Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by skeeter View Post
    SSS!!!

Tell me what the difference is between a suffering pig or a deer?
    The difference is one carries penalties for killing out of a season, and the other has no season so killing it isn't a problem. does this mean we should be heartless and let it wander around gimp? no, but a call to the GW will answer any and all of the heartlessness regarding it.

Comment

I guarantee you if you are seen hunting/shooting a deer out of season. You will be in trouble for it.
      They will not give a crap about why you said you did it. You was seen doing it.
      What you consider poaching/Hunt or hunting is a opinion and doesnt count next to the game laws we have.
      Gamewardens are just like cops, "they do not know all of the laws" so by asking them in general they will think it is ok and a moral thing to do.
      All it takes is one of them to notice that it is "hunting" out of season. And then no matter what the others have said, your up the creek.
      Sec. 1.101.:
      (1) "Hunt" means capture, trap, take, or kill, or an attempt to capture, trap, take, or kill.
      But "killing an animal out of season" is definitely a violation of game laws.
      Now if you want to risk making that mistake, be my guest.
      Your safest bet is to let it alone no matter how much sympathy you have for the animal. If you take matters in your own hands you run a risk of what is stated below happening to you.
      Your feelings to take the animal out of suffering is not an option.
      Altho many would feel it is the right thing to do, but the law says otherwise.
      If you violate fish and wildlife laws, in addition to civil restitution you may:

* be fined (Class C - $25-$500; Class B - $200-$2000; Class A - $500-$4000; State Jail Felony, $1500-$10,000);
      * be jailed (Class B and higher offenses);
      * face automatic suspension or revocation of licenses for up to 5 years;
      * forfeit hunting gear, including firearms, used to commit a violation.

CIVIL RESTITUTION: In addition to the criminal penalty for hunting and fishing violations, the department will seek the civil recovery value for the loss or damage to wildlife resources. The civil restitution cost is payable to Texas Parks and Wildlife Department and is in addition to the fine assessed by the court. Failure to pay the civil recovery value will result in the department's refusal to issue a license, tag, or permit. An individual who hunts or fishes after the refusal commits a Class A misdemeanor which is punishable by a fine not less than $500 or more than $4,000; punishment in jail not to exceed one year; or both fine and confinement. For questions concerning civil restitution call (512) 389-4630.
      Hogs and yotes are not covered by these laws.
      My self personally dont leave hogs laying. I keep them all or give them to people, not wasting the animal.
      Dont know if i will shoot Yote or bobcats yet, maybe if i end up seeing them all the time. Which would tell me there are too many around.
      Last edited by tx07; 01-22-2009, 12:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Need4speed1 View Post
        Well, it's ok to admit you are a Scientologist...but, sinceyou are not, I know you won't pull a Tom Cruise on us.

I concede that there are a lot of people who are willing to break the law in this case, but to find it shocking is nieve. I would be willing to bet that 100% of the people on this site, and in this nation, break the law on a habitual basis. I bet that you exceeded the posted speed limit or perhaps ran through that red ,er, I mean orange light. In the process of our daily lives most of us violate the law in some form or another violate with or without intent. I knowingly drove my car with the brake light not working and tags expired.

While I agree that nature will take its' course and that I am sure the deer is not thinking that some human should end its' misery, many of us would do this for our own selfish reasons. But I submit to you that God put us here and thus we are an integral part of nature. IMO a deer does have an injury it does experience pain, anxiety and fear. I also hear many stories of hunters who, during the course of a season, kill an in injured deer. Does this meet to your approval, or should the hunter have let nature take it course. Should he exhibit compassion or wait for a better deer to tag?
        If I saw it during hunting season and didn't think it had a chance to make it, then I would put it down and put my tag on it.
        I am not trying to be holier than thou and say I never break the law. I speed from time to time, but I try to follow the laws that have been established. The main point for me here is that while I have sympathy for the animal and don't want to see it suffer, it is nature's way and I don't feel the risk out weighs the benefits

Comment

Tomakat, I hear what you are saying. I understand the law. I was pulled over yesterday in an older vehicle that had expired tags, expired inspection and a malfunctioning tail light. The officer asked me what the situation was and let me walk. I could have been on the hook for about $500-700. I did so at my own risk, but I made hat choice. A lot of GW would not cite based on their discretion and the circumstances. Also,I am sure that those here that are willing to terminate the deer, would do so cautiously.
          Last edited by Need4speed1; 01-22-2009, 03:31 PM.

Comment

That is fine if you decide to take a chance.

But for something like this it can end in a felony depending on the prosecution. You will for sure be screwed on that deal.

The only thing you can do is bow hunt or use a pre 1899 antique firearm "muzzle loader" that doesnt use rim or center fire ammunition.

Would you be willing to risk all this over a wounded deer? I think not.
            The deer is alive still only because it was meant to be at this point. If it dies later, thats just how it will happen.

I know my decision is to let it be.
            All im doing is making a statement that could open some peoples eyes about making decisions, no matter what the law says.

Comment

During the past several years I have watched on a daily basis at least six deer that have had broken legs and EVERY ONE of them has healed completely.

Including this one that we have named tripod.

Click image for larger version

Name:	tripod I(Small).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	23868703

I don't think I will ever shoot another deer that has a broken leg with the thought that I'm doing him a favor.

Comment

Sss

Comment

Ok. Here is a scenario for yall. What would you have done with this buck? He was on the side of the road between Sanderson and Marathon. When I first saw him I thought he was hung in the fence. When I turned around to check it out you could see where lots of folks had circled into the bar ditch to check it out but noone did anything for him. You could tell he had been there a long time and you can see in the pic where he has torn up the ground pawing with his front legs. He can get to no food and no water. So would yall have just driven off leaving this deer in his condition? Also remember that there is no cell coverage in this area to call the GW.

Comment

Let her be was the right choice. We do have regs for a reason.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaspro View Post
                      Ok. Here is a scenario for yall. What would you have done with this buck? He was on the side of the road between Sanderson and Marathon. When I first saw him I thought he was hung in the fence. When I turned around to check it out you could see where lots of folks had circled into the bar ditch to check it out but noone did anything for him. You could tell he had been there a long time and you can see in the pic where he has torn up the ground pawing with his front legs. He can get to no food and no water. So would yall have just driven off leaving this deer in his condition? Also remember that there is no cell coverage in this area to call the GW.

I'll be the unpopular one. Either neck or head shot.

Comment

Originally posted by doncom View Post
                        During the past several years I have watched on a daily basis at least six deer that have had broken legs and EVERY ONE of them has healed completely.

Including this one that we have named tripod.

[ATTACH]75772[/ATTACH]

I don't think I will ever shoot another deer that has a broken leg with the thought that I'm doing him a favor.

Where are you seeing, on a daily basis, 6 deer with broken legs? I am going to guess in a neighborhood hood and that is different. There is going to be significantly less predation in a neighborhood. I see deer that are "wounded" in my neighborhood and a lot of time they survive. As for deer surviving in the wild with a broken leg it is a lot less likely. That is the reason in the wild I would shoot the deer. There is probably a fence in the way of food, water or cover that this deer will not be able to cross.

Comment

Originally posted by bowenarra View Post
                          I'll be the unpopular one. Either neck or head shot.
                          You sir are a compassionate man. Sometimes doing the wrong thing is right.

Comment

Originally posted by bsills View Post
                            Where are you seeing, on a daily basis, 6 deer with broken legs? I am going to guess in a neighborhood hood and that is different. There is going to be significantly less predation in a neighborhood. I see deer that are "wounded" in my neighborhood and a lot of time they survive. As for deer surviving in the wild with a broken leg it is a lot less likely. That is the reason in the wild I would shoot the deer. There is probably a fence in the way of food, water or cover that this deer will not be able to cross.
                            It's actually on the edge of a 400 acre pasture. Four of the six deer were either shot or got caught in a fence and two were (I think) hit by cars. I have killed two coyotes during the same time at this location, so there are predators.

My point was that it's my observation that deer are tough animals and I will hesitate before I ever shoot a deer with a broken leg.

Comment

Originally posted by doncom View Post
                              It's actually on the edge of a 400 acre pasture. Four of the six deer were either shot or got caught in a fence and two were (I think) hit by cars. I have killed two coyotes during the same time at this location, so there are predators.

My point was that it's my observation that deer are tough animals and I will hesitate before I ever shoot a deer with a broken leg.
                              I completely agree that deer are tough. What is on the egde of that 400 acre pasture? Out of curisoty how do you know they were shot or caught in a fence? Did you shoot them or take them out of the fence?

Comment

I came across a doe that had been hit by a car and her pelvis was crushed. Got my pistol and shot her in the head. I looked up the hill and the game warden was watching. I thought "uh-oh" and flagged him to come on down. He just said "you did what I was coming to do" and we dragged her into the weeds.

Comment

Working...
                                X