Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

(Vanes) Probably covered already...

What do y'all think of this article?

The very mention of any fletching besides natural feathers on the arrows used by recurve and longbow archers makes many in the "traditional" community see red and spew profanity. To these purists, any synthetic material is a sacrilege and an offense to the "traditionalness" of their sport. As far as I'm concerned, that's bull. I absolutely love shooting traditional bows, but I’m more concerned with hunting performance, functionality, and value than I am about nostalgia or some abstract notion of purity. There are few elements of a traditional archery setup that are as critical as the fletching on arrows. I used to shoot turkey-feather fletchings on my recurve arrows, but since I've switched to shooting vanes, I have no reason to go back. Here are some of the positives of synthetic vanes on traditional shafts:

And to take it a step further, what about 2 in. blazers? Thats what my trad set up looks like now especially because I have a lot of arrows for my compound laying around...and I just bought 100 ct of white vanes almost a year ago. I know our own RickBarbee shoots vanes off the shelf. I was raised shooting instinctive recurve and had my dad's feather-fletched arrows to use, but I when I was in college, I used what I could afford or had laying around to get the job done (with very little knowledge of arrow design/function) when I picked up a bow again. Those was pre-TBH days. Now i know better, but like trying unconventional things.

What about "shooting vanes from longbow or recurve" takes away from tradition for y'all?

If you can get them to tune correctly, and that is what you want to shoot, then shoot them and don't worry about what anybody else says!!!!!

Bisch

Comment

what bisch said, if you can tune them correctly then by all means use them, who cares what others think....they certainly have positives compared to feathers, one being when they get wet it doesn't ruin the vanes!! I used vanes a couple years ago and it shot fine, I just prefer feathers for aesthetics

Comment

Agreed. Thank you for the encouragement. I even thought I was crazy shooting instance compound, but my avatar proves it can work! Just trying to get a feel for it. Again, It's what I have laying around. I wonder if it's a bit more traditional than we give it credit for.
        Last edited by JHarrell89; 10-22-2016, 02:01 PM. Reason: Not to sound cocky.

Comment

Good article.

I've been shooting vanes for a long time, and even shoot them from the shelf on some bows.

Blazers are good vanes, but they aren't very flexible. If you are getting total clearance at pass with them, then you'll be ok, but if they touch even slightly they are going to throw the arrow flight off. You will be much better off using a more flexible vane.

The two vanes I suggest are (1) Marco soft vanes, (2) Allen Superflex vanes.
          The two brands are pretty much identical, but the Marco brand offers a much larger color selection.

If you are going to be shooting from a good elevated rest, then it really don't matter which vane you use. The rest is going to give you all the clearance you need once you get properly tuned up.

Rick

Comment

Fred Eichler not only shoots vanes, he shoots cock vane down.
            Just don't tell G. Funk Asbell if you decide to do it.

Comment

Originally posted by Brute Killer View Post
              Fred Eichler not only shoots vanes, he shoots cock vane down.
              Just don't tell G. Funk Asbell if you decide to do it.
              That works, but cock fletch in at 90 degrees gives even better clearance. Actually I shoot cock fletch in for feathers too. It just makes for a cleaner pass every time.

Rick
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by RickBarbee View Post
                Good article.

I've been shooting vanes for a long time, and even shoot them from the shelf on some bows.

Blazers are good vanes, but they aren't very flexible. If you are getting total clearance at pass with them, then you'll be ok, but if they touch even slightly they are going to throw the arrow flight off. You will be much better off using a more flexible vane.

The two brands are pretty much identical, but the Marco brand offers a much larger color selection.

If you are going to be shooting from a good elevated rest, then it really don't matter which vane you use. The rest is going to give you all the clearance you need once you get properly tuned up.

Rick

Where can I get the Marco vanes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by boleman154 View Post
                  Where can I get the Marco vanes?

Marco vanes at Ebay

Rick

Comment

Thanks

Comment

Interesting. Any experience with these?
                      Last edited by DRT; 10-24-2016, 02:46 PM.

Comment

That works, but cock fletch in at 90 degrees gives even better clearance. Actually I shoot cock fletch in for feathers too. It just makes for a cleaner pass every time.

Rick
                        You know, now that you mention that, I think he shoots cock vane in.
                        Just going from memory.

Comment

Good article.

Rick
                          I shot Marco vanes for years with a compound long ago. They were very soft and that is when we used our old recurve rests on our compound bows.

Rick what size vanes do you shoot?

Comment

Originally posted by M.E.B. View Post
                            Rick what size vanes do you shoot?
                            I'm shooting 4", but only because I have to for competition.
                            If not for that I would be shooting 2".

Rick

Comment

Working...
                            X