open. After about 10 shots in I started doing pretty good. Maybe even better than I had been for the past three years.
    Anyone else shoot with one eye?

Not me. I remember when I tried it, tho, pretty funny stuff.

Comment

I thought I would miss the entire target the first shot but I actually hit it. After shoot several more I realised I could actually aim the arrow. I guess it is this gap shooting thing people have been talking about. I'll try it again tomorrow to see if it was a fluke or something I need to work on more. I want to shoot good tight groups like you guy's that have been shooting awhile

Comment

You could be right. I don't understand the gap thing. There was a thread on here once that gave great instructions about it. I think it was posted by Texnrog. (I don't think I have his name quite right). I remember showing it to a friend of mine. Good luck! Your remark about wanting to shoot tight groups made me remember when Arvin and I first started shooting. We went around holding up thumb and fore finger about 5"apart and asking everybody "How many years is this much?"
        Last edited by Deb; 08-13-2010, 08:05 PM.

Comment

Well, I'll give it another try to see if it gets better. If not I'm going back to both eye's open

Comment

I think I'll try it again, too. I am right handed but left eye dominant. You may be on to something.

Comment

DON'T DO IT BUDDY. Use both eyes open . By using only one eye you are handicapping yourself in the long run . Your depth perception will suffer, and make developing your instincts harder.

Now, if you are shooting with sights, gapping, or string walking point shooting, it probably will not matter as much as it does shooting instinctively. Heck even shooting either of the 3 methods i just mentioned, it will be easier to estimate distances with both eyes open (better depth perception).

GILBERT

Comment

Originally posted by GILBERT View Post
                DON'T DO IT BUDDY. Use both eyes open . By using only one eye you are handicapping yourself in the long run . Your depth perception will suffer, and make developing your instincts harder.

Now, if you are shooting with sights, gapping, or string walking point shooting, it probably will not matter as much as it does shooting instinctively. Heck even shooting either of the 3 methods i just mentioned, it will be easier to estimate distances with both eyes open (better depth perception).

GILBERT
                But what if It works? Wouldn't shooting great groups with one eye be better than good groups with 2 eyes? Like I said tonight was the first time I have ever tried it. I have been shooting this recurve for 3 years and still not putting great groups out there. Some good, but most just average

Comment

Well, i have always been one to say that if it is not broken do not fix it. If you are convinced that you are doing alot better, then what is there to say.

I do feel that you will do better in the long run by shooting with both eyes open. You did not say at what distance that you are doing good with one eye closed. You will probably do allright at short distance but the farther you go out, the more your depht perception will suffer.

Rule of thumbs do not always apply. Rule of thumb says that if you are left eye dominant you should shoot left handed. I know many people that are left eye dominant and shoot right handed VERY well, or right eye dominant and shoot left handed. Take Fred Bear, he was right eye dominant but shot his bow left handed, and became a legend. He once wrote that he did not understand why, because he shot a shotgun right handed.

Buddy, it boils down to whatever works for you is what is the most important.

Just food for thought.

GILBERT
                  Last edited by GILBERT; 08-13-2010, 08:41 PM.

Comment

Yes, when we first started shooting I was told I should shoot left handed. Very dangerous idea. Funny, but very unsafe for anybody within 50 yards in any direction.

Comment

Originally posted by GILBERT View Post
                      Well, i have always been one to say that if it is not broken do not fix it. If you are convinced that you are doing alot better, then what is there to say.

I do feel that you will do better in the long run by shooting with both eyes open. You did not say at what distance that you are doing good with one eye closed. You will probably do allright at short distance but the farther you go out, the more your depht perception will suffer.

Rule of thumbs do not always apply. Rule of thumb says that if you are left eye dominant you should shoot left handed. I know many people that are left eye dominant and shoot right handed VERY well, or right eye dominant and shoot left handed. Take Fred Bear, he was right eye dominant but shot his bow left handed, and became a legend. He once wrote that he did not understand why, because he shot a shotgun right handed.

Buddy, it boils down to whatever works for you is what is the most important.

Just food for thought.

GILBERT
                      No doubt, I appreciate your opinion. And only practice will tell if it is going to work out. Heck, after tomorrow I might just give up on it all together. But tonight it looked promising. Tonight I shot @ 12-15-20yds and after a little practice I was pretty good at all of them. I'll keep ya'll posted on progress or the lack there of

Comment

I don't do any type of gap shooting. Purely instinctive for me. With both eyes open, I look at a spot on the target or animal where I want the arrow to hit and then I release the arrow. The arrow hits very close to where I'm looking. BTW, I don't shoot over 20 yards.

Comment

I wouldn't want to learn gap shooting after all these years shooting instictive.

Right there with ya Night Wing.

Comment

i have no choice but to shoot with one eye.... no matter what ive shot. as a kid i was pretty good w/ a bb gun, after the accident my accuracy increased id say 4-5 fold... when i shoot i focus on 1 thing, what im shooting at. instead of my brain having to decypher the data from my other optic nerve..

Comment

Personally, I need at least one eye open just to get on target. No, really, on my recurve I have found that if I don't at least partialy close my left eye, I hit to the left about 5 inches. With my longbow I have to keep both eyes open. Yea, I know, I've always been somewhat on the strange side.lol

Comment

Working...
                              X