Estes Park, CO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Estes Park, CO

We are heading there in July for the first time and wondering what recommendations are a must do. Staying in a cabin. Will have our 2 kids with us so need some ideas keeping them busy. I know there are UTV trails and such which we plan on doing a couple days. Do they allow use of UTVs if I bring my own? I know you can rent them but $$$, so thought I might consider trailering mine up there. Any online trail maps to start looking at? Will be trying our luck at fly fishing as well. Any other recommendations? Thanks

Some nice spots just north in Wyoming to fish and ride. July is a busy time in the mountains. Look for some local festivals . Up here in Laramie we'll have Jubilee Days just after the 4th. Frontier Days starts in Cheyenne later in July and the rodeo is a good one.
    The Air Force Thunderbirds alspo put on a free airshow just outside Cheyenne.It would be a good chance to add Wyoming to your kids states visited list. The drive over highway 130 in the Snowy range is beautiful.
    If you bring your atv you'll need a sticker to ride on the public lands and trails, Colorado Parks sells them, Wyoming requires one too, for sale at many spots in state .

Comment

we plan to go there - heard the drive thru estes park is awesome - the town itself is suppose to be very cool- my advice is just pay for a 4 wheeler - too long a drive to haul yours

Comment

Originally posted by wytex View Post
        Some nice spots just north in Wyoming to fish and ride. July is a busy time in the mountains. Look for some local festivals . Up here in Laramie we'll have Jubilee Days just after the 4th. Frontier Days starts in Cheyenne later in July and the rodeo is a good one.
        The Air Force Thunderbirds alspo put on a free airshow just outside Cheyenne.It would be a good chance to add Wyoming to your kids states visited list. The drive over highway 130 in the Snowy range is beautiful.
        If you bring your atv you'll need a sticker to ride on the public lands and trails, Colorado Parks sells them, Wyoming requires one too, for sale at many spots in state .
        This sounds awesome! Might have to put that on next years trip.

Comment

Most beautiful visual picture I have in my mind still today. Was stopping at a roadside pull off on the East side of town looking down into Estes Park with the sun going down thru the clouds. The lights of town coming to life. I can see it right now. That was 12 years ago. We stayed in a RV park that has older model RVs parked for rent. We saw them and thought on my what have we done. It turned out to be the best vacation we ever had. The kids had a play ground and a heated pool. Their own mountain to climb on. It was great. You will enjoy it.

Comment

I grew up in Ft Collins. I spent lots of time in Estes Park. Great fishing in the lake and river. Fun shops and restaurants on the main strip. Short drive to Golden to the Coors brewery. Lots of animals in the National Park. Watching elk on the golf course in the morning and afternoon is entertaining. Overall a great place to get out of the Texas summer heat.

Comment

We have been twice and will be back again July 3-9 this year.

Sooooooo much to do and see!!

Rooftop Rodeo is going one in July which is their largest festival of the year.

Lots of shopping.

Lots of food options.

Renting a UTV or Jeep was/is great fun.

Wildlife viewing tours - some have wild and crazy keep rides.

Hiking trails everywhere.

Horseback trail rides

Scenic drives

We have always rented an RV in Denver and drove around some serious Griswald Family type trips lol it’s awesome

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

We are going back to Estes July 1-6 this year.

For kids the Aerial Tramway at Prospect Mountain is great....feed the chipmonks and take in the views up top. There is a Bumper boat / go-kart place that we've been to many times when our kids were little.

RMNP is just incredible....you could spend a month up there and not see it all.

Comment

Headed there for a wedding in January, cannot wait!!

Comment

Originally posted by unclefish View Post
                    We are going back to Estes July 1-6 this year.

For kids the Aerial Tramway at Prospect Mountain is great....feed the chipmonks and take in the views up top. There is a Bumper boat / go-kart place that we've been to many times when our kids were little.

RMNP is just incredible....you could spend a month up there and not see it all.
                    This is goood to know. It’s a tradition to hit up go karts several times wherever we go. Kids and I absolutely love go karts. Gets really competitive to.

Comment

Horseback ride was good time, saw lot of wildlife. RMNP obviously. Peak to Peak by way in or out is a nice drive

Comment

for the fly fishing look up sasquatch fly fishing. my cousin will be guiding there for his second summer, ask to fish with michael edwards. he can definitely put you on some fish, and they have a couple of trips designed for families with kids.

Comment

Originally posted by rattler03 View Post
                          for the fly fishing look up sasquatch fly fishing. my cousin will be guiding there for his second summer, ask to fish with michael edwards. he can definitely put you on some fish, and they have a couple of trips designed for families with kids.
                          Will do. thanks for the info!

Comment

Hike RMNP for a few days

The Stanley Hotel ( inspiration for The Shining)

Golf ( Marianna Butte ) about 30 min drive. ( awesome golf course )

Raft the Big Thompson River

Drive to the top of mountain inside RMNP eat at restaurant up there.

Drive through the park and go to the Lake on other side... ( cant remember the name of the lake but it is beautiful

Comment

Working...
                            X