Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ranch fence experts....need thoughts/opinions. Deer getting hung up.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ranch fence experts....need thoughts/opinions. Deer getting hung up.

I'm wanting to take off the top strand of wire because I've found 3 yearlings hung up in the wire in the past year. Two were injured so bad that they had to be put down.

It appears that when they jump their foot goes between the top two wires and it twists the wire on the way down and they get snagged.

So......if I take off the top wire, do you see any problem, structural or other wise?.

Take the top one off...?
    Or the one below that?

Comment

No structure or other problems. You'll need to lower the second one also and tie it to the fence or you'll still have a problem.

Comment

Originally posted by txtimetravler View Post
        Take the top one off...?
        Or the one below that?
        I was thinking the top one only. That way they don't have to jump as high?

Comment

If you are worried about deer, then I would take both top wires off. Shouldn't hurt the fence if you do that

Comment

See that often with the wire on top of the panel type wire. Hate seeing the dead deer hung up like that.

Comment

What kind of animals are you trying to contain with the fence?

Comment

You could also just lower the second wire. Tie it to the mesh

Comment

Hopefully it’s your cross fence.

You don’t have to remove top wires, you can pop some wire clips and move the wires down and wrapped them to the top of the netwire.

Comment

Top wire 7-8 inches apart and you won't have issue

Comment

Originally posted by shark79 View Post
                      What kind of animals are you trying to contain with the fence?
                      None...The previous owner had goats (or maybe donkeys, I can't remember). I just have dogs now.

Comment

Originally posted by txsteele View Post
                        None...The previous owner had goats (or maybe donkeys, I can't remember). I just have dogs now.
                        Then i would lower both down to the top of the mesh

Comment

Leave the top and bottom wire tied to corner posts but untie the T Posts and tie both top and bottom barb wires to the top wire of the net. If you ever decide to put it back, it’s as easy as untying and tying back to the T posts.

Comment

Originally posted by JakeGraves View Post
                            Leave the top and bottom wire tied to corner posts but untie the T Posts and tie both top and bottom barb wires to the top wire of the net. If you ever decide to put it back, it’s as easy as untying and tying back to the T posts.
                            This. ^^^^^

Comment

And don't post you're putting them down on a public forum. Right thing to do but not legal unless you're tagging them...

And, what they ^^^ said

Comment

Working...
                              X