"plucking the string"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"plucking the string"

I've read multiple times to not "pluck" the string... What does that mean ? Seems to me that when you have 40 lbs of tension on a string that at the point of release it is going to "pluck". Help me understand.

I am terrible at plucking the string and or dropping my bow arm. I think "plucking" the string is having target panic. Instead of holding solid in your anchor and using back tension to pull through the release, you just jerk your fingers through the release with them winding up out away from your face.

Comment

Plucking refers to the fingers' action in pulling sharply outward (away from face) to release the bowstring. It's related to "torqueing" the string, where the plucking is uneven among the fingers and causes left or right misses (in my experience ). Preferable to hit anchor and subtly relax fingers to release arrow while pulling through (wiping face) as a follow-through. Bow hand should stay up and string hand should stay on face until arrow hits mark.

Comment

I read somewhere that the English longbowmen called shooting their bows "Plucking the Yew". Since most of their bows were made out of Yew. When the French would capture an English longbowman, they would cut off the middle finger of their shooting hand. Thus disabling the archer. The English would then enter battle with the French with middle finger raised, shouting "Plucking the Yew" to let the French know they were ready for battle. Over time this was Americanized to: F*** you

Comment

Sound good to me lol

Comment

Originally posted by BillDecker View Post
            I read somewhere that the English longbowmen called shooting their bows "Plucking the Yew". Since most of their bows were made out of Yew. When the French would capture an English longbowman, they would cut off the middle finger of their shooting hand. Thus disabling the archer. The English would then enter battle with the French with middle finger raised, shouting "Plucking the Yew" to let the French know they were ready for battle. Over time this was Americanized to: F*** you
            Mr Bill,
            You started my day off right

Comment

Back when I shot trad, I was one heck of a string plucker! For awhile, I got away with it more or less. Thing is, it escalated into full fledged target panic, and it wasn't long afterward that I quit competition for good (having previously won my class at State).

Truth being, this seemingly not so bad habit catches up with a whole lot of guys, and I've talked with more than one who quit archery altogether.

The pinshooter equivalent is "punching" the release. Actually it's easier to cure that than plucking, but both are doable.

Comment

When I think of plucking the string, I think of anything other than letting the string slip through your relaxed fingers upon the release.

Comment

Plucking is usually caused by having an active release rather than a passive one. Releasing the arrow should not require an action. It should require and action to stop. You do not let go of the string, you just stop holding it. They may sound the same but they are different. Back tension and stop holding the string. The string should slip from your fingers like snow falling off a leaf when it gets to heavy.

Comment

LeanMachine knows whereof he speaks.

Problem: easier said than done.

Comment

Originally posted by LeanMachine View Post
                      Plucking is usually caused by having an active release rather than a passive one. Releasing the arrow should not require an action. It should require and action to stop. You do not let go of the string, you just stop holding it. They may sound the same but they are different. Back tension and stop holding the string. The string should slip from your fingers like snow falling off a leaf when it gets to heavy.
                      This is a very good description!

Bisch

Comment

I try to touch my collar bone after the shot. Will ATP the plucking

Comment

LeanMachine is dead on. Instead of releasing the string, relax the fingers. In other words, don't straighten your fingers or open your hand, just stop holding. One you get it, you'll know it

Comment

Working...
                          X