Potato salad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Potato salad

Need a great potato salad recipe for my daughters birthday party where we will be having brisket,ribs,sausage and the trimmings. I have always just made it with potato,mustard,mayo,egg and pickles but would like something with a little more taste. Let me know how you make yours.

try using the same ingrediants but add some celery and water chessnuts and for a little extra zip omit some of the mayo and ad ranch dressing.

Comment

We recently had a BBQ and I made German Potato Salad as on of the side dishes. I am amazed at the number of people that have never had this wonderful dish. It is one of my favorite side dishes and I prefer it served hot but you can serve it cold to take along on a picnic just as easy. Try this simple recipe and it may become your favorite potato salad.
      Good eating, Wild Ed

German Potato Salad
      5 cups of cooked potatoes
      8 slices of bacon
      1 chopped onion
      2 tablespoons of sugar
      2 tablespoons flour
      1 teaspoon favorite brisket rub
      2 teaspoons parsley flakes
      Salt and Pepper to taste

Dice onion and bacon slices
      Cook bacon until about half done and add onion finish cooking
      Stir in flour, sugar and brisket rub and parsley
      Stir in vinegar
      Bring to a bubble and take off heat
      Dribble over potatoes and toss breaking the potatoes into smaller chunks.
      This can be served hot or cold

Comment

Same thing you do but add a little onion powder and a jar of pimentos... I might have to try the celery next time

Comment

Thanks for the help. Any others?

Comment

How much vinegar do you put in the potato salad? didn't see the amount just seen where you said add it to the other. Thanks for your help

Comment

Originally posted by chadreed88 View Post
              How much vinegar do you put in the potato salad? didn't see the amount just seen where you said add it to the other. Thanks for your help
              Sorry, I start with a couple of healthy splashes or about 1/2 cup to make the sauce the thickness you would like to pour over the potatoes.
              I like the flavor of Cider Vinegar.

Comment

Everything sounds super-delicious.... except the vinegar. Guess I'm just one of those folks that can't stand the stuff in anything. I'll give the recipe a try without the vinegar.

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Kidwell View Post
                  Everything sounds super-delicious.... except the vinegar. Guess I'm just one of those folks that can't stand the stuff in anything. I'll give the recipe a try without the vinegar.

Tom
                  Tom it is sweet and sour, without the vinegar the sauce will be too thick and too sweet. Just use less vinegar.

Comment

I will do that. I guess what I was trying to say is that I don't like vinegar when it overpowers all the other ingrediants! Thanks!

Tom

Comment

Everybody raved about the potato salad! It was great... even with the vinegar!

Tom

Comment

It was my grandmother's family recipe and I have always loved it. I like it hot and then eat the leftovers cold the next day if there are any. Glad you enjoyed it. ET

Comment

Try this and you will love it!

Goody Girl Championship Potatoes

Ingredients
                          1 package dry form crab boil (recommended: Zatarain's)
                          3 pounds red potatoes
                          1 pound thick-cut bacon, diced
                          1 cup diced red onion
                          1 tablespoon minced garlic
                          1/4 pound butter, at room temperature
                          1/4 pound finely shredded Cheddar
                          1 green onion, chopped
                          1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
                          1/2 teaspoon paprika
                          Salt and pepper
                          3/4 cup sour cream
                          Directions
                          Fill a 6-quart pot 2/3 full of water; add the crab boil and mix until blended. Cut the potatoes in half and slice into 3/8-inch thick pieces. (This can be done ahead of time; cover the potatoes with ice water until ready to cook.) Add the potatoes to the pot. Bring water to a boil and cook the potatoes until fork-tender.

While the potatoes are cooking: in a medium saute pan on medium heat, cook bacon until crispy; remove and drain on a paper towel. Add red onion to bacon grease; cook until caramelized. Just before onions are done, add garlic and cook until lightly brown.

In a bowl, place butter, 1/2 the cheese, 1/2 the bacon bits, 1/2 the green onions, the cooked red onions and garlic, cayenne, paprika, salt, pepper, and sour cream; mix together thoroughly.

Strain potatoes and add to bowl; let stand for a few minutes or until cheese starts to melt. Fold ingredients together, trying not to break up the potatoes excessively. Top with remaining cheese, bacon, and green onions.

Check seasonings and adjust to taste.

Comment

Sounds tasty!

Comment

That last one sounds great. Have to try for my next bbq.

Comment

Working...
                              X