New "Permanent Stand"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New "Permanent Stand"

I started building this one to replace one I built about eight years ago. At the time, I didn't have the money or the know how to build a good one like I'm doing now. I guess the old one still wasn't too bad for a 14 year old kid, and we shot a couple deer out of it. I normally don't build stands this permanent but this location is in a food plot that has been a good spot year after year.

The old one...

Click image for larger version

Name:	stand1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	24733331

I started with 3" channel iron and 1/2" x 3 1/2" lag bolts. I cranked on the middle one in this picture a little too hard and broke it off...

Name:	lag bolts.jpg
Size:	130.0 KB
ID:	24733330

Next I added 2x2" angle iron for support. One down the middle would have been plenty, but I needed another on the right side to attach 2x4's later so I wouldn't have a gap where the tree limb is.

Name:	framed out.jpg
Size:	130.0 KB
ID:	24733328

I built the ladder out of 2" square tubing. It is 18' long with steps every 12" for my vertically challenged hunting buddies.

The top is capped to keep rain from getting in, freezing, and splitting the tubing.

Name:	ladder cap.jpg
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	24733329

A look from the bottom...

Name:	bottom view.jpg
Size:	136.2 KB
ID:	24733327

I should have more time to work on it this week. I'll post pictures as I go.

That is pretty dang cool! You definitly don't have to worry about falling through.

Comment

Looking good Ben. I went bought metal Saturday for a new box blind, dang is metal high.

Comment

durn, all that college stuff is payin off!

Comment

nice job

Comment

I seriously felt it move a little.

Comment

Keep it trad, Man! 2x4's and 16d nails.

Next thing you'll know the ERS will go to V-hull boats instead of crushed bottom ones.....
              Hunting Videos & Flickr Pix

Comment

Looking good Ben.

Comment

looks good

Comment

That is awesome. It would be cool to have trees like that where I hunt. We have some scraggly mesquites and that is it.

Comment

Nice job, Ben! And to think, when we first got hold of Legdog, he cried for the trees when we impaled them with a treestep!

Comment

That is as neat as it gets. No more worrying about that little creak when you move.

Comment

Thanks guys.

I have the 2x4s down with holes drilled through them, but the bolts I bought are too long. After I get that done, it shouldn't take long to make the seats and paint and I'll post the finished pictures.

Comment

ttt

Comment

It is 18' long with steps every 12" for my vertically challenged hunting buddies.
                              You talking about me?

That is a long way from the old Monument stand where you had to jump to another tree and slide down just to hit the first peg.

Comment

Working...
                              X