Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 08-06-2015, 12:12 AM   #1
jase82
Eight Point

Hunt In: Caldwell County
Default fantasy draft help

we got our pick numbers the other day and I got the first pick. My git tells me either peterson, Charles or Lacy... But Im toying with a qb like Rodgers or Luck first.... What does the green screen say?
jase82 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-06-2015, 12:16 AM   #2
LuBowhunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Real County, Chambers County, Kansas, Wyoming, Montana, New Mexico, Nebraska

I always choose a qb like Rodgers.
LuBowhunter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-06-2015, 12:21 AM   #3
solocam_aggie
Pope & Young

Hunt In: SABINAL, Sonora, Bastrop, Carrizozo NM

I would definitely not go QB the entire first round, much less first pick! Especially in standard scoring. It would be a toss up for AP, J Charles, or L Bell for me(yes even with suspension).
solocam_aggie is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-06-2015, 12:26 AM   #4
brrdnk
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Coleman,TX & The "H" Some Years

There are only 4 or 5 Tier 1 running backs and the same goes for QB's. If you draft 1st you will not draft until 20th for the next pick. Get the best RB with the first and there still should be a decent QB at 20. There won't be as good as a selection at RB at 20 and with the 21st pick get a WR.
brrdnk is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-06-2015, 12:26 AM   #5
DKirk
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by solocam_aggie View Post
I would definitely not go QB the entire first round, much less first pick! Especially in standard scoring. It would be a toss up for AP, J Charles, or L Bell for me(yes even with suspension).
This, to many qb's that can be had in the mid rounds, to burn a first round pick.
DKirk is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-06-2015, 12:28 AM   #6
8pointer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Schleicher county

Go with a RB
8pointer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-06-2015, 12:31 AM   #7
Conquest
Six Point

a QB can make sense in the first round depending on how the scoring is setup.
check the scoring and snag whatever dude that will give you the most points and never get injured
Conquest is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-06-2015, 12:37 AM   #8
whitetailtrail
Ten Point

Hunt In: North Texas

Please take lacy. Clear cut no. 1 now that leveon bell is out
whitetailtrail is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-06-2015, 12:41 AM   #9
jmhartt
Eight Point

It's against popular belief but draft Luck or Rodgers in the first, then take a wr and rb when it comes back to you in the 2nd/3rd. I believe both of those positions are deep enough to round out your roster later in the draft this year, especially with the teams moving to more of a rb by committee approach. Out of the box thinking is what wins fantasy leagues, not following the masses. And a little luck on the waiver wire helps as well. I am in a similar situation to yours as I have the 3rd pick in a 12 team league and have been planning on drafting Luck.
jmhartt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-06-2015, 12:46 AM   #10
bboyd84
Four Point

Hunt In: Salado Tx, Dili Tx

1st pick go Rb either Bell or Lacey. AP is too much risk to me but if you like him take him. You can always get a good QB in 3rd or 4th round. Dez would be my 1st reciever to get now that cowboys don't have a solid running back. Late running backs to get would be Melvin Gordon Lamar Miller and Joseph Randle. Also look out for victor cruz, I was able to get him in the 13th round. Lots of good recievers available this year.
bboyd84 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-06-2015, 01:15 AM   #11
dc1986
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mexico

Get a kicker or defense.
dc1986 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-06-2015, 02:05 AM   #12
frazee3200
Ten Point

Hunt In: Coleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by solocam_aggie View Post
This! brady is gonna slide with his supension, prolly get him in the 5th or 6th if not the 7th. Get the best avalible rb's if ya can
frazee3200 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-06-2015, 02:15 AM   #13
Cphil87
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hardin

I like to mix it up .. Get in on a no.1 receiver that will get 10+ td .. Thomas Nelson or the like .. Then rb
Cphil87 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-06-2015, 02:19 AM   #14
NBK75
Ten Point

Hunt In: Guadalupe

PPR or standard? How many players on your FFL? These are important questions to determine what player to pick first.
NBK75 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-06-2015, 05:18 AM   #15
12RingKing
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The Grocery Store...

I really hate taking RBs early. Durability issues seem to get you at some point. That being said, I've never picked number 1. I think it forces your hand. You have to go RB.

Go with the most dependable productive back you think is out there. If it was me... I would be looking hard at AP. Should be well rested with a 2nd year qb., they'll probably run a lot. I know Charles would be a good pick as well... He lights up the score board from running and receiving, but he screwed a lot of people last year.
12RingKing is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-06-2015, 06:09 AM   #16
Daniel75
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Red River County & Atoka Co Oklahoma

Trade out of that pick. I like to be last or next to last. First is the worst pick simply because of how long you have to wait to pick again. In theory, I'd rather have the 10th and 11th best player than the 1st and 20th/21st. I have landed 1 or 2 several times and have always been able to trade down. Just my opinion.
Daniel75 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-06-2015, 06:30 AM   #17
lovemylegacy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: SETx,La,Il,Ks,Mo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jase82 View Post
we got our pick numbers the other day and I got the first pick. My git tells me either peterson, Charles or Lacy... But Im toying with a qb like Rodgers or Luck first.... What does the green screen say?
rb rb wr wr qb the qbs available will be close to Rogers. If you wait till 2nd round to get your running back, thats either 19 or 23 picks before you get to pick all the good rbs will be gone by the end of the 1st round.

Last edited by lovemylegacy; 08-06-2015 at 06:33 AM.
lovemylegacy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-06-2015, 07:36 AM   #18
Cowpolks-TR
Six Point

Hunt In: Where ever I get the chance

Go with a RB. At the end of the season the point spread between the QB with the highest points and the next several QBs will be very little. However, there will be a big point spread on the RB side of things.
Cowpolks-TR is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-06-2015, 09:22 AM   #19
Tex21
Ten Point

Hunt In: Angelina, Val Verde Counties

Peterson or Charles... Vikings said he would be a work horse this year also. There is at least 10 QBS that can put up a lot of points every week in fantasy.
Tex21 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-06-2015, 09:23 AM   #20
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Votaw, Hardin/Polk Co., TX. Bon Weir, Newton Co., El Dorado, Schleicher Co., TX.

Rodgers!
AntlerCollector is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-06-2015, 09:30 AM   #21
jer_james
Pope & Young

Id probably go Lacy simply due to durability. I think Charles has the potential to have a better season, but also get injured. Unless you are in a 2 QB league, there will be a very good QB there in round 2 or even later depending on whether you are a 10 or 12 team league.
jer_james is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-06-2015, 09:31 AM   #22
knighttime
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas

Gotta go RB here and mine choices would be between Peterson and Lacy. Peterson is going to put up huge numbers if he stays healthy IMO. Decent QBs will slide back. Brady will slide due to the deflate gate and you may hit a home run if he wins in court
knighttime is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-06-2015, 10:04 AM   #23
ArmyAg97
Six Point

Hunt In: Callahan Co

It all depends on your scoring, how many start at each position etc. Without that it's impossible to say.

I always use value based drafting - google it, it's the best strategy in my opinion.
ArmyAg97 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-06-2015, 10:32 AM   #24
Red Arrow
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by brrdnk View Post
There are only 4 or 5 Tier 1 running backs and the same goes for QB's. If you draft 1st you will not draft until 20th for the next pick. Get the best RB with the first and there still should be a decent QB at 20. There won't be as good as a selection at RB at 20 and with the 21st pick get a WR.
I agree with this even an average QB will still give you sufficient points a good RB that will put up consistent numbers every week..... Only a few of those.
Red Arrow is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-06-2015, 10:33 AM   #25
JHT
Pope & Young

It's just a bet.

Go with your gut.

Our league's scoring system favors QB's over RB's. So we generally draft QB's in the first round. If you take a QB try to get his goto receiver in the second round. A good QB & WR combo can put up points quick.

I would have a hard time taking Peterson first. Not because of his talent. More due to the fact he had last year off and pretty much demanded the team trade him. He and Jurra got busted talking about how he wanted to play in Dallas. He doesn't want to be there regardless of what he's saying now.

But...

Tedy will be starting his second year @ QB. He didn't have a stud RB like AP to help carry the load last year. AP will get tons of carries and could go for 2500 like he says is his goal.

It's just a bet.

Go with your gut.

JHT is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-06-2015, 10:35 AM   #26
gumbl3
Ten Point

Hunt In: muenster

If it's ppr there's no better choice than a Charles, Bell, etc that's a big time yardage/TD/goaline back that gets 6-7 catches a game.. Heck even Matt Forte will get you double digits in a ppr league with a bad game
gumbl3 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-06-2015, 11:03 AM   #27
BuckRage
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKirk View Post
This, to many qb's that can be had in the mid rounds, to burn a first round pick.
yep. RB is my first pick
BuckRage is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-06-2015, 11:07 AM   #28
ghostgoblin22
Ten Point

Hunt In: east texas

in my experience the first two picks in the draft i either get two really good WR's or two really good RB's......it always works for me for some reason, ive won 4 times out of the past 6 seasons in the one 14 man league im in
ghostgoblin22 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-06-2015, 11:12 AM   #29
jlinville
Ten Point

Hunt In: Cherokee Co.

Since running back by committee has become the norm in the NFL, I'd go with one of the running backs that take the majority of the snaps on a team that doesn't really do the committee deal. Last year I was #12 so I got picks 12 and 13. I took Marshawn Lynch with 12 and DeMarco Murray with #13. Needless to say, I was the champion of my league. It didn't hurt that I managed to get Andrew Luck on my next pick.
jlinville is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-06-2015, 11:15 AM   #30
knighttime
Ten Point

Side question. Have any of ya'll purchased the 522 player evaluation guide ESPN puts out every year for the fantasy players?
Old 08-06-2015, 11:23 AM   #31
AdamTex
Eight Point

I'm in the same boat as you, have the 1st pick in my league. I am 80% certain I am taking AP, if Bell wasn't suspended he's the no brainer pick, but the games are too competitive to not have your first pick for 2 games.

Lacy is a safe pick, but at the end of the day he is really on more of a pass first team with all those great receivers.

To me it's between AP and Charles, AP is 30, but he's been the exception to the rule his entire career. With Charles slight/moderate injury risk I am leaning AP.

I wouldn't even think about QB with the first pick in standard scoring leagues.

Do some mock drafts and try out several different players/positions and see how your roster looks to help your decision.

Last edited by AdamTex; 08-06-2015 at 11:25 AM. Reason: .
AdamTex is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-06-2015, 11:26 AM   #32
jer_james
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by knighttime View Post
Side question. Have any of ya'll purchased the 522 player evaluation guide ESPN puts out every year for the fantasy players?
Theres too many free rankings / guides that you can consolidate and look at to warrant purchasing anything in my opinion.

I take 3 or 4 rankings depending on variance and then make a list of my own based on those.
Old 08-06-2015, 11:28 AM   #33
HillCoBowHunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Lampasas, Georgetown, Burnet

Never understood picking a QB in the first round. Pick an RB and it should be between Bell and AP. Despite 2 game suspension you can grab his backup in the late rounds to hold you over for 2 weeks.
HillCoBowHunter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-06-2015, 11:29 AM   #34
Fightinaggies
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sutton County

Ap if standard, Charles if PPR. Bell would be hands down number 1 in any format if he wasn't missing 2 games but those two games knocks him out of number one contention for me
Fightinaggies is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-06-2015, 11:31 AM   #35
jer_james
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillCoBowHunter View Post
Never understood picking a QB in the first round. Pick an RB and it should be between Bell and AP. Despite 2 game suspension you can grab his backup in the late rounds to hold you over for 2 weeks.
I've picked a QB in the first round when I was pick 7 and one year 8 and every pick before me was a RB.

That 1 QB was much more valuable than 7th or 8th RB.

And I agree with what you said about Bell
Old 08-06-2015, 12:09 PM   #36
knighttime
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jer_james View Post
I've picked a QB in the first round when I was pick 7 and one year 8 and every pick before me was a RB.

That 1 QB was much more valuable than 7th or 8th RB.

And I agree with what you said about Bell

Yup
Old 08-06-2015, 12:17 PM   #37
solocam_aggie
Pope & Young

If I get an early pick (1-5) Im most likely going RB, RB.

Anything after that and I will be strongly considering going WR, WR. Having Dez & Demarius, or Dez and Julio would be killer. Gamble on some later round RBs and hit, you're golden.
Old 08-06-2015, 01:19 PM   #38
Das71198
Ten Point

Hunt In: Victoria County

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyAg97 View Post
It all depends on your scoring, how many start at each position etc. Without that it's impossible to say.

I always use value based drafting - google it, it's the best strategy in my opinion.
X2
All of the so called Fantasy Football experts are saying - Antonio Brown should be the first pick in all drafts. I personally am a RB, RB, WR, WR kind of guy.
Das71198 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-06-2015, 01:27 PM   #39
rwlopez59
Four Point

Hunt In: E. Tx

I'm a St. Louis RAMS fan, and we have two dark horses...Nick Foles and Todd Gurley. Those two are going to be special this year, MHO.
rwlopez59 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-06-2015, 01:48 PM   #40
jase82
Eight Point

ok so to bring yall up to speed on where I am. its a standard scoring league, 10 team league. Im really thinking that I go rb like bell or ap first. if I pick them then hopefully by the time that I pick again... I can get a qb. I have considered trading my pick and getting a 5th pick or something and then again ill get the 15th and back to 20th and 21st... not sure if I can get someone to do that deal though
Old 08-06-2015, 02:28 PM   #41
whitetailtrail
Ten Point

Hunt In: North Texas

I went rb wr rb qb wr rb rb te
Ended up with cj Anderson Odell beckham Alfred Morris Big Ben Jordan Mathews Andre Ellington joique bell and Owen Daniels
whitetailtrail is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-06-2015, 03:08 PM   #42
jase82
Eight Point

What do yall think about going with leveon bell and then a whatever is best rb... then going from there? or would you just swing for the fence and get Charles, or ap?
Old 08-06-2015, 03:19 PM   #43
tmurray
Ten Point

Hunt In: Victoria

Quote:
Originally Posted by jase82 View Post
ok so to bring yall up to speed on where I am. its a standard scoring league, 10 team league. Im really thinking that I go rb like bell or ap first. if I pick them then hopefully by the time that I pick again... I can get a qb. I have considered trading my pick and getting a 5th pick or something and then again ill get the 15th and back to 20th and 21st... not sure if I can get someone to do that deal though
You can wait until the 8th round and get a serviceable QB in a 10 team league. Unless of course this is a 2 QB league.

There isn't much difference in the number 10 QB and the number 4 QB at the end of the year.

Only way I'm taking a QB early in a 10 team league is if Luck or Rogers is still there in the 3rd round.

I would be loading up on RB/WR in the 1st 5 rounds and be perfectly happy with Matt Ryan or Tony Romo as my QB.

I would also poll your league to see if anybody wants to trade picks with you. I'd much rather be in the middle of the draft this year, there is no clear cut number 1 making that pick valuable.
tmurray is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-06-2015, 03:34 PM   #44
Tex21
Ten Point

Hunt In: Angelina, Val Verde Counties

Heck Matt Ryan, Phillip Rivers, and a couple others put up good number every week in fantasy. You also have a chance to sneak brady in a late round pick as a bench player just because hes out the first 4 weeks so the QBs I listed will definitely get you through 4 weeks.

I would go AP or Charles over Bell in my opinion.
Tex21 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-06-2015, 03:35 PM   #45
jase82
Eight Point

no one as of yet wants to trade. nothing that will help me atleast. I agree that a qb in the 4th round might be a good choice. would I be stupid for going bell first instead of Charles lacy or ap?
Old 08-06-2015, 03:38 PM   #46
tmurray
Ten Point

Hunt In: Victoria

I don't think so, I can absolutely see going Bell first overall. Just be sure to get DeAngelo Williams in the late rounds to get you through the first couple weeks.
tmurray is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-06-2015, 05:43 PM   #47
OldRiverRat
Ten Point

Hunt In: Navarro County

generally RB is the way to go if picking at the top but i picked first 2 years ago and decided to take Peyton and it worked out just fine, he scored high every week.
OldRiverRat is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-06-2015, 05:48 PM   #48
Efren
Ten Point

Hunt In: Anywhere I can

Personal experience, I've been burned the last two seasons getting a RB on the first pic. I'd go QB first since they are usually the big point makers
Efren is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-06-2015, 05:54 PM   #49
txwhitetail
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Irion Co

Tony romo
txwhitetail is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-06-2015, 05:56 PM   #50
solocam_aggie
Pope & Young

I would stay at #1. Grab Bell or AP. When it comes back around, see if CJ Anderson or Shady are available. Jordy should be in that range too, along with AJ Green.