Amistad?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by justletmein View Post
    I've always wanted to setup a "back country" camp on the lake for a whole trip. We could run the boat and ferry the kayak(s) behind and make a base camp. That way everyone still has their independence but doesn't have to make the long paddle to get there and back.
    that sounds like a awesome time. I am in if you decide to do it.

Comment

Originally posted by Alaskahunter View Post
      That would be awesome! I brought all the stuff to camp last year but didn't end up using it. I will bring it again in case you are around. I did purify water out of the lake several days and didn't get sick so that is a good thing. I read you must carry all human waste out with you. I thought that was weird. I also read you have to camp 1/4 mile from the hunt area but that isn't a big deal
      Not sure on the human waste thing, might be they meant more along the lines of "human trash" than #1 or #2.

I'd like to call and see if it's legal to camp on one of the small islands outside of the hunt areas. Should be a good relaxing time fishing from the bank with a little fire going.

Originally posted by Pedernal View Post
      that sounds like a awesome time. I am in if you decide to do it.
      Absolutely want to do it next year for sure. I'm tired of launching the boat 4 times per day lol.

Comment

You guys know you can't camp in the hunt areas don't you?

Comment

The 1/4 mile rule does include the islands... which is really why it's there. There really isn't any options to camp close to area 4. I ran a kayak to area 4 this year from 277 north boat ramp and it was 4 miles one way. It was tough coming back at night and I was in a hobie outback.

Comment

We'll figure it out, 1/4 mile is only 440 yards so not that big of a deal.

Comment

The rules are very vague, I couldn't get any real answers about camping from the park. I even printed off a map and put circles on it, scanned and emailed them asking if I could camp where the circles are and they replied I should be able to. There is fine line on the river bottom and water depths, if the land North of area 4 is private or in the flood plain. I didn't want to take any chances, I figure being a non resident they would try to slam me for something. They Def said you have to carry out #2. I read a kayak forum where guys got ticketed for camping on edge of the Devils river. The first day we hunted it got 85 degrees and to us it felt like 200 degrees, we hunted all day and found a shade tree. It had to be 20 degrees cooler there. But I realized quick if I tried to camp I would have to find some good shade or it wouldn't be fun and I don't think good shade would be in the flood plain.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Comment

Can you guys tell me if the peninsula that is on the hunting map of area 4 that comes down towards 454, is this there? Or is the map old and the peninsula is all under water now? Just islands?

Comment

Something about a certain amount of feet over the full lake level is all accessible, save for actually being IN a hunting area of course. Probably best to talk to someone in person, however I have a couple game warden's cards who work the lake so I may just call them and see if they're more useful than the parks service.

Comment

Ya. I was hoping to run into a ranger and ask a bunch of questions. I couldn't get much out of the office.

Comment

Can you guys tell me if the peninsula that is on the hunting map of area 4 that comes down towards 454, is this there? Or is the map old and the peninsula is all under water now? Just islands?

That's all just islands if it's the spot I think you're referring to.

Ya. I was hoping to run into a ranger and ask a bunch of questions. I couldn't get much out of the office.

They're around, we usually see them in the camp sites and they'll stop by and BS for a while. They've been really cool last few years, nice people. Had a bad one many years ago but haven't seen him since.

Comment

Thanks, I think that is the route I'm going to try. Google Earth says it's 1 1/2 miles but I'm hoping I can kinda bounce from island to island. All I will have is a pack raft, it packs down to the size of a basketball and weighs six pounds so I can bring it in my bags. We use em up here to pack in up rivers and then if you harvest something you just blow them up and float back to the road. You can hike 40-50 miles in and then float back in a day. It has a weight limit of 600 pounds and I've had a whole quartered caribou and gear on it before and a sheep but they aren't very wind freindly. If you guys see a guy getting blown to Mexico please pick me up. Or I'll pay for anyone's gas, launch fees if they want to hunt when I'm there. Thanks for all the info and contact info. I'll Def be sending you guys a text when I arrive.

Comment

Just keep an eye on the winds, you'll be better able to assess on site. You can always choose a different launch point.

Comment

Originally posted by justletmein View Post
                            Something about a certain amount of feet over the full lake level is all accessible, save for actually being IN a hunting area of course. Probably best to talk to someone in person, however I have a couple game warden's cards who work the lake so I may just call them and see if they're more useful than the parks service.
                            Any land touching water up to the 1144 elevation is part of the park...

Comment

Most of peninsula is currently islands. They have dropped the lake about three feet in the last two weeks so not sure where it will be. If your raft catches too much wind, launch location will probably need to be dictated by wind direction the day you go out.

Comment

Thanks, I think that is the route I'm going to try. Google Earth says it's 1 1/2 miles but I'm hoping I can kinda bounce from island to island. All I will have is a pack raft, it packs down to the size of a basketball and weighs six pounds so I can bring it in my bags. We use em up here to pack in up rivers and then if you harvest something you just blow them up and float back to the road. You can hike 40-50 miles in and then float back in a day. It has a weight limit of 600 pounds and I've had a whole quartered caribou and gear on it before and a sheep but they aren't very wind freindly. If you guys see a guy getting blown to Mexico please pick me up. Or I'll pay for anyone's gas, launch fees if they want to hunt when I'm there. Thanks for all the info and contact info. I'll Def be sending you guys a text when I arrive.

I live in Del Rio, have a boat and don't mind helping you out. When are you planning your trip? Send me your number in a PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X