Can you not accept an inheritance?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can you not accept an inheritance?

About once a year snowbird in-laws ask us to go in on timeshare "points" with them so they can stay a bit longer. (upgrades/extra days, don't know, don't care). We don't want anything to do with timeshares. Stayed at one 13 years ago on our honeymoon as a wedding gift from grandparents, wasn't our thing. Every year, around this time they hit us up and bring up that someday we'll be inheriting one of their timeshare weeks, they actually do an impressive pitch, as they sit through enough to get an extra day here or there at one. Is there a way to refuse this when they croak? Zero interest in even selling it or even looking at it.

I guess on the same note, what happens to someone's debt if you are the next of kin? Say they have a credit card debt?

It aint yours unless you accept it from my understanding.

Comment

Originally posted by Txtourist View Post
      About once a year snowbird in-laws ask us to go in on timeshare "points" with them so they can stay a bit longer. (upgrades/extra days, don't know, don't care). We don't want anything to do with timeshares. Stayed at one 13 years ago on our honeymoon as a wedding gift from grandparents, wasn't our thing. Every year, around this time they hit us up and bring up that someday we'll be inheriting one of their timeshare weeks, they actually do an impressive pitch, as they sit through enough to get an extra day here or there at one. Is there a way to refuse this when they croak? Zero interest in even selling it or even looking at it.

I guess on the same note, what happens to someone's debt if you are the next of kin? Say they have a credit card debt?
      I’ve been wondering this about debt as well

Comment

Yes, I believe you can disclaim any inheritance.

The executor or administrator of the estate is supposed to pay off any debts from estate assets before distribution of said assets.

Comment

Originally posted by Bryan2014 View Post
          I’ve been wondering this about debt as well
          The debt goes with the estate

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Burnadell View Post

The executor or administrator of the estate is supposed to pay off any debts from estate assets before distribution of said assets.
            And if the estate doesn't have the funds to pay the debt and you co-signed you will become liable. If there was no co-signer, the debtor takes the loss.

Comment

Yes you can disclaim an inheritance.

Comment

When my mother in law passed I handled all of that and had to send the places a death certificate. The only place that gave me a bunch of crap was sears. Didn’t work I just sent them a death certificate. So get plenty of copies cause they want original.

Comment

Originally posted by thorn4570 View Post
                  When my mother in law passed I handled all of that and had to send the places a death certificate. The only place that gave me a bunch of crap was sears. Didn’t work I just sent them a death certificate. So get plenty of copies cause they want original.
                  This went on for 2 years after my brother passed. Here we are 4 years later and I get an occasional phone call.........

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny Dangerr View Post
                    This went on for 2 years after my brother passed. Here we are 4 years later and I get an occasional phone call.........
                    I understand that! My mother has been dead for a year and a half. I still get phone calls from sales people asking for her and they tell me that they talked to her last week! I just tell them that she isn't here and they can call back.

Comment

one of the get out of your time share companies on the radio said something about heirs being stuck with the time shares, doesn't apply to me but did think that was odd

Comment

A time share is not an inheritance

Comment

Originally posted by MAP View Post
                          A time share is not an inheritance
                          Of course it's not, but it can be inherited. Explain what you mean, pleeze.

Comment

The interest is an asset of The estate and therefore inheritable

You do not have to accept it.

The heir may refuse the inheritance

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                            X