Wyoming antelope

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wyoming antelope

Anyone ever been? I’m looking at units 26,38 and 133. Limited public access but I think I could do ok with gps and chip.. thoughts, tips? Thanks in advance.

Sounds awesome. Keep us updated. Wish I could help

Comment

I’m interested as well! Would like to go this year

Comment

I want to go lol. Worked up there for awhile but so so busy I did not get a chance. Are some smoke antelope and it freaking awesome

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I've hunted 26 a few times, it's mostly, if not all, private. Any unit with much public is probably gonna take a few points to draw. Go to Wyo G&F website and search the draw odds for whatever unit you're interested in and you'll know what you're up against there.

Eastern Wyo is mostly private except for the grasslands in 27. Takes several points to draw that. Most of the goats are on private land anyway, they know where the line is

Your best bet to hunt this year is to try to find some ranch that takes a tresspass fee to hunt. It's basically a DIY except you pay a small fee to hunt the place. That's what I've done for 7/8 trips up there. They're getting harder to find though, as outfitters have leased most of the ranches that allow hunting. Good luck !

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
            I've hunted 26 a few times, it's mostly, if not all, private. Any unit with much public is probably gonna take a few points to draw. Go to Wyo G&F website and search the draw odds for whatever unit you're interested in and you'll know what you're up against there.

Eastern Wyo is mostly private except for the grasslands in 27. Takes several points to draw that. Most of the goats are on private land anyway, they know where the line is

Your best bet to hunt this year is to try to find some ranch that takes a tresspass fee to hunt. It's basically a DIY except you pay a small fee to hunt the place. That's what I've done for 7/8 trips up there. They're getting harder to find though, as outfitters have leased most of the ranches that allow hunting. Good luck !

Thanks for the info! Looking at the maps and google earth it looks like there is a few spots with access to blm and state land. Is this inaccessible or just not worth it in your experience? It’s a long drive lol thanks again

Comment

On my list of things to do.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Comment

I have been the last two years and it’s a blast. There’s twice as many antelope than there are people in eye. Last year I hunted out of Thermopolis and this year out of Casper.

Comment

Goat hunts with no points are definitely doable. Do your research and you'll find enough public land to chase goats on. No need to spend more money on trespass fees when you have enough public land available to you.

Comment

Thanks for the tips guys!

Comment

Originally posted by youngbuck1 View Post
                      Thanks for the info! Looking at the maps and google earth it looks like there is a few spots with access to blm and state land. Is this inaccessible or just not worth it in your experience? It’s a long drive lol thanks again
                      Lots of BLM and state land is "checkerboarded" and you can't access it without crossing private. It's like that on the place I hunted for the last few years in 26. No water on the public either, and where I was, not enough relief in the terrain to spot and stalk if you're bowhunting.

The Eastern part of Wyo has typically been easy to draw with zero points, but that's changing. I have steadily watched draw odds diminish in 26 over the last few years. That doesn't mean you can't draw, just that the odds aren't in your favor. It is a long drive, especially coming home !

You have until May now I think to enter. You get three choices in the draw, so make the easy-to-draw unit your second or third choice. Your first choice should be one that you know you can't draw, and you'll get a preference pont and still be able to hunt if you draw your second or third choice. Do that for 3/4 years and you can hunt almost any unit. Then, it starts all over again when you burn those points. Sucks, but it is what it is.

Comment

Lots of BLM and state land is "checkerboarded" and you can't access it without crossing private. It's like that on the place I hunted for the last few years in 26. No water on the public either, and where I was, not enough relief in the terrain to spot and stalk if you're bowhunting.

The Eastern part of Wyo has typically been easy to draw with zero points, but that's changing. I have steadily watched draw odds diminish in 26 over the last few years. That doesn't mean you can't draw, just that the odds aren't in your favor. It is a long drive, especially coming home !

You have until May now I think to enter. You get three choices in the draw, so make the easy-to-draw unit your second or third choice. Your first choice should be one that you know you can't draw, and you'll get a preference pont and still be able to hunt if you draw your second or third choice. Do that for 3/4 years and you can hunt almost any unit. Then, it starts all over again when you burn those points. Sucks, but it is what it is.

Awesome info, thanks drycreek!

Comment

Originally posted by youngbuck1 View Post
                          Anyone ever been? I’m looking at units 26,38 and 133. Limited public access but I think I could do ok with gps and chip.. thoughts, tips? Thanks in advance.
                          Careful on using just the GPS with chip. OnX showed roads as being public that weren't, so before you go, double check with the county website for a map of public roads.

Goodluck, I went with friends in 2016 and am going back in 2018 if we get drawn.

Comment

We hunted 21 between Kaycee and Casper in 2012. There used to be a lot of leftover tags in that unit and there was quite a bit of BLM land. It wasn't the prettiest of areas, but there were lots of antelope. There were 6 of us with buck tags and 3 tagged out (myself included); all 6 could have tagged out but some were being a little pickier than others. It was a really easy unit to hunt with easy access. We hunted an area we called "The Bowl" because it was just a big basin with ridges all the way around. There was a really deep dry creek running down into the basin, that you could use for cover to stalk. We actually stalked some antelope to within 200yds and they were feeding toward us. Then a truck came down a nearby road and ran them off. We ended up finding a spot where the Antelope were crossing into "the bowl" and set up there; we all killed ours in that spot. It's a fun hunt, I'd definitely go back.

Comment

Do you have any preference points? Anyone that ever wants to go just start buying points in September its $30 and that way you have them when you want to go.

Units with points give you a couple things. Either better goats or more public land. I went to unit 90-1 a couple years ago. Took a few points but what we gained was the ability to drive for a full day and never leave public land. No giant goats but you couldn't go over a rise without seeing several 70"+ goats all around you.

Comment

Working...
                              X