Settled the score - CO Bull down!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Settled the score - CO Bull down!

Just returned from a CO OTC archery elk hunt. My brother in law, Eric Easton (DoublEE) was my partner in crime. We chose to hunt with San Juan Outfitters out of Pagosa Springs. I'd been on a pack trip with them last year and was pleased with their service and skills.

We headed for the Wemenuiche Wilderness on Tuesday - 6-hour trail ride into their elk camp - about 15 miles. Camp has all you need, nothing more. 5 hunters were in camp, 3 guides and a cook. Food is good and plentiful.

We struck out on elk on Day 1. No sounds or sightings. Day 2 we worked a second area and found a bull. Worked him in the morning, but couldn't get him to commit. He lost interest and moved along. Day 3 we hunted a new area. It was a 90 minute ride from camp. As the sun came up, we spotted cows. No bull activity, so we moved deeper into the area. We located a bull around 8 AM and he responded to our cow calling and bugling. We spotted him near the top of the treeline with 3 cows. We had good thermals and cover, so moved closer.

Jesse Bauer, our guide, continued to entice him with cow calls and frustrate him with a bull call. Slowly the bull worked his way down the mountain and prepared for the confrontation.

We set up in a small ravine with blown down trees - both hunters positioned behind large root balls. The caller was back behind us 40 yards. We had a narrow meadow between bull and us.

Bull made his way out into my opening at 45 yards and gave me his right side. I drew but had tall grass interference because of the angle of the shot. I let down and let him come in closer. He worked to my right and closer to Eric. He raked a tree and screamed a bugle. He came a little closer and repeated the raking and bugle. Neither had a shot b/c of the cover.

Bull turned started moving from my right to left - on my side of this narrow meadow. I used the root ball as cover and watched his approach. Bent down and drew - eased up to the left side and readied for shot. He was broadside at 16 yards - anchored and sent it.

100 grain Ram-Cats on FMJs, 65# Xpedition Xcentric7. Shot hit with a loud whack and immediate blood. He ran south down into a larger meadow and over a small spring.

We didn't hear him crash, but both Eric and I saw the shot - it was 100% a kill shot. Blood was good, but not great b/c the arrow only penetrated about 1/2 way.

We determined his general direction and found him near the edge of the meadow. He wasn't piled up, his legs were under him - I think he laid down and died.

We quartered him up and packed him out to a trail about a mile away. Horses and pack mules did the rest of the work.

Very thankful for the opportunity to harvest the animal. Outstanding hunting partner in my brother, Eric. Excellent calling and guiding by Jesse Bauer. Unconditional support from Elise at home.

My first two elk hunt were shutouts - glad to have settled the score.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4538.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	349.9 KB
ID:	25160735

Name:	keelk.JPG
Size:	325.7 KB
ID:	25160736

Name:	IMG_4523.JPG
Size:	178.1 KB
ID:	25160734
    Last edited by kdenhead; 09-26-2018, 08:27 PM. Reason: .

Congratulations, great trip!

Comment

Beautiful bull - congrats!!

Comment

That's a stud!!! Nice!

Comment

Awesome bull, congrats! Great shot too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Love the wemenuchie wilderness

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment