Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The how and why to my form (Beginners Guide Volume IV)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I dont think so

Comment

texscot, in response to your post about taking some pressure off the shoulder, I have a few things to offer: use 1. More back tension & less arm strength to hold at full draw. If you tense your backstrap muscles at full draw, it takes pressure off the arms and shoulders. 2. Reduce poundage. It's hard for us older guys to accept, but most of us would shoot better, less painfully & ultimately longer with lighter bows. It won't matter hunting-wise very much, if at all. Hope this helps.

Comment

Put this on my desktop, so i can read it over without even getting on Internet. Thank you.

Comment

What exactly does--To simplify, look at your shoulder with your bow arm pointing at the target. Is it flat or rounded or is there a small depression (cup) that could hold water? If you have a cup, your arm is locked in the socket.--mean? I'm having trouble visualizing .....

Comment

Originally posted by MMorton View Post
            What exactly does--To simplify, look at your shoulder with your bow arm pointing at the target. Is it flat or rounded or is there a small depression (cup) that could hold water? If you have a cup, your arm is locked in the socket.--mean? I'm having trouble visualizing .....
            Think about a bodybuilder when they pose/flex. They drop their shoulders into position causing a depression in their shoulder.

The opposite of this would be allowing your shoulder to crepe upwards toward your ear as your muscles fatigue.

Comment

Ok, I think I get it, thanks!

Comment

Hi,

Do you shoot around Houston? Do you give lessons? I feel like I could use a couple to help me get past a plateau ....

Thanks!

Marc

Comment

Sorry, I don’t do formal lessons. Just go to a local shoot and ask around, in general trad guys are more than happy to help each other out. If you have a video camera or a still camera for that matter, take some video or pictures of you shooting and start a thread asking for help.

Comment

great read good input

Comment

Great information, thanks!!!

Comment

I come back to this one every couple of weeks just to keep it fresh in my mind. Still a great read!

Richard.

Comment

Very good write up, I tell new shooters all the time practice with purpose. By that I mean pay attention to every detail of the shot breathing, grip, anchor, sight, release and follow through. Be it a compound or trad bow no step is to be ignored. I liken archery to golf for some to understand the concept. Watch a Pro Golfer, every shot is planned with the same routine followed visualize the shot, execute the prep/routine and follow through the process and if something is wrong back off and do it again

The OP in this post describe a lot of my shooting, though I have never competed in any tourney or competition I do have great respect for those that do. I am left eye dominate and shoot right handed. I don't really shoot past 30 yards with my Trad bows, as I keep my hunting shots inside that preferring to keep them inside 20 yards if possible.

Something I learned through trying different things to find what works for me, I don't stay at full draw but a second or two often times less. Concentrate on the target spot before and while drawing, hit my anchor point glance down at the arrow and run the eye along the shaft and when I get back to the target looking along the shaft release. that little step is to me where the subconscious takes over and by running my non dominate eye along the arrow it takes over and I do not have to shut my dominate eye to hit the target. I will say that as I have gotten older the dominate eye is not as over powering as it was when I was younger and I had to shut it to hit anything,

The Trad bows I hunt with are Bear Kodiak Magnums, short bow for someone with a 29 inch draw but I really like the feel of these bows and shoot them better than any other recurve bow I have tried, so I will stick with them, to avoid finger pinch I start drawing with one above and 2 below the arrow but release the top finger and actually release with two below with the index finger pointed basically at the target. Avoids finger pinch and is just what has worked for me.

Thanks again for a great informative post.

Comment

10 years after the original post, and I’m reading it for the first time. My husband Daniel and I are not new to shooting, but we ARE new to shooting trad with purpose, and this site has been a wealth of information. Thank you to everyone who contributes; those who have a tons of knowledge and don’t mind sharing, as well as those who were once new, like us, and post such great questions. ~Julie and Daniel

Comment

Welcome to the new addiction. You are correct. Lot's of great information and folks here to help you and enjoy the journey with you. All of the stickies are full of good information and I've referred back to them a time or two over the last couple of years. Good shooting and have fun.

Comment

According to all, I hope so.

Comment

Working...
                                X