Questions For Those That Have Been To Africa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rut-ro View Post
    What percent of the people On the flight from Atlanta to Jberg are hunters ? How bad s the flight? I may try and make a trip in 2019/2020
    every time I've gone (3x's) there have been many other hunters. As mentioned they all have some sort of hunting shirt and generally a camo back pack as their carry on. I've never sat next to another hunter, but there are plenty of them. On the way back everyone is sharing stories. Lots of strangers coming together to talk hunting. Pretty cool experience

Originally posted by IDFWU View Post
    I think we are on the same flight on the way back...7:55pm?

We leave San Antonio on June 5.
    There's only 1 flight per day so yes, you will be on the same flight.

Comment

Also, i'm looking at travel insurance from AIG travel guard. Its about $900 each for my wife and I but includes emergency evac.

I won't need Global Rescue on top of this right?

How much did you pay for travel insurance?
      I've never had Global Rescue. I can see the value in it, especially if you aren't in the best health. But, if you are going with a good outfitter it will be less likely you will need it. They will take good care of you. My outfitter has access to a helicopter and if any accident happens they will fly you to the hospital. I realize the comfort of knowing you will get back to your home country if the worst happens, but chances are the worst is not going to happen. It is a good peace of mind and I don't discourage it if you want it, just that it is not necessary. Accidents do happen so only you can decide if it is worth it to you.

Comment

That looks like the one I have. Another trick, take a 3ft extension cord. You can turn one plug into 3 that way. Depends on how much stuff you have to run/charge. Cell phone, tablet, video camera, go pro, laptop, toothbrush, second video camera, digital camera, etc....

Also, though that converter works in SA with their plugs, you may also still need a plug adapter. Its weird but sometimes the outlets are different. I'll see if I can find what I'm talking about. Here's what I found:

Which power plugs and sockets in South Africa?
        In South Africa the power sockets are of type D, M and N. Check out the following pictures.

Type D: mainly used in India, Sri Lanka, Nepal, and some African countries. This socket only works with plug D.
        Type M: looks like plug D, but with larger pins. This socket only works with plug M.
        Type N: used in Brazil and South Africa. This socket also works with plug C.

Click image for larger version

Name:	type_D.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	4.5 KB
ID:	24534580 Type D

Name:	type_M.jpg
Size:	3.6 KB
ID:	24534581 Type M

Name:	type_N.jpg
Size:	3.6 KB
ID:	24534582 Type N

You may need to get an adapter from plug type M to N
        Last edited by rladner; 03-19-2018, 12:48 PM.

Comment

So I'm curious, with the thread the other day about the government taking over the ranches how does this effect the hunting over there? I was thinking the other thread said the hunting would probably be shut down for a while until everything settles down.

Comment

Originally posted by ColinR View Post
            So I'm curious, with the thread the other day about the government taking over the ranches how does this effect the hunting over there? I was thinking the other thread said the hunting would probably be shut down for a while until everything settles down.
            nope, nothing is shutting down. I don't have a hunt planned for this summer, but am booked for July 2019. I plan on being there and have a great time as usual. There might be some good deals to be had if the hunting slows. If it slows it will be because fear has kept people away. I don't believe we will see the violence that is being discussed by some. Just a bunch of politics in my opinion. Hope I'm right

Comment

I hope you are correct too! I really want to go back at least one more time!!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Do I need a broker to get my trophies from customs in Dallas??
                Do I need to have my Taxidermy chosen before I get my animals shipped?

Comment

Originally posted by sec View Post
                  Do I need a broker to get my trophies from customs in Dallas??
                  Do I need to have my Taxidermy chosen before I get my animals shipped?
                  You can do it yourself and save money, but I found it easier to let Coppersmith's do it in Dallas and I did have a taxi picked out before I left.

Comment

Costs

Originally posted by Mudslinger View Post
                    You can do it yourself and save money, but I found it easier to let Coppersmith's do it in Dallas and I did have a taxi picked out before I left.
                    Do you know what their service totaled?

Comment

Should I have Taxidermy done at home or in Africa, thoughts????
                      I've heard both are the best......

Comment

Originally posted by sec View Post
                        Should I have Taxidermy done at home or in Africa, thoughts????
                        I've heard both are the best......
                        Do the dip and ship over there and have them mounted here. Shipping is done by VOLUME, not weight and volume on mounted critters can be expensive. Besides if something is wrong when you get the mount back over here, what are you going to do sent it back over to have it fixed or pay someone here to do it? The last time I flew over I had a gentleman tell me he had a shoulder mount done on an Eland and the shipping was $3000!

Comment

Thanks MUDSLINGER, all good points.

Comment

I always prefer to have mine done here. On backskins and rugs, I have them done over there because its so much cheaper and its hard to mess up tanning. Everything else I have done in the us for the very reasons Mudslinger mentioned

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by rladner View Post
                              I always prefer to have mine done here. On backskins and rugs, I have them done over there because its so much cheaper and its hard to mess up tanning. Everything else I have done in the us for the very reasons Mudslinger mentioned

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk
                              I agree with Mudslinger & rlandner, and I would also add that I would not hesitate to have any skulls done as Euro mounts in Africa as well. It's difficult to mess up a Euro, and a few African taxidermists are now offering some really cool and unique mounting options for Euros such as having them done on war shields, or other unique African themes... In general, Euros will also be much cheaper than having them done here. But, I do agree that if you have a good taxidermist here at home that has experience with African game, it's a better option to have shoulder or full mounts done here in the USA.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X