I’ve taken time to cool off, but still heartbroken for my daughter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I’ve taken time to cool off, but still heartbroken for my daughter

This is my daughters first year in the trigger for bigger animals. And I know full well it ain’t easy and takes hard work and in East Texas that’s still no guarantee. She’s only 7 but has hunted her @$$ off this season with several 4-5 hour sits. That’s tough for some adults. She shoots and learns while in the field. Not just a “here’s a deer... shoot it” event but is truly vested in the hunt. We ain’t trophy hunting just trying to build confidence with ultra high percentage shots when opportunity presents itself.

It’s East Texas and tough but she has so far had a 130+ 10 inside 40 and just couldn’t get him to hold still long enough to shoot. I’m proud she held off when he turned. Could have left a bad taste in her mouth.

She is getting to the point of discouragement and I understand. I tell her it ain’t easy and she’s doing great it will happen. Be patient and ready

����������������

This evening at 4:30ish a NICE 8-9 comes out checking for does. He loops in and out quickly (less than 30 sec) and leaves walking dead away. I see the tears in her eyes and I hate it but it’s hunting not summer t ball. I get aggressive and grunt 3-4 times and spit (like a wheeze) noise I make with my mouth as he walks out of sight. I tell her stay ready you never know. 15 minuets later I look at a hard angle out the only shooting window in this ground blind and he’s at 15 yards and closing. EVERY HAIR IN ON END, EAR PINNED SIDE STEPPING... 10 YARDS MAX. From a ground blind. She on him.... no possible way to miss... impossible . CLICK!!! we both look at each other and I see panic in her eyes. I rack a second shell as he walks again and stop him a second time at sub 20 but with no shot offered and he simply walks away looking for the fight. I pick up shell and put in pocket. Primer struck hard. Brought it home tried again... click. Chunked it. Fired 5 more flawless.

The 1 in 6000000000099 shells that will misfire and it’s on a stud of a buck for my baby girl. We both cried I’ll be honest. I’m sick. I’ve looked at ammo manufacturers web site and there’s no way to contact them till tomorrow.... and they will be contacted. I don’t expect them to do anything nor do I want any compensation just a HEY $$&* hat here’s what happened

Glad it was a big buck instead of me needing that one round to defend my family.

I’ll wait to see their response if any before I throw them under the bus and maybe cool off and speak more rational so I don’t say something that’s a jailable Offense

I’ll never forget that click

Imagine being 7 and having this walk away from 10 yards and not a dang thing you can do

Would have/should have first deer
    Attached Files

Comment

Crap on a stick right there.

Comment

Dang it. Better days ahead. One day you and your daughter will look back and laugh about it. When she gets him on the ground it will be all the sweeter.

Man it's easy to be philosophical when it wasn't my ears that heard that click, or saw that disappointment in my daughters eyes. Hang tough.

Comment

Feel bad for you both! Plenty of time she’ll get one keep your head up and get back out there!

Comment

Good job gettin’em to her Dad. **** happens. Move on and look forward. I look forward to the young lady’s LDPs.

Comment

Man that’s tough but there’s a good lesson to be learned here for her. Life is going to throw much bigger curves at her for the rest of her life. It’s all about how you respond. She’s working her tail off and has had a couple of hiccups along the way but there is still plenty of season left. Keep her chin up and get back after em.

Comment

Wow!!!

That was a really really nice buck. No way my 7 year old son would sit as long as your daughter. Kudos to her.

Comment

Been there and done it with my daughter. It's hunting and just like in life unexpected things do happen. It's hard to deal with now but I can say with certainty it's a memory neither of you will soon forget. There will other opportunities.

Comment

Lessons learned and memories created.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Comment

That stinks.

Comment

Winchester ammo?

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Comment

What kind of ammo? American Whitetail?

Comment

Originally posted by SolocamShooter View Post
                            What kind of ammo? American Whitetail?
                            I was going to ask the same.

You are doing good “Dad” be patient with her. The harder the work, the sweeter the reward!

Comment

I agree. It is way worse when it happens to one of your children.
                              I know it's harsh, but, maybe good can come from this in time. If nothing else, a learning experience. This one will haunt her for a long time. I am sorry for her.....

Comment

Working...
                              X