"dillas are tough

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"dillas are tough

I decided to give night hunting a try last night under the full moon. I don't have a bow light, and never felt I needed one, so I taped a flashlight to my bow arm. I switch it on, and slowly raise my arm while drawing. I have used this technique with good luck with a compound and decided the my longbow would be easier to shoot this way.
    Got to the ranch early, corned the wallow with some old soaked corn I had and found me a spot to relax in for the wait. This area has some nice hogs in it but with the 105+ temps, we rarely see anything during the day.
    At about 11:20 I heard something rooting and grunting, but never saw anything. A few minutes later something caught my eye in the middle of the dry pond. Turned out to be the biggest armadillo I had ever seen. I could plainly see it against the dry mud, but decided to give the light a try. Hit the button, drew, hit anchor and released. I was going for a head shot with a judo at about 17yrds, but I hit 3 inches back thru the shoulder. He took of running. I chased him down for about 5 minutes and finally got a hold of my arrow. It came out and I renocked for another shot. This time I was able to hit the head. He started jumping and rolling and it took another 5 minutes for him to settle down enough for me to grad my arrow. Pulled it out again, and smacked him in the head with a log I grabbed, that finally did it. Man I felt like I had just shot the biggest hog in the area after it was all said and done. I kind of figured that the first shot would bring him down, I mean the judo broke both shoulders, and then the next shot smashed his skull. What are those things made of, WOW!!

Come to think of it, I was extremely lucky last night, running thru the brush chasing my arrow and then grabbing the branch, sure glad I didn't pickup or step on a buzztail
    Sorry no pics as I was tired as all get out by the time I made it back and the dilla was added to the bait pile.

I shot one once and the arrow was sticking out both sides...the only reason I recovered him was because the arrow kept him from getting down his escape hole. Tough is an understatement!

Comment

Hoover Hogs are one tough critter. I once had a hunting client from Arizona that wasted his 2500.00 huntind trip shooting dillos. He must have wasted 2 dozen arrows but he was one happy camper. I told him its your money you can hunt what you want.

Comment

Come on guys. 6 year old with a 17# recurve.
        Attached Files

Comment

maybe we should start booking coon under feeder hunts

and the perfect head would be a field point with a Bateman Adder

Comment

I shot a dillo broad side with a Montec SGBH and the arrow just bounced off. It scared the crazy out of him and he took off...that thing must have jumped at least a foot in the air too. My Dad laughed so hard I thought he was going to pee himself...I didn't know what to do. It was funny though.

Comment

Driving back from a fishing trip at Port O. one time seen one on the side of the road. Me and my buddy decided to see if we could catch it.well after some good hard running and one swift kick I had him bewildered and grabbed him. Since my choice of beer was lone star at the time we got a pic of me holding him upside down drinking lone star. Man those red deer need to come in I'm bored.

Comment

Shot one with a montec CS once and the arrow sticking out both ends, he dove in a hole and broke my arrow

Comment

Originally posted by duck'n View Post
                  I shot one once and the arrow was sticking out both sides...the only reason I recovered him was because the arrow kept him from getting down his escape hole. Tough is an understatement!
                  I did the same thing only i was using wood arras and he broke off both
                  ends and went into the hole with the middle section.

Comment

This whole thread has me laughing at myself. A 'dilla was my first 'official' bow kill, and I, too, shot him thru both shoulders. It was dark and he was rooting in my flower beds. Anyways, he couldn't get down his hole with my arrow sticking sideways, and I grabbed a hammer to whack him in the head. If my neighbors would have seen me going round and round with him, I don't know what they would have done. As it was, my then-husband was laughing so hard he could hardly stand. Kudos to the 6 year old with his trophy! They're some tuff critters for sure!

Comment

Working...
                    X