Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another thumb release question - which bow shop?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another thumb release question - which bow shop?

I am one of the ones looking at switching to a thumb release this off-season. I have a Tru Fire thumb release that was given to me and have been playing with it. It does not have a barrel style thumb trigger though...it is more of a lever and I am not too sure I like that style. The trigger is rough and seems heavy. My local shop carries Carter, Tru Fire or Ball (can't remember) and Spot Hogg. I played a bit on the trainer with the Spot Hogg and really liked it but I told myself I would not buy one until I tried a bunch. Unfortunately my shop does not have a Chocolate Addiction or Chocolate Lite, which I really want to try. The next closest shop is in Corpus Christi and they carry Stan releases but only have the Shootoff and one other. The tech there said I could try a bunch of other Stan's that are owned by people there and could order whatever I wanted but it's kind of a gamble since that is 5-6 hours round trip. They don't carry Carter. Now I am wondering if I should try what I can locally, go to Corpus and try those or find a shop that carries all of the brands I want to try and plan a trip there. Which leads me to the question, which bow shop? I am originally from Austin and used to shop at Archery Country. Being in McAllen, San Antonio is closer but not by much. Houston is a further drive but I am not familiar with ANY shops there. I am open to suggestions from the green screen!
    Last edited by duck'n; 02-19-2018, 11:41 AM.

What I did was read all the suggestions and read reviews, then just bought the one that I thought was the best. Bit of a risk. I did try some others at the shops.

went with chocolate addiction btw. And it is great. The one bit that bothers me is cold weather. I've had a misfire hitting my coat collar on the draw. Tough to practice for that... when you practice in 90 degrees.

Comment

I shoot a Stan just X ( now discontinued) a really like it. But have heard good things about Carter also. The triggers are soooooo very nice, they are incredable.

Comment

Originally posted by dfkoon View Post
        What I did was read all the suggestions and read reviews, then just bought the one that I thought was the best. Bit of a risk. I did try some others at the shops.

went with chocolate addiction btw. And it is great. The one bit that bothers me is cold weather. I've had a misfire hitting my coat collar on the draw. Tough to practice for that... when you practice in 90 degrees.
        I did just this. Found a really good deal on a Spot Hogg Whipper Snapper and ordered it. I have actually handled this release and tried it on a shot trainer and liked it so what the heck. I can always sell it for most of what I paid or keep as a back up if I find one I like better down the road. As for the collar, I actually had that problem shooting the other day with my regular, collared work shirt that I had buttoned up to the top button. Hadn't thought about adding a jacket to that. Thanks for the heads up.

Comment

Working...
        X