X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
    Turn off feeder...they will leave

True story
    ^this... people rely so heavily on corn feeders for deer hunting.

Plus deer probably aren't hitting corn heavily right now anyway.

Having said that, Hog Panels worked really well for us in the past. Deer don't mind jumping them because they're low.

Comment

Originally posted by raceruss2003 View Post
      There are more than enough people out here who would help you take care of these problem pigs. People who have families and would like to fill a freezer or two...
      Problem is they never kill any. Remove reason for them to be there (food/feeder) and them will move on

Contrary to belief, deer can be killed without a feeder ......... or just pen them out and hope deer adjust

Hunting pigs to manage them is rediculous Just look at "skinny" he's killed 53+ hogs and still has dozens on camera in the day time even

Comment

Find a deer trail.
        Sit.
        Wait.

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
          Problem is they never kill any. Remove reason for them to be there (food/feeder) and them will move on

Hunting pigs to manage them is rediculous Just look at "skinny" he's killed 53+ hogs and still has dozens on camera in the day time even
          Removing the food source for a little while may help, but won't they just show up later when you put it back.

Why aren't the people who have tried to help killing them?

Maybe pigs are a different, but herd, flock, fishery, etc... management seems to work for many other species. Problem is there may not be enough people trying to maintain the population at once like deer season, etc...

Comment

Build a hog panel circle with a trap door around that pen. Deer can jump in and out, hogs keep coming in but can't leave. You show up and dispatch 20 at a time. That's gonna help a good bit.

Comment

Originally posted by raceruss2003 View Post
              Removing the food source for a little while may help, but won't they just show up later when you put it back.

Why aren't the people who have tried to help killing them?

Maybe pigs are a different, but herd, flock, fishery, etc... management seems to work for many other species. Problem is there may not be enough people trying to maintain the population at once like deer season, etc...
              Harvesting 66% of the total population per year is required to keep the Texas feral pig populations stable
              It's rather hard to kill 66% of the hogs by any current legal means. And that's just to keep the population where it currently is.

Comment

Pigs will be pigs. As soon as you start feeding again, they will be back that night. They are smart.

I would put up feed pens around my set ups.
                If you really want to control numbers, find a professional hog trapper.
                We are HF and shoot every hog we see. Our hog numbers have done nothing but gone up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Will happily help this the herd.

Comment

1. 10 pounds of tannerite
                    2. Wrap ball bearings around container of tannerite
                    3. Get back 100 yards
                    4. Wait for pigs to show up
                    5. BOOM!

This method may also result in the need for a new feeder, but it would be awesome

Comment

Pigs are very smart, I have them around every year under the feeder and just dealt with them. They tore up everything that was built to keep them out, yes that includes hog panel. I finally took my feeder down after this past season, I was feeding way too many hogs and only had one doe coming in regularly by the end. But it's not all bad I never hunted over the feeder, and have never killed a deer over the feeder I just liked having it up for the pics.

Tried doing hand corn and they find that after a couple days and clean up what the deer leave and keep coming back for days to check for more. I still catch some on camera away from where I hand corn passing thru but haven't seen a herd since I took the feeder down.

I think I will put one up again eventually and try again, but for this season I won't have one and will continue hand corning when I go pull cards and when I go hunt.

Comment

No shortage of "help" around here !!!!! Hahahaha

Comment

Two words: Gatling gun

Comment

It might be a losing battle.

Comment

Deer Season pressure will help. They will go nocturnal.
                              If your feeders are going off during the day and you're mostly seeing pigs at night. You're good. There are times of year when the deer just do "deer" and eat what is available. It's been a pretty green and decent summer in a lot of the state.

Personally, I'd be shooting them often!! Especially if you're a bow hunter. Great way to test your set up before deer season. Super FUN!!!!

Comment

Hog panels.... We did this and pigs dont mess with the feeders.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X