Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 08-04-2015, 09:15 AM   #51
Puggy625
Ten Point

Hunt In: TX, KS

I'm not loyal to any of brand of truck/car. They all have their quirks and drawbacks. But, with that said. I am driving the first Dodge truck (07 1500 5.7L 4x4) and it will be my last. Between that and the Jeep Liberty that my wife had, it's been a constant battle to keep them both on the road for any length of time with having to fix something. Window motors, ac compressors, water pumps, tranny shift solenoids, front end problems (not covered under recalls) etc. Now I have no real complaint about the motors themselves as they do seem to run good. It's just all the other stuff around it that keeps pooping the bed. This is and will be my last Chrysler product as the 2 that I've owned have left a very bad taste in my mouth. That's just my opinion, based on my personal experience.

When we bought my wifes truck earlier this year (14 F-150), she was antimate about looking at the Dodge's in spite of what our experience was with the product. I simply told her that since it was her truck, I'm not going to tell her yes or no about buying it. BUT, if she decided to buy one, that she better have a good mechanic on speed dial, the money to pay him, and she had to handle getting it repaired. I would have nothing to do with it, period. She decided on the Ford.
Puggy625 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-04-2015, 09:22 AM   #52
Bear82
Ten Point

Hunt In: Vernon where there is no deer

Isn't the answer kind of common sense? The more of a product sold the more it will be out there on the market for sale again. When you buy a new dodge that old one has to be sold somewhere.
Bear82 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-04-2015, 09:28 AM   #53
RascalArms
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Schleicher County

On my second Dodge 4x4 with nairy a problem with either. Sold my '06 to buy my current '11.

I did have to replace the battery on the '06 one summer.
RascalArms is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-04-2015, 09:28 AM   #54
KDinTX
Ten Point

Hunt In: Bosque Co., Henderson Co.

Attached Images

KDinTX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-04-2015, 09:30 AM   #55
TimH
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Ice View Post
Ford should not be in existence for the obamanation they put out between 03.5 until 2011.
We have three of these, two diesels and one gas and they all suck for the must part. The gas one has been the better of the three surprisingly.
TimH is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-04-2015, 09:39 AM   #56
popup_menace
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Back yard, stand, or my dreams

Not a dodge guy, but I am very tempted to try out a dodge 3/4 ton... I haul a gooseneck every once in a while, and my f150 can do it with no problem... But I'd like to see what the cummins is all about.
popup_menace is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-04-2015, 09:40 AM   #57
Heath
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Cisco / Ira

My problem with Dodge trucks is they are ugly.
Heath is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-04-2015, 09:44 AM   #58
Txsurveyor2014
Ten Point

Hunt In: Oklahoma and Angelina County

I have owned Dodge, Ford, and Chevy. They all had their own issues and all of them had been in the shop. It all boils down to personal preference. I will say that the Chevy is the only one that I didn't get rid of for problems, it just got old and worn out.
Txsurveyor2014 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-04-2015, 11:11 AM   #59
Tmag
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Depends on the TPWD draw results!

My favorite Dodge from my younger days!

I got to visit a lot of judges when I drove this one.
Tmag is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-04-2015, 11:16 AM   #60
rubydog
Pope & Young

Hunt In: A tall tree

Quote:
Originally Posted by trophy8 View Post
Hes just running his mouth like the rest lol.

I find that 99% of folks who slam dodge and Ram, havent ever even owned one. My last one has 160k+ on it. I wanted a new one and bought one last september (happy birthday to me ) and me and my wife love it. Fully loaded 1500 with the hemi and 4x4. Folks need to realize the recall is on the older trucks. 2012 was the newest one I think. At least they are doing something about it, unlike ford who just stuck folks with the 6.broke and 6.4 haha
This ^^^^.......... Funny how the rodeo grounds are full of Dodges pulling trailers isn't it? My last Dodge had 275,000 on it and I sold it to the first TBH member that saw it and he has no complaints.
rubydog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-04-2015, 11:17 AM   #61
JonBoy
Ten Point

Hunt In: Mason, TX; Doss, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAMEGETTER2117 View Post
I've seen the commercials, the best selling truck, blah blah blah. I've also seen the recalls and think about this also. Take a drive around used car lots and tell me what brand truck you see the most of, DODGE. Just sayin.
I can't speak to Ford, Chevy or Toyota but I can speak to the fact that my 10 year old 2005 Ram 1500 with 174k miles on it is still running like a top. I have to take mine in for the "recall" but that's just to replace a rear pinion nut. My truck has exceeded every expectation I ever had for it...I have heard all the bad stories over the years and maybe I just lucked into a good one but it's been a great truck and I will definitely buy another.
JonBoy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-04-2015, 11:19 AM   #62
rubydog
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chew View Post
There was a study once that associated brand loyalty with vehicles, beer, "die hard football fans, etc with people that were not satisfied with their lives. They replaced personal goals and accomplishment with inexplicable loyalty to companies and teams to create a false sense of pride and success based on others' status and success.
You need to stop reading Smart's diary......
Old 08-04-2015, 12:43 PM   #63
xman59
Pope & Young

Quote:
I've seen the commercials, the best selling truck, blah blah blah. I've also seen the recalls and think about this also. Take a drive around used car lots and tell me what brand truck you see the most of, DODGE. Just sayin.
my 07 has over 100,000 miles and the only thing that has been done to it was to replace the a/c fan,,,, dodge will be the very first thing i look at for my next, but the way this one has been it might be 10 more years before i look,, i have had a lot of fords , 1 chevy,,, never thought i would ever own a dodge, now i dont think i will ever not own one......

name one vehicle that has been around 5 years or more without any recalls...
xman59 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-04-2015, 12:51 PM   #64
Bumpy
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubydog View Post
This ^^^^.......... Funny how the rodeo grounds are full of Dodges pulling trailers isn't it? My last Dodge had 275,000 on it and I sold it to the first TBH member that saw it and he has no complaints.
Go auction barns and Dodge 2500, 3500 with the Cummins engine dominates what you see. The Cummins engine is why I purchased mine. Most of my family drives Dodge Rams. Biggest issue I hear about older trucks Is the dash cracks. I'll take a cracked dash on a 10 year truck over engine issues any day!
Bumpy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-04-2015, 12:56 PM   #65
Extremehunter37
Eight Point

Hunt In: Burnet

FIAT dodge ram
Extremehunter37 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-04-2015, 12:58 PM   #66
perfectstorm
Pope & Young

Quote:
Are you in trouble? Do we need to come rescue you?

I'm just assuming someone has a gun up to your head & is forcing you to buy a Dodge.....
perfectstorm is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-04-2015, 01:11 PM   #67
BigFoot
Pope & Young

Hunt In: La Vernia, Hidalgo County

Quote:
Originally Posted by onetondodge View Post
Why must people care so much about what other drive. I'm a dodge fan. Think I have personally owned 10 between wife and me. Not counting the ones on our landscape crews. They seem to work fine with no issues. Oh well it's time to go to work. Going to go hop in the DODGE and see if I can make it with out people looking down on me.
I'm going to sit here and judge you quietly
BigFoot is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-04-2015, 01:12 PM   #68
Goldeneagle
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever I get a chance.

Quote:
There was a study once that associated brand loyalty with vehicles, beer, "die hard football fans, etc with people that were not satisfied with their lives. They replaced personal goals and accomplishment with inexplicable loyalty to companies and teams to create a false sense of pride and success based on others' status and success.
Like this?

Name:  Mathewssheep.JPG
Views: 201
Size:  54.1 KB
Goldeneagle is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-04-2015, 01:20 PM   #69
systemnt
Pope & Young

Hunt In: South Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubydog View Post
You need to stop reading Smart's diary......
i laughed out loud...
systemnt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-04-2015, 01:20 PM   #70
Texas8point
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Buffalo and Juno, Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blood Trail View Post
My 1998 Ram had 210,000 miles on the original engine and tranny. Put it on Craigslist and sold it 15 mins later.

Bought a brand new Ram 1500 Outdoorsman Mossy Oak edition. No problems yet.

I bet you prolly drive a jap truck.

I drive a 2011 and have put in several long trip and day to day running and never had an issue.
Seems to handle what I'm hauling real well.

Texas8point is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-04-2015, 01:43 PM   #71
trophy8
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumpy View Post
Go auction barns and Dodge 2500, 3500 with the Cummins engine dominates what you see. The Cummins engine is why I purchased mine. Most of my family drives Dodge Rams. Biggest issue I hear about older trucks Is the dash cracks. I'll take a cracked dash on a 10 year truck over engine issues any day!
My 04 I just sold in October of last year after I bought my new truck still had a good dash!! Lol. Never did crack. Had the windows tinted dark and it usually had some dirt on it. I never used any sort of armor all type stuff on it either. It was a great truck. I had wheel bearing go out due to the lift I put on it and water pump went out twice but that was after 120k of hard hit west texas roads. The new one was faulty.
trophy8 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-04-2015, 02:03 PM   #72
DJM
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mills Co,Coryell Co,Lampasas Co

My 05 1500 still going strong.Put a battery in it a couple years ago,EGR valve this Spring.No other issues.I Armorall the dash a couple times a year and have a $5 sun shade I put in the windshield.Other than that just normal servicing.

DJ
DJM is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-04-2015, 02:58 PM   #73
HoustonR6ryda
Ten Point

Hunt In: the woods
Default Hilarious....

Quote:
Thank you Sigmund Freud.
HoustonR6ryda is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-04-2015, 03:02 PM   #74
Chew
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Leon County
Default If DODGE is such a great truck.....?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonR6ryda View Post
Thank you Sigmund Freud.

Hey. I didn't do the study!

I'm just a die hard cowboys fan from Brownsville Texas. And I drive the only brand of truck that doesn't break down. If you need proof, I can show you my game day pic:

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1438715042.276592.jpg
Views: 191
Size:  123.3 KB
Chew is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-04-2015, 03:03 PM   #75
Chew
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Leon County

And my loyalty stamp:

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1438715150.079268.jpg
Views: 350
Size:  46.3 KB
Chew is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-04-2015, 03:05 PM   #76
systemnt
Pope & Young

Hunt In: South Texas

Quote:
And my loyalty stamp:

Attachment 731759
oh thank God its on his arm...
systemnt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-05-2015, 09:52 AM   #77
Blood Trail
Pope & Young

Hunt In: where the manicorn hunts....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mertzon Man View Post
I've seen that truck, good looking truck Leon.

Thanks brother.
Blood Trail is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-05-2015, 10:02 AM   #78
skeeter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Lavaca, Kimble and Colorado Counties

Quote:
kinda like mathews bows. if they are so good why are there so many "like new'' mathews bows for sale?

I've owned just about every truck out there. ford (gas and diesel) chevy, dodge, toyota, nissian. all of em have there pros and cons. all have had their issues, none major. if its mechanical, its gonna break.
skeeter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-05-2015, 10:09 AM   #79
k-town
Ten Point

Hunt In: EAST TEXAS

Decided to try TOYOTA TACOMA after a lifetime driving mostly Ford trucks ...
Sold my 2002 FX4 with 136,000 miles to a friend praying he has as good of luck as I did with her ...
k-town is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-05-2015, 10:43 AM   #80
TxDieselKid
Six Point

Go to a rodeo, look at the contestant parking lot with trailers. Dodge. Dang near everyone of them. That's enough backup to confirm what I already knew.
TxDieselKid is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-05-2015, 10:53 AM   #81
TC
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hamilton County

Attached Images

TC is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-05-2015, 10:57 AM   #82
Thumper
Pope & Young

Dodge trucks are so good even Dodge wants to buy them back.......
Thumper is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-05-2015, 11:34 AM   #83
Texas Stalker
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Oklahoma/Taylor County

I don't even like Dodge pickups and still think this is a waste of a thread. I'm a Ford guy through and through. There are years where one out performs the other. Then there are years one brand is just a dog. Fir me the Ford diesels suked from the 6.0 through the 6.4. Now the 6.7 is leading the pack. It's Dodges time to suk. Now after everyone finally figures out all the new govt regulations and perfects it it'll get easier for all the companies. Your govt is to blame for the diesel problems......period.
Texas Stalker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-05-2015, 11:40 AM   #84
Tmag
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Stalker View Post
I don't even like Dodge pickups and still think this is a waste of a thread. I'm a Ford guy through and through. There are years where one out performs the other. Then there are years one brand is just a dog. Fir me the Ford diesels suked from the 6.0 through the 6.4. Now the 6.7 is leading the pack. It's Dodges time to suk. Now after everyone finally figures out all the new govt regulations and perfects it it'll get easier for all the companies. Your govt is to blame for the diesel problems......period.
I saw you in that Ford the other day, I think!

Old 08-05-2015, 11:41 AM   #85
Texas Stalker
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Oklahoma/Taylor County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmag View Post
I saw you in that Ford the other day, I think!

Rollin on dubs picking up da hoes.
Texas Stalker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-05-2015, 11:43 AM   #86
Tmag
Pope & Young

Lol!!!
Old 08-05-2015, 12:04 PM   #87
TxDispatcher
Ten Point

Hunt In: East Texas Pineywoods, Austin County

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoythitman View Post
I use to drive Dodge trucks. No major problems with either any of the Diesels other than common stuff. Where you can see why they are cheaper is in the cosmetics and suspension. Ride like a dang chuck wagon, dash is broken into 300000000 pieces, center console is broke, half of the electrical stuff doesn't work right. But I put a lot of miles on the with few issues mechanically.

Now we get t my LAST Dodge, I stopped at the pet store to get a kennel, food, bowls, etc... for a new dog we had just bought. Me and my 3 year old daughter get out of the truck and barely make it into the store when there is an announcement over the loud speaker. "To whoever drives the big blue dodge, your truck is smoking." By the time I get outside, maybe 2 minutes after getting out of the truck it is on fire. Electrical problem, just like the other handful of small electrical problems that all of my Dodges had over time. If I would have been driving and feeding it more oxygen no telling how bad the outcome would have been. Switched to Ford a week later and will never go back. Way better ride, nothing falls apart, and they haven't ever had a problem.

Did you really say this? hahahahahahahaha

Thank you sir, I needed that laugh
TxDispatcher is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-05-2015, 12:09 PM   #88
TxDispatcher
Ten Point

Hunt In: East Texas Pineywoods, Austin County

Quote:
Originally Posted by perfectstorm View Post
are you in trouble? Do we need to come rescue you?

I'm just assuming someone has a gun up to your head & is forcing you to buy a dodge.....
TxDispatcher is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-05-2015, 12:09 PM   #89
jer_james
Pope & Young

Been around selling used cars/truck for 15+ years (Im 32)

Ford and Chevys/GMC and Toyotas hold their value

Dodge and Nissan do not

I would never buy a Dodge or Nissan simply for resale alone. You always have good and bad in every brand, but resale never lies in my opinion.
jer_james is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-05-2015, 12:53 PM   #90
Rubi513
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Walker County

Quote:
Originally Posted by jer_james View Post
Been around selling used cars/truck for 15+ years (Im 32)

Ford and Chevys/GMC and Toyotas hold their value

Dodge and Nissan do not

I would never buy a Dodge or Nissan simply for resale alone. You always have good and bad in every brand, but resale never lies in my opinion.
Bought my 04 Dodge dually new for 32K. It now has 112K miles on it. I was offered 19.5K at Texas direct auto about 6 weeks ago.
I would have to say its held its value very well.
Rubi513 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-05-2015, 12:55 PM   #91
Limbwalker
Banned!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwinter501 View Post
I really don't see why so many people care what others are buying. I'm not trying to convince anyone that my truck is better. It's what I wanted and it works for me (so far). I've had all three major brands (no Toyota) and they've all had flaws. Guess I don't see why it matters what others decide to buy.
Agreed, except that I've had fewer problems and less maintenance with any Toyota I've ever owned, than anything else I've ever owned, and that includes dodge, chevy, nissan and ford.
Limbwalker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-05-2015, 12:57 PM   #92
Limbwalker
Banned!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxDieselKid View Post
Go to a rodeo, look at the contestant parking lot with trailers. Dodge. Dang near everyone of them. That's enough backup to confirm what I already knew.
Honest question, do you suppose that's because they can get them cheaper on resale (as was suggested above) or because Dodge is a sponsor they have or are hoping to have? If not, what is it about them?
Limbwalker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-05-2015, 01:00 PM   #93
Problem Child
Ten Point

Hunt In: Santa Fe

my sons 2002 Dodge 2500 4x4 has 210,000 plus miles on it. my 2003 4x4 dually has 190,000 miles on it. replaced a tranny in my sons just yesterday...not bad in my opinion.
i have to agree that i would rather change out a dash board than a tranny.

Posted from Texasbowhunter.com App for Android
Problem Child is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-05-2015, 01:13 PM   #94
rwlopez59
Four Point

Hunt In: E. Tx

In 2010 I bought a 1500 Chevy, in 2012 I traded it in for a F150 Eco-boost, and in 2014 I trade the F150 for a RAM 1500 Eco-diesel. The Chevy got better gas mileage than the F150 by 4 mpg (14 vs 18 highway). The RAM by far is the best truck I've had. It gets 27 mpg on the hwy doing 70 to 75 mph. RAM has come a long way in the form, fit, and function of their trucks!
rwlopez59 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-05-2015, 01:34 PM   #95
TxDieselKid
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limbwalker View Post
Honest question, do you suppose that's because they can get them cheaper on resale (as was suggested above) or because Dodge is a sponsor they have or are hoping to have? If not, what is it about them?
No sir, I know it's cause of the motor in them is the best for pulling. They are usually new also.
TxDieselKid is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-05-2015, 05:29 PM   #96
expressfish
Ten Point

Hunt In: leaseless for now, backyard

212,000 miles on a cummins w/ original tranny, 20mpg. still going strong. no complaints from me. Broken dash, sure its cracked, I dont care Im not trying to show off to anyone. Rides like a brick, well sure it does, it can handle a real load and not squat down in the rear.....turning radius is superior to ford....
expressfish is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-05-2015, 05:45 PM   #97
huntmaster
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Archer County

he probably drives a focus
Heath, Dodges are beautiful
huntmaster is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-06-2015, 11:08 AM   #98
rubydog
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limbwalker View Post
Hmm.. Cheaper on resale??? Have you tried to buy a used Cummins lately? I sold my 2006 3/4 ton 4x4 for 13,000k and it had 275,000 miles on it and both the buyer and myself know I left money on the table.

Try that with some of the others.