No announcement yet.

A year in the life of a farm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Awesome video, length was good in my opinion. I like following age progression as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Great video, keep them coming!

Comment

180" with another 3-4" broke off. 4 yr old I think Ouch

Someone else can figure out how to turn it
        Attached Files

Comment

That does stink
          Attached Files

Comment

Yes sir, ouch!

Comment

sub 101 here. always a bridesmaid.

Comment

Was he a casualty of the rut you think? That’s a bummer, heck of a buck!

Comment

Here's a brief clip of a controlled burn we did a couple of weeks ago in an 80 acre pine plantation.https://youtu.be/PY8kROBjYSE

Comment

Really enjoying the videos. Having recently tried to talk in front of a camera and do voiceovers and talk normally, I must say you do a knock out job at it.

Comment

Loving the videos!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Great videos and thank you for sharing your experiences. I took the plunge and look forward to my spring planting. All the best.

Click image for larger version

Name:	16856AD2-4CC4-45F1-B442-67D48F59E3A7.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	85.4 KB
ID:	24575056

Comment

I just finished all 48 pages and all the videos. Took me about 3-4 weeks, but thank you for sharing all your knowledge and information! Truly amazing to see your results! Hope this thread stays alive.

Comment

Pretty sure its gonna be around for another week or 2.

Comment

Originally posted by elgato View Post
                              Gabe Brown is an inspiration ! As I start to understand his approach and have experimented with multi specie cover cropping I have been amazed at what I have learned and actually experienced. It also has made me look at large scale agriculture in a whole new light.

Last year I was driving from my home to southern Ark. for a turkey hunt. Almost every farm I saw was in full tillage mode. The wind was blowing hard and giant clouds of dust was blowing away off the fields. After a 150 mile trip I think I saw one field that was in a winter cover crop.Simple to know that the next steps were massive amounts of fertilizer, pesticides, fungicides, herbicides...much of it sprayed by airplanes on GMO crops. Nothing about that experience appeared sustainable to me.

Enough of that. I haven't finalized my summer cocktail planting rates but roughly this is what I'm planning:
                              Sunn hemp-5 lbs/acre
                              cow peas 12 lbs/acre
                              soybeans 10lbs/acre
                              pearl millet 3 lbs/acre
                              sunflower 3 lbs acre
                              grain sorghum 3 lbs acre
                              buckwheat 10 lbs acre
                              Thats rough and will probably be refined some but fairly sure that is the plant species I'm going with.

Looking ahead to the fall I can get a bit closer to my plan:
                              100 Lbs/acre rye or
                              combination of rye and wheat totalling ~100 lbs/acre
                              2-3 lbs acre radishes
                              1 lb acre turnips. And if clover
                              crimson at somewhere around 10 lbs/acre--That depends on what my goals fro crimson are.

I've been looking closely at my fields to determine if there are any I can skip an herbicide treatment before planting and I have selected all but one. So this spring I will FINALLY be moving forward effectively organic on the preponderance of my plots. Results to be posted here. I should add that part of the key to success with no herbicide will be the density of the summer planting chocking out weeds before they get started.
                              I really really like your ideas about going organic/ no herbicide, or chemicals
                              A buddy of mine, spends a crazy amount of money on chemicals and technology fees, every year. Your videos and internet post are fantastic and I love following them

Comment

Unless I missed it. What about water? Do you have an irrigation system? Do you just depend on the rain God?

I am thinking about west texas. Ft Mckavett area. Rocks and dirt. We have an awsome pecan orchard but each tree has a water line.

Comment

Working...
                                X