3 day kayak trip on the Colorado river in October

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3 day kayak trip on the Colorado river in October

I have never done an over night camping trip on the river. What are some must haves from anyone that has done this sort of thing before. Obviously weight is a factor and will likely catch fish for food and have mountain house freeze dried food for back up. Thinking about grabbing this up to sleep in.

For drinking water i plan to use various life straw products.

My kayak is a Perception pescador 12'

Comment

That would be fun. Where would u launch/ get out?

Comment

If you’ll be sleeping on sand/gravel bar I’d want to make sure whatever sleeping material that is touching the ground is waterproof so your bedding doesn’t get wet. Last few trips I made I took a cot to keep me off the ground and just used a sheet to cover with. I’ve always used a canoe so there was a little more room for gear.

Comment

I have done one kayak camping/fishing trip for 3 days, paddled from Port O'Connor to Matagorda Island. What I would suggest for sleeping would be hammock. I would think there would be enough places to hang one to sleep. A gallon of water a day to drink. Small portable camp stove (Primus or Jet Boil) and maybe some dehydrated food. Just a few thoughts.

Comment

Originally posted by Darkarcher159 View Post
            I have done one kayak camping/fishing trip for 3 days, paddled from Port O'Connor to Matagorda Island. What I would suggest for sleeping would be hammock. I would think there would be enough places to hang one to sleep. A gallon of water a day to drink. Small portable camp stove (Primus or Jet Boil) and maybe some dehydrated food. Just a few thoughts.
            I thought about a hammock, just not real sure on what the gravel/sand bars will offer to tie off to.

Comment

Don't know where your putting out and picking up but I would look at Google Earth and see if I could preplan my over night spots. I used to fish a lot down river from Smithville. Several islands along that stretch that could be good camp sites.

Comment

Make sure whatever you use for sleeping accommodations will keep you dry. I do a stretch on the Brazos a few times a year, and I use either a Kelty Salida II or Eno hammock with rain fly. My preference is the hammock, but not all spots will accommodate it. I’ve weathered a lot a rain storms and few blizzards in the Kelty so far though. It’s been my backpacking tent for roughly 7-8 years.

On a kayak I’d try to keep gear to a minimum. Don’t worry about alcohol, and use all space for essentials. My normal loadout is hammock, rain fly, and sleeping bag liner. For food a couple packages of ramen (can’t stand ramen day to day, but love it after a long day hiking/kayaking), a couple MH meals, snacks (peanuts, beef jerky, trail mix, etc), a 100oz bladder full of water. For gear I always have a Fenix light in my pocket with spare battery, razor sharp pocket knife, Xpot which doubles as cooking/eating dish, WhisperLite stove with appropriate bottle, 2 water filtration sources, head lamp, 20 ft lf paracord, first aid kit, and small kitchen sack. The sack contains a small amount of seasoning that will last a few days, silverware, 2 Oz of olive oil, wash cloth, eco friendly soap (double for dishes and cleaning myself). A small packet of wet wipes goes a long way to keeping you comfortable as well. I almost forgot the most important of all. Toilet tissue. Take a full roll per person, and double bag them in gallon ziplock bags. You never know when you’ll have an adverse reaction to drinking poorly treated water.

I have two 15 liter dry sacks, and I can pack everything in there easily. A spare part of socks, change of underwear, shorts, and shirt will go a long ways to making you comfortable at night. I know I’m forgetting a few items though.

Comment

We are putting in at little webberville and getting out in Bastrop.

Comment

You sure you will have enough water to float?

Comment

Good info and maps here: https://www.lcra.org/parks/Documents...sers-Guide.pdf

Comment

Make sure you keep an eye on weather UP stream!

Comment

We put in at Bastrop in April and pulled out at Smithville. There were several sand bars along the for tent camping and some trees to accommodate a hammock so we did both. It was great paddling due to rains about 2 weeks prior. It was a great time and hope to do another trip this year.

Comment

Ive done a few trips, both 5 day trips fishing down rivers on both trips. Few things I’d recommend are, good waterproof dry bags. A tent with a floor, jet boil cooker, packable cooking pots/plates, a small packable sleeping bag, good fire starting gear and

I brought gallons of water for drinking/cooking but a life straw would work too. I’d also bring a few gallons in case the water is muddy, nasty. I thought of bringing a hammock but it’s more of a pain to find a good spot for a hammock than a spot for a tent.

Also, rod floaters and tieing off your tackle box is a must. Always close your bags/tackle box when you finish getting stuff out. If/when you dump you’ll be glad to have rod floaters and to have the tackle box tied off.

The mountain house food source is what we did when we didn’t eat fish. It worked well for us. Make sure to bring some spices for both, they’ll need it.

Comment

Working...
                            X