Advice on Custom Bolt action

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice on Custom Bolt action

Hunting Rifle. Would like to have someone built me custom rifle.

Looking for starting point

Model 700 platform

Maybe Carcon barrel

.300 Ultra Mag 7mm STW

Custom stock etc....

APR site sponsor and close to Mansfield

Comment

I can’t speak for APR, but I’ve the three I’d recommend again from the builders I’ve used is West Texas Ordnance (WTO) out of Ackerly, Texas Custom Rifles (TCR) our of Hobson, and Bullworx out of Amarillo. I’ve used a few others, but those three were lights out rifles with fit and finish, and excellent to deal with along the way. I haven’t had a bad rifle yet, but I’ve had some builders that I’d prefer to not send another dime.

Comment

Crimson accuracy in Cresson TX

Comment

As far as a 700 Action goes there are quite a few good options at great prices these days to spend the money to work a 700 imo. Say you have $300 (low figure) in a 700 Action. By the time you true it for $250ish, add a knob ($60-100), and a rail ($50-100) then you’re already within $100 of some of the options out there these days. Also a 700 doesn’t hold its value as well as a custom Action, which will more than pay for itself if you ever decide to sell or trade it.

Comment

1. Don't listen to couch snipers!

West Texas Ordnance built me a fine hunting rifle off a 700 action

Comment

Originally posted by Aggiehunter08 View Post
              1. Don't listen to couch snipers!

West Texas Ordnance built me a fine hunting rifle off a 700 action
              Weak bolts, crappy extractors, and less than enthusiastic resale are he main reason to not use a 700. Sorry about your feelings.

Comment

If I was building a custom I would do just that. Reach out to Cajun Blake would be my advice and tell him what you are wanting and budget

Comment

Originally posted by TX03RUBI View Post
                  Weak bolts, crappy extractors, and less than enthusiastic resale are he main reason to not use a 700. Sorry about your feelings.
                  I was just following to OPs guidelines of a 700. My feelings are fine, I'm not a snowflake My next custom rifle will have a Defiance Deviant Action.

Comment

I have a rem 700 7mm stw I'd sell. Just don't have time to shoot anymore.

Trued action-done by hill country rifles
                    Bedded B&C Medalist A5 fully adjustable stock(tan w/ black webbing)
                    Bartlein barrel(sendero contour) never been shot since install-chambered by Thoroghbred rifles
                    Threaded w/ speedy gonzalez designed break
                    Harris bipod
                    Fluted and cerokoted bolt w/ badger knob
                    Badger ordinance rail

PM me if interested, I'm in roanoke.

Comment

I was just following to OPs guidelines of a 700. My feelings are fine, I'm not a snowflake My next custom rifle will have a Defiance Deviant Action.
                      Pretty sure name calling simply because I offered the OP a bit of advice shows a hint of hurt feelers. If your post wasn’t directed at me, which it does seem to be, then I apologize.

Comment

Guess I meant to say 700 footprint, was looking at the Difiance action, thanks for info

Comment

Originally posted by TX03RUBI View Post
                          Pretty sure name calling simply because I offered the OP a bit of advice shows a hint of hurt feelers. If your post wasn’t directed at me, which it does seem to be, then I apologize.
                          Post was not directed at you. If it was I would have called you out individually Let's keep this gentlemen's thread on track.

Comment

Pete Pieper also a great guy for 700 action and barrel work.
                            With that said, I agree to start out with a better action unless you already own the doner action. APRs action is a great start and their work is top notch.

Comment

Post was not directed at you. If it was I would have called you out individually Let's keep this gentlemen's thread on track.
                              My mistake. Sorry about that!

OP I wouldn’t necessarily limit it to Defiance, but you certainly can’t go wrong with them. For a hunting only rifle I’d look at the a few of the Ti options as well. Lone Peak Fuzion Ti (Which WTO is offering), Pierce, and Mesa Precision all offer long action titanium actions. Unfortunately the Mack Bros action, which is my favorite Ti, isn’t offered in a LA footprint. That said the Deviant Ultralight would definitely be in the running for me. It just looks sexy, as well as performs. Curtis and ARC both have very economical action that will come in significantly cheaper than any or the other suggestions, while still providing a quality product.

As far as builders I’d take lead time and work history as the top two factors into my decision. Price would be somewhere behind those. I don’t mind paying for quality, but there is a point of diminishing returns. Some builders charge astronomical figures because they can, but without performing any better than their lesser known competitors who charge 50-70% for the same work and same quality. Some builders will have a better resale value as well, so that’s also something to factor in. I can tell you that two of the biggest names in the game I wouldn’t use again.

Regardless of what you choose I’m sure you’ll enjoy it more than you thought possible. I’ll warn you though. They multiply pretty easily if you’re not careful.

Comment

Working...
                              X