Pasture Weed/Vine Identification

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pasture Weed/Vine Identification

I need a little help identifying a weed/vine I have in my cow pasture. Mainly grows down fence lines and under trees. It does grow in some spots in the pasture. Any help on chemical to kill it would help. Thanks
    Attached Files

Looks like Green Brier to me. You can use Remedy Ultra on it, but make sure there isn't going to be a rain for a few days as it needs to get good and soaked into the plant. Results may take a week to start seeing. Best advice is to spray it then give it a a few weeks or a month if you can afford that much time to make sure the poison has had a chance to get into the roots. then mow, cut, or burn it out.

Comment

Briar vines. its harder to kill but had luck with roundup which you will have to hit it a couple times. Remedy works well too but watch so you don't spray too much around trees.

Comment

Remedy X3. Use a surfactant.

Comment

Thanks for the info. For the small single vines in the pasture that are 12"-16" tall can I mix remedy with my grayzon p+d and spray at the same time when I spray my pastures?

Comment

Originally posted by Soggy Bottom View Post
            Thanks for the info. For the small single vines in the pasture that are 12"-16" tall can I mix remedy with my grayzon p+d and spray at the same time when I spray my pastures?
            Yes, but check grazing restrictions, Remedy has stricter grazing restrictions than Grayzon I believe. Not sure how big your pasture is but that could get expensive, it might be more effective to spot spray the vine than to waste a lot of chemicals.

Comment

Originally posted by chewy View Post
              Briar vines. its harder to kill but had luck with roundup which you will have to hit it a couple times. Remedy works well too but watch so you don't spray too much around trees.
              Mine grow around trees using them to climb

Comment

Does look like green briar but my question is why you want to kill it? Highly preferred deer food. I look at it as a browse indicator to assess population trends.

Comment

Originally posted by elgato View Post
                  Does look like green briar but my question is why you want to kill it? Highly preferred deer food. I look at it as a browse indicator to assess population trends.
                  I don't think the OP is looking to feed the deer but rather his cattle.

Comment

That's correct. I have food plots planted for deer. I'm trying to clean my fence lines and pastures up.

Comment

Green briars---and it is a primary browse indicator for me on the places I hunt. I have also watched cows and donkeys eating on them as well.

Comment

Free, natural, high protein perennial food plot. I would love to have a few acres of it. In most areas deer numbers keep it in check. Late summer they destroy it in areas I have had it.

Comment

I have read that green briar is a large part of a deer populations diet. If you don't like it there, get to work with the clippers.

Comment

Originally posted by elgato View Post
                            Exactly. I keep mine in place.

Comment

Great deer food. However, if trying to clean up fences, good luck. Stuff always seems to come back. Hard to get rid of...

Comment

Working...
                              X