Large caliber rifle help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Large caliber rifle help

Just day dreaming here....If a fella had an assortment of rifles and the most powerful one was 6.5 creedmoor, what large caliber would you recommend? Something that could be used for elk, moose, bison, bear, nilgai, African plains game.

I don't reload and would only want an off the shelf rifle/common cartridge.

Seems like 30-06 or 300 win mag would be the top choices but what say you?

Hand loading or factory ammo? That would be a huge factor in the decision.

No sure how I missed the no hand loading part. Back to the coffee pot.
    Last edited by TX03RUBI; 03-03-2019, 11:08 AM.

Comment

With the heavies you listed, 338 win mag

Comment

Some will disagree, but I think a 7mag would be enough for all mentioned. I try to have 3 guns, small, medium, and large. I've had a .243, 6.5x55, and 7mm-08. I recently sold the 7mm-08 and picked up a 7mag for some extra pop with the heavier pills.

They've been killing moose in Europe with a 6.5x55 for ages.

There are a couple of good options here. This is what my 7mag is. Shot it yesterday and it was stacking factory ammo.

Last edited by Sleepy; 03-03-2019, 11:07 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by TxAg View Post
          Something that could be used for elk, moose, bison, bear, nilgai, African plains game.

For all those? You listed some big animals. .338 Winchester mag for a guy that’s not reloading.

Comment

Originally posted by Sleepy View Post
            Some will disagree, but I think a 7mag would be enough for all mentioned. I try to have 3 guns, small, medium, and large. I've had a .243, 6.5x55, and 7mm-08. I recently sold the 7mm-08 and picked up a 7mag for some extra pop with the heavier pills.

They've been killing moose in Europe with a 6.5x55 for ages.

There are a couple of good options here. This is what my 7mag is. Shot it yesterday and it was stacking factory ammo.

https://www.eurooptic.com/Sako-A7-En...?homepage_link
            I wouldn’t have any issues chasing anything listed with a 7 mag, and it would most likely be my choice. That said some outfitters may have issue with it. Quite a few have a 30 cal magnum minimum for Nilgai.

Comment

338 lapua.

Comment

Originally posted by TX03RUBI View Post
                I wouldn’t have any issues chasing anything listed with a 7 mag, and it would most likely be my choice. That said some outfitters may have issue with it. Quite a few have a 30 cal magnum minimum for Nilgai.
                Yea, the caliber restrictions could make a difference. If that were the case, I'd go 300WSM or 300WM

Comment

300win or 338win. I like the old standbys super easy to find premium factory Ammo and it’s affordable.

Comment

.375 H&H/Ruger for bear/moose/PG. Will work fine on large and diminutive critters. .300 or .338 Win. Mag would be solid as well. .338/.378 Kubla Khan is the cool factor answer--Just get someone to load for you. :-)

Comment

I would go 300 wsm or 300 win mag. I killed my brown bear with a 300 wsm. One shot and it went straight down. I have watched several bison, elk, and red stag killed with 300 wsm. It’s deadly on big critters with 180 grain ttsx. And it doesn’t beat you to death.

Comment

I am sentimental to the .300 Weatherby mag.

Comment

35 Whelan, will kill anything in north america, and won't beat your shoulder to death.

Comment

.375 H&H. Especially if not handloading, and Africa is on the list. Or .338 Win. Mag., if only North America. You say you have all the smaller numbers covered, and although the old .30/06 will reliably kill anything on earth, some places have caliber restrictions.

Comment

remington sendero in .300 RUM with brake.. rifle is heavy enough and with a brake, the recoil is negligible.

Comment

Working...
                              X